which blu ray player??

sujithblaze

Hi all,
I recently completed my 5.1 setup, now i'm looking for a blu ray player, my tv is a non 3d model, it is full hd though. My main source of playback will be mp4, avi and mkv files which i have in my hdd, but the problem is that,when i play it by plugging to the usb port of my tv im not getting that impressive 5.1 sound, i have tried using pro logic II mode in my receiver still the sound is not that great, i would say 70 % movies the sound is below average, some files give really good surround, i am searching for a player which can give me 5.1 on a file which is encoded in 2.0 aac format, or a player which will decode 2 channel and convert to 5.1 so that i can enjoy them in 5.1. i'm using optical out from my tv. Also should i get a region free player, my budget will be 15k. Also if i get a 3d blu ray player will i be able to watch 3d movies in 2d on my non 3d tv
guys plz drop in ur suggestions

Regards,
Sujith

Since you main source are mp4, avi and mkv files, what you need is a media player. Not a Blu-ray player.

Cheers

According to me the avr is doing its bit in converting 2.0 to 5.1 by using pro logic or dts neo. Inorder to experience true surround sound the best you can do is get files with either dts or ac3(dolby digital) content. If downloaded content is what you are looking for then i guess its against forum rules to discuss. PM me or google it if you need help with finding 5.1 movies. Even a media player will not be able to convert 2.0 to 5.1 and give the same effect what dolby or dts raw content can

What are your views about philips blu ray players 2180/94 which is available fro 6k and 3480 which is available for 7 k, the latter has a dac, i guess thats the only difference, if i buy the pioneer bdp 170 will it be a huge upgrade compared to the philips player, i will be hooking up the blu ray player to my denon x1000

should i get a blu ray player with DAC or without dac, i will using it to play blu ray discs and files off the usb stick the philips 2180 i can get it for 6k which has no dac for 7k i can get philips 3480 and pioneer bdp 170 will be 9600 so which one should i get will the 2180 be enough for me ,also what does this mean ---> "DTS 2.0 + Digital out "
also these are the formats supported by philips blu ray player

Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD
DTS 2.0 + Digital out

am i missing out on dts here please help me understand

Last edited:
Samsung BD H6500 = handles MPEG2/4, DivX/DivX HD, AVCHD, MKV and WMV video files and there is compatibility with JPEG and MPO for your photos. In terms of audio support the H6500 is able to output DTS-HD as Bitstream as well as decode it and output as LPCM. The player will also handle AAC, MP3 and WMA, whilst photos in JPEG and MPO formats can be viewed.

fastest performing player

DOLBY DIGITAL
Yes
DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS
Yes
DOLBY TRUE HD
Yes
DTS-HD DECODER
Yes
DTS SURROUND
Yes

Pioneer bd 170 --- good brand but
smuggled goods / gray product is being available on line ... not sure about its after sale warranty

i would go for bd h6500
i am gonna buy this one

I have listed my rarely used Sony Blu-ray player in sale section.
It supports all mentioned audio/video/image codecs. See if it suits for your need.

Here is the link :
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/58055-sony-bdp-s1100.html

should i get a blu ray player with DAC or without dac, i will using it to play blu ray discs and files off the usb stick the philips 2180 i can get it for 6k which has no dac for 7k i can get philips 3480 and pioneer bdp 170 will be 9600 so which one should i get will the 2180 be enough for me ,also what does this mean ---> "DTS 2.0 + Digital out "

Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD
DTS 2.0 + Digital out

please suggest a BR player which can play all media through USB and do the decoding part. Output as 5.1/7.1 I can avoid another expense of buying Receiver if decoding done internally.
Another option is going HTPC route but I couldnt find 6 channel out and spdif on Intel NUC

Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby True HD
DTS 2.0 + Digital out

I have the same question. If I invest on a good AVR, will BDP's DAC capabilities become redundant?

I have the same question. If I invest on a good AVR, will BDP's DAC capabilities become redundant?

If you are connecting your AVR (Digital) with HDMI then there is no use of BDP's inbuilt DAC. AVR will convert digital to analog itself.

BDP's DAC is useful if you have analog AVR or connecting it with any 2 channel amplier.

+1 to that.

In addition, if you have a good bdp like oppo 103, you'll bring home a very nice dac then. It has upto 7.1 analog op. All you need is 5/7 monoblock amplifiers. The overall experience will be far better than a AVR at same price point. Btw...by monoblock I meant DIY amps only. Branded monoblocks will cost way way above.

An AVR is jack of all trades but master of none.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back