Which 24V inverter?

gobble

Hey folks
Currently using a Luminous single battery inverter rated at 1100va. Before buying, I imagined at 80% PF efficiency it would support my PC with a 650W gold psu easily but I find unexpected shutdowns when lights go off suddenly. Apart from 5 fans and an all led lighting which is mostly off in daytime when power cuts happen there is not much other load. Rarely my Plasma TV is on in the daytime. I have a wattmeter which I plugged directly into the inverter output and measured 540-545V as the point of failure/reboot for the inverter. That’s an efficiency of less than 50%! Multiple motherboard changes by the Luminous technician during warranty did not improve anything on this front. Other than that the Inverter is running flawlessly for more than two years now ( I seldom touch the peak load when power cuts happen but I want to change the situation to a 100% capacity/reliability one).

Anyways thinking of a double battery 24v system which can handle 750-800W real world peak load for 1h at least and can still run for 4h minimum (My PC is not expected to run at full load more than 1h at a time usually). Which Inverter model and batteries do you folks recommend? Because of my computer, I usually run the inverter in UPS mode for the whole house.

I run a dual monitor setup but aim for a triple monitor in future.
Thanks

Last edited:
If your budget supports, get an online Ups. That's the only way to ensure that you will get the cleanest backup with an efficiency of more than 90%.

I think that’s an overkill for whole house inverter. Perhaps good for specific devices like audio. Besides most computer PSUs have a hold time of about 16msecs sufficient for changeover from mains to inverter and back.
Another question - is it recommended to add a new battery to pair with old when moving to a dual battery setup? Or should both be the same age? I know battery life might differ hence longevity of backup might not be top notch but I am more interested in handling higher momentary peak loads.

You can buy the

SU-KAM FUSION-I 2KVA 24V PURE SINE WAVE COMMERCIAL UPS​

Both batteries have to be the same amperage rating. eg 100amps each. If the old battery reads 13.3 v on the multimeter while disconnected from mains you can use it along with a new battery.
There is no guarantee a home UPS can provide the required switchover time for a computer SMPS, efficiency does not matter. Only a computer UPS can give better results if switchover time is important.

Ps: Plasma TVs usually consume anything between 300-500w when switched on. They are not as efficient as LCD or led.

Last edited:
Hmm not sure if you are up-to-date with the market. I learnt the hard way after my older SU-Kam UPS suffered a water splash and needed repairs. I searched three whole days for their customer care number and website and could not find it to my utter frustration! Being monsoon I was experiencing excess and multiple power cuts a day the entire week. Imagine my frustration levels!

it was only on the 4th day I discovered that the company had shut down hence there no longer any website for it.
Apparently their battery manufacturing plant had technological defects that led to too many RMA claims on their batteries and the company sank.

We must never buy batteries from inverter companies they are built to a cost mostly rebranded with lower spec from other OEM.
Exide, Amaron and Tata power are the better ones.
If warranty is of concern then one can look at Luminous or APC inverter. I am not sure if APC has pure sine wave home inverter.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back