Which car to buy?

avidyarthy

Criteria:
- self drive, no help
- family of 4, but get guests at home ... so, luggage would be there
- seldom would be used for long hauls
- petrol only ... please don't ask me why not diesel ..
- hatchback .. sort of. Parking is always an issue in Delhi. No long cars please.
- service and low cost spares (important ... in fact, very)
- AC must, power steering must. Not too keen on power windows. More the bells & whistles, more the headaches.
- Music system/FM factory installed .... not a necessity. Would do so, as per my choice later on.

So, looking for VFM only .....

Choices .... i20, Figo, Punto, Ritz, Eeco ... don't like the look of the Chevy .. any others? Although, Eeco is a misfit here, am somehow liking its looks, design and utility.... and obviously the price.

Any ideas and suggestions, guys .........

Criteria:
- self drive, no help
- hatchback .. sort of. Parking is always an issue in Delhi. No long cars please.
- AC must, power steering must. Not too keen on power windows. More the bells & whistles, more the headaches.
- Music system/FM factory installed .... not a necessity. Would do so, as per my choice later on.

Choices .... i20, Figo, Punto, Ritz, Eeco ... don't like the look of the Chevy .. any others? Although, Eeco is a misfit here, am somehow liking its looks, design and utility.... and obviously the price.

hi avidyarthi -

as long as you are not buying skoda - you will be okay!!

american cars are heavy on repairs after the first 2 years -

suzuki ritz and eeco should be on your list - they will serve you well -( being a jap car and not an east european compromise)

regds suri

VW Polo should be first in your list.
excellent exterior and interiors.
But if you go for VFM it is RITZ ...

since you are ok with the looks of Eeco you can go ahead with that and spend the extra lakhs you saved on other things you love like A/V gear:)

VW Polo would be a good bet, though the engine is supposed to be underpowered. But service and support and cost of spares we will have to wait and watch.
So in present circumstances best bet is Ritz with 1.2 K series engine.
As Suri said, Ford, Chevy all will start acting up after a coupla years. Atleast that has been the case till now with all their earlier products.
Eeco I dont know, not until the model gains a foothold in the market, would I go for it.

Criteria:

Polo,Punto(drives good) or the figo(practicality).

The Ritz has the Maruti factor(cheap to maintain) and engine is decent.

Thank god you did not consider a Honda, specially the Jazz in this segment(Overpriced Cheap quality joke of a Japanese toy).

Last edited:
Criteria:
- self drive, no help

Considering your primary requirements of service/spares, leaves you with only Maruti and Hyundai (not sure about Tata).

Overall, from what I've seen and personally experienced in small cars:

Maruti plus -
  • great pricing
  • very good petrol mileage (which is #1 criteria for many many people)
  • refined engine and gearbox
  • best service network in the country
  • low cost spares

Maruti minus -
  • lightweight and as a result not very safe in accidents, and does not come across as sturdily built (doors and body feel slightly tinny)
  • usually has an average suspension - does not handle potholes well
  • generally tiny with little legroom
  • usually very small boot/storage space
  • usually comes with minimal features

Hyundai plus -
  • second best service network (to my knowledge)
  • reasonably priced spares (to my knowledge)
  • usually has a lot more legroom and headroom than Maruti
  • usually has a much larger boot and storage space than Maruti
  • some models give great features.. please note that all features are not necessarily frills and widgets - a 60/40 foldable rear seat is a very very useful feature, especially when you have oversized luggage or you are trying to transport mid-sized furniture, while allowing 1-2 people to still sit in the rear seat
  • fairly sturdily built in the small car segment.. well at least better than Maruti
  • usually better suspension than Maruti.. or at least handles potholes a bit better

Hyundai minus -
  • more expensive than Maruti
  • in general, mileage is not as good as Maruti
  • service network is not as extensive as Maruti
  • not sure about cost of spares

I've owned both, and have been happy with both. Personally, if I was looking at a car for a family of 4, I would find Hyundai more practical, more versatile, better built. However, I have not looked at Ritz and it may be perfect for your needs. You can also look at Getz if you don't mind a slightly old model.. last I knew, it was being sold for a very good discount, and this is a very roomy and sturdy car. i20 is a very very good car too, but is also a tad expensive (all depends on your budget). This is also one very good looking car (though Punto looks gorgeous).

If you are not in a tearing hurry, it might be worthwhile waiting. Both Toyota and Honda are supposed to be introducing cars in the 5 lakh range. The quality of engines in these brands far outstrips the others, IMO.

Cheers

I think you have already given the Eeco the green signal, so go ahead & pick it up :D
Fits your requirements & thats what matters.....

If you are not in a tearing hurry, it might be worthwhile waiting. Both Toyota and Honda are supposed to be introducing cars in the 5 lakh range. The quality of engines in these brands far outstrips the others, IMO.

Cheers

hi venkatcr - are you sure that these jap cars are reliable?

regds
suri

regds suri

We are between the devil and the deep blue sea. I either buy a Jap car like the Swift I have that needs the clutch to be changed every year, or buy an American car that does not even have the controls on the correct side. You end up flicking what you think are side indicators and you have the windscreen wiper swishing ominously, and a fellow vehicle on the road closing dangerously towards you. And, of course, they guzzle fuel like a grizzly bear.

Cheers

Cheers

When are they likely to come? I'm in the market too :licklips:

Cheers

regds
suri

Japanese Caps are much sought after in the audiophile world. Should it be different here? :)

Atleast I think all non American residents over there in USA seem to think American cars suck! Only the Americans seem to want them... :)

Cheers

Most of the cars made today are good cars. You will have to narrow down based on your specific preferences.

1.Japanese make fuel efficient and reliable cars but their interiors are not good and sometimes cramped.
2.American make heavy and roomy vehicles but their fuel consumption and spare costs are high but again they offer great discounts which covers up for high costs.
3.Koreans try to maintain the balance between the above two but most of their cars looks ridiculous.
4.Europeans have minor quality issues but their cars give you the ultimate sporty and classy looks.

Make your choice :licklips: My personal choice the 1.6 litre Ford Fiesta

Most of the cars made today are good cars. You will have to narrow down based on your specific preferences.

1.Japanese make fuel efficient and reliable cars but their interiors are not good and sometimes cramped.
2.American make heavy and roomy vehicles but their fuel consumption and spare costs are high but again they offer great discounts which covers up for high costs.
3.Koreans try to maintain the balance between the above two but most of their cars looks ridiculous.
4.Europeans have minor quality issues but their cars give you the ultimate sporty and classy looks.

Make your choice :licklips: My personal choice the 1.6 litre Ford Fiesta

I want all of them .. the good features from each in the list i.e :licklips:

Why not the Ford Figo? A mini Fusion relaunched with a mini price ? :)

Edit: Oops - you said Fiesta not Fusion .. sorry

Regards

Hai,

Why not Hyundai i20, for which the prices have been slashed recently, very spacious interiors, good for self drive. Though I have driven only the i10, in comparison the i20 should be much better.

N.Murali

My suggestion: VW Polo

excellent exterior and interiors.. fits all your requirement..
VFM as well..

Hey, the Polo is way too expensive for what they offer. No doubt their finish beats any other makes......... but still for a hatchback it's pricey.

cheers.

Cheers

I really doubt if the Toyota Etios and the Honda small car are going to cost 5 lakh. I think the plan is to launch it near the 6 lakh range. That is where the slightly bigger hatchbacks like the Fusion, Jazz and i20 lost it, I believe. Even the Chevy SRV - that was a glaring, humongous failure.

In India style comes secondary to utility. In fact everything comes secondary to utility and fuel efficiency. Those who understand that and yet manage to provide some semblance of sexiness and style win the cake. Those who dont, become lovely and classical management school examples.

To the OP - the Punto is a really good car. But I know of several people who would not want to go for a Fiat car - just the brand name is becoming a put-off in many circles. In that case, the Polo suggests itself.

Have you decided on whether you want to go for a petrol or a diesel?

Hai,

Why not Hyundai i20, for which the prices have been slashed recently, very spacious interiors, good for self drive. Though I have driven only the i10, in comparison the i20 should be much better.

N.Murali

Well, its got the bling factor covered. But its engine is a huge let down. Screechy, whiny motor that they have put in hardly befits the car.

Skoda too got away with the Fabia putting in an underpowered engine unit. But that engine had its own strengths. It was a torque monster and was way more refined. i20 and refinement do not fit in the same sentence, in my opinion.

Back