Which car to buy?

+1 to Vortex's suggestion - If it was Petrol I will put my money on Polo without a doubt. It's a no nonsense beauty, Fit & Finish are excellent, Gearshift is considered class leading and dynamics are also excellent. Again these factors are more towards enthusiasts, But again it should fit a sedately driven person as well. Only thing which you need to worry about is A.S.S and spare parts price.

Figo is a proven vehicle as well. It shares a lot of components with Fiesta which has been in the market for quite few time. It's got excellent boot space and decent leg room. Also Ford's drive-ability is considered good as well. It's the VFM hatchback one can get in the market. A fully loaded Petrol for close to 5.4 L is steal IMO.

Also there is a face lifted Wagon R with new K-Series engine releasing this month. It's coming loaded with bells & whistles. Wagon R is very light on it's steering and you feel not connected. May not be a issue for you, But that's not for a enthusiast. You'll get peace of mind on A.S.S & Spare Parts that you're buying a Maruti.

If you want a car close to you heart, drives well and excellent dynamics look for the European cars

If you want a car which gets you from A to B get a Korean or Japanese car.

If you want a car close to you heart, drives well and excellent dynamics look for the European cars

hi teky -
yes - i know your heart beats for VW - but what do you think of skoda - a sister brand?
regds

hmmmm ..... read all the views given till now.

Yes, I am not in a flaming hurry to procure .... Being an automobile engineer myself, well specialization was 'Internal Combustion' and 'Automobile Engineering' in college, but hardly ever got to use it in life, my criteria for hitech is reliability and fuel efficiency coupled with easily accessible spares and after sales service. So, 'utility' factor is of prime importance.

That is exactly why Eeco had caught my fancy. The let down was the 7 seater version does not have AC .... AC only available with 5 seater one. I have checked whether the AC can be outsourced later ... well, a wee bit difficult, but not impossible, due to space constraints in the smallish bonnet. A factory fitted one would have been peace of mind. Lets hope Suzuki understands this and starts putting that thing on to the 7-seat ones.

Fabia was great, though, with the basic engines and a sky high price. i20, without a doubt looks the best and have been told of its fair performance. Polo still has spares issues, same with the Fiat lineup.

So, open choices are Ritz, Figo, Eeco and maybe new Wagon R. Mind you, I have a fetish for the boxy designs.... somehow prefer them to curvy ones (does not apply to ...... :p). The sales pitch thrown about aerodynamics is all crap .... more so at vehicle speeds upto 60 kmph. Thats what I follow strictly ... maybe, go up to max. 80 kmph on highways. What I really look for is very good torque instead of power. Impossible to put 'power' in use in India ..... not only due to 'surprize' potholes on seemingly good stretches, but also the civic sense of the majority some of whom claim descendancy from Bacchan family and some local 'bhai'/'dada'/MP/MLA.

Again, to be frank don't want to dump cash beyond 3.5 to 4 L (ex-showroom) for the 4 wheels. Driving in Delhi is the reason. Not many cars remain 'virgins' beyond a few months no matter how careful you are.

My 800 deluxe bought in 1995 is still giving fantastic service even after compiling 1,75,000 kms. Reliability is something to be envious of. Only on 3 occasions in the last 15 years did I face non self do-able breakdowns on road and had to leave the car in a workshop. Twice, the timer belt had broken and once the clutch wire. Rest of the times, maybe 5 more instances, my automobile background was enough to sort out the matters so as not to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere. The car is now 'weak' on power and less fuel efficient. This I presume is due to the piston ring erosion which could be leaking off a part of the semi-combusted fuel mixture. The engine needs to be opened for this ...... no big deal, I know. The mileage is still an acceptable 14 kmpl with AC ...... down from the steady 19 kmpl earlier and 21 kmpl without AC in city ... moderate conditions, and a whopping 24 kmpl without AC on highways.

Also there is a face lifted Wagon R with new K-Series engine releasing this month. It's coming loaded with bells & whistles. Wagon R is very light on it's steering and you feel not connected. May not be a issue for you, But that's not for a enthusiast. You'll get peace of mind on A.S.S & Spare Parts that you're buying a Maruti..

Unfortunately the New Wagon-R in India is nothing like new version launched in Japan. The local one is being fitted with styling and exteriors of the Zen version.

And believe me its looking uglier than ever!!

Regards

Hmm...3.5 to 4 lakhs, why not think of Spark? Unless you have something against the shape, that is :). It is also curvy instead of boxy.

At that price, Spark is perhaps the only car giving you ABS and Airbags. And its not a bad drive at all. For the speeds that you drive in, it makes the most sense.

And avidyarthy - I am curious about your statement on the spares for Polo and Punto. Did you have any bad experiences? I ask because the Polo is very very new and there can hardly have been too many issues with spares as of now. Fiats having spare part issues is an old story and since they linked up with Tata, things have been pretty much addressed on that aspect.

Figo basic petrol is around 3.5 in Delhi ...ex-showroom. And that vehicle is quite spacy .... big too for a hatchback.

Yep, dont like the look of Spark ... no boot space .... looks very very compromised on space .... though, enough space inside. More of a girlie vehicle ... could be considered as a gift to one of my GFs :eek:hyeah:

Just been through that drill and settled on i10 automatic...my experience...

Figo - good looking car, lots of boot space, quite underpowered. Found the seat to be a bit uncomfy. The A/C is powerful. The looks euphoria is bound to wear off after a while. The car is solidly built and is priced right.
Punto - I found it the best looking car. Slightly sluggish at start but smooth at higher gears. The cost cutting shows in the interiors.
Beat - Love it or hate it looks (I love it). Cramped rear seat. Claustrophobic rear windows. Wierd rear door handle placement. Funky dashboard. Seating is a bit low and no option of seat hieght adjustment. Could not test drive it so cannot comment.
Swift - Probably the most popular car in this segment. Looks and performance is already well established. Drive is smooth. Interiors not as spacious as it looks. 3-8 months of waiting.
Ritz - Wierd rear shape (what were they thinking?). Test drove the diesel version. Not a comfy drive. The steering felt a bit heavy though very responsive. Was getting feedback from the gear box (abused demo car perhaps?). Felt a lot of body rolling, so the rear-middle passanger may feel motion sickness. Inner space is enough.
Indica Vista - Had a brief test drive of this car but own an Indica for 9 years now. Incredible inner space. Best in class. Rear visibility is improved due to a slight change in the C-pillar design. Must be considered if you are looking for lots of space. The ASS may be suspect as it is Tata.
WagonR - The improved 3rd gen is out now (is it?). Comfy drive though the driver may feel a little cramped. Boxy design not to everybody's liking. Lots of boot space. Established reputation as a performer. Older engine (does the new one have the K12 engine?)
Estilo - Slightly better design from the older version though it still looks wierd. Very plasticy and cheap interiors. Drive handles very well. Great road visibility.
Santro - Evergreen car. Easy to drive. Adequate inner space. Older technology
i10 - Very smooth drive, you won't know if the engine is running or not. (I crannked the engine again on the demo car while it was running). Adequate space inside. The interiors are chic. Good road view. The steering handles superbly.

For ASS, think no further than Maruti...Hyundai is next in line...can't say the same for Ford, Chevy et al...

Newer cars to wait for...VW Polo & Nissan Micra...

Unfortunately the New Wagon-R in India is nothing like new version launched in Japan. The local one is being fitted with styling and exteriors of the Zen version.

And believe me its looking uglier than ever!!

Regards

ooh! the new one looks good!! Top of my list now :)

Cheers

You changed your mind pretty soon ;)

IMO the old version is more appealing, Agreed it's not a head turner but was better than current gen.

a friend is going through a similar dilemma......he's deciding between i20, Figo, Swift and Polo.....so far the i20 seems like the best option. I can personally testify that the interiors, fit and finish, and ride quality are top notch. It feels like a much more expensive car. My friend drove it and said it was pretty nice to drive, but he couldn't really take it out on the highway to test the engine under strain. And the features they throw in for the price are excellent, for the same price as the mid-level Polo (roughly 5.93 lakhs on road in Bangalore), they provide integrated music system, climate control, rear window defogger....and i like the funky multi-information display on the dash, makes you feel like you're in a much more expensive car. I haven't driven the bugger though.

Tell him to check out the Figo too.

I stopped in the Delhi heat by the roadside to check on a parked Figo, and had a close look. Of course, that was a Titanium version and that is not what I am interested in ..... more to the basic 1.2 Petrol version only.

Lovely looking serene design. Low height as compared to the others. A very long wheel base and a wholesome boot. The i20 is very aggressive to look at ... more like a hungry shark ... not that I don't like it. But given the choice between the two, would settle for Figo.

So, now ....... choices for me are ... Figo, Eeco and new Wagon R. Planning to drop Ritz due to its 'inward ****' design, but not dropped 100% as yet.

Eeco 7-seat with AC, had it been there ...would'nt have wasted any energy ... thinking and surveying .....

Off Topic:
Why cant we start a forum for Automobiles as T-BHP's stringent policy for new requests, i tried and getting rejected for silly reasons.

@Mods, think if this is possible as we have enough strength.

You changed your mind pretty soon ;)

IMO the old version is more appealing, Agreed it's not a head turner but was better than current gen.

I saw some close-ups earlier that looked very Zen Estilio-isque but purportedly for the new Wagon. which I hated. But maybe they were not true pics of the new Wagon-R rather of the original Estilio.

Regards

hmmmm ..... read all the views given till now.

Yes, I am not in a flaming hurry to procure .... Being an automobile engineer myself, well specialization was 'Internal Combustion' and 'Automobile Engineering' in college, but hardly ever got to use it in life, my criteria for hitech is reliability and fuel efficiency coupled with easily accessible spares and after sales service. So, 'utility' factor is of prime importance.

That is exactly why Eeco had caught my fancy. The let down was the 7 seater version does not have AC .... AC only available with 5 seater one. I have checked whether the AC can be outsourced later ... well, a wee bit difficult, but not impossible, due to space constraints in the smallish bonnet. A factory fitted one would have been peace of mind. Lets hope Suzuki understands this and starts putting that thing on to the 7-seat ones.

Fabia was great, though, with the basic engines and a sky high price. i20, without a doubt looks the best and have been told of its fair performance. Polo still has spares issues, same with the Fiat lineup.

So, open choices are Ritz, Figo, Eeco and maybe new Wagon R. Mind you, I have a fetish for the boxy designs.... somehow prefer them to curvy ones (does not apply to ...... :p). The sales pitch thrown about aerodynamics is all crap .... more so at vehicle speeds upto 60 kmph. Thats what I follow strictly ... maybe, go up to max. 80 kmph on highways. What I really look for is very good torque instead of power. Impossible to put 'power' in use in India ..... not only due to 'surprize' potholes on seemingly good stretches, but also the civic sense of the majority some of whom claim descendancy from Bacchan family and some local 'bhai'/'dada'/MP/MLA.

Again, to be frank don't want to dump cash beyond 3.5 to 4 L (ex-showroom) for the 4 wheels. Driving in Delhi is the reason. Not many cars remain 'virgins' beyond a few months no matter how careful you are.

My 800 deluxe bought in 1995 is still giving fantastic service even after compiling 1,75,000 kms. Reliability is something to be envious of. Only on 3 occasions in the last 15 years did I face non self do-able breakdowns on road and had to leave the car in a workshop. Twice, the timer belt had broken and once the clutch wire. Rest of the times, maybe 5 more instances, my automobile background was enough to sort out the matters so as not to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere. The car is now 'weak' on power and less fuel efficient. This I presume is due to the piston ring erosion which could be leaking off a part of the semi-combusted fuel mixture. The engine needs to be opened for this ...... no big deal, I know. The mileage is still an acceptable 14 kmpl with AC ...... down from the steady 19 kmpl earlier and 21 kmpl without AC in city ... moderate conditions, and a whopping 24 kmpl without AC on highways.

Indica Vista also deserves consideration. Apart from it's not so good interiors, it delivers very impressive driving experience in terms of noise, pickup, suspension and ruggedness.

Indica Vista also deserves consideration. Apart from it's not so good interiors, it delivers very impressive driving experience in terms of noise, pickup, suspension and ruggedness.

Actually I have been thinking of the Indica as my next car. Given our road conditions, the Jap/Korean/US and other cars seem to have trouble in terms of suspension, rusting etc. Would a Indica make sense? When I took a test drive 2 years ago, the car was very sluggish in pickup, but I have seen a lot of taxis moving fast. What am I missing? A diesel Indica would be tempting in terms of fuel costs, and in terms of low maintenance if it has been designed and built to withstand Indian roads.

Cheers

Actually I have been thinking of the Indica as my next car. Given our road conditions, the Jap/Korean/US and other cars seem to have trouble in terms of suspension, rusting etc. Would a Indica make sense? When I took a test drive 2 years ago, the car was very sluggish in pickup, but I have seen a lot of taxis moving fast. What am I missing? A diesel Indica would be tempting in terms of fuel costs, and in terms of low maintenance if it has been designed and built to withstand Indian roads.

Cheers

hi venkatcr -

the tata manza might be a good car - ? the car looks good - has upmarket feel- ?

regds
suri

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back