Which car to buy?

but the i20 has 80 bhp compared to the 75 on the POlo and the 71 in the Figo, wouldn't those two be considered underpowered as well? Not to mention the three-cylinder-ness of the Polo?

True, none of them are power devils. It is one thing about having the power on tap, it is quite another to have a constant whine on the ears which also does not really help you accelerate as and when you want to.

I would have to test drive the Polo before I form an opinion. Mentally I have framed a positive picture of that car :). The Figo - I have no idea of. The i20 I have driven three times and each time believe me I felt that there was nothing much in it between the i10 and the i20. Guess what - the specs are the same! I came away thinking that the i10 is the better buy, no matter what. You buy the i20 for the chassis - that is all.

Why Denom?
Have you found my earlier posts to be so conservative to have come to a conclusion that avidyarthy would only look at an Eeco ...? :lol:

Yeah, but the tug of war is definitely between the two ... Figo, for looks and Eeco on utility. Still repeating, it would have been Eeco had it offered 7-seat with AC, which till date is not there.

I am a very unassuming, low-profile person ...say, more of an introvert. Exclusivity is about the last things I seek. Maybe, my experiences till now have made me like this.

From what I have seen, the 'more' is better. The more the number of vehicles of a particular make on the roads, the better would be the service, spare part availabilty and the longevity of the model etc. Thats a practical approach ... We, Indians do not change vehicles at the drop of a hat (wife neither ...:p). Definitely, things are changing and mind-sets too.

Someone mentioned in the previous posts about my Eeco choice ... yes, there is the 'roll' issue due to .... slight mismatch on macph suspensions, maybe higher CG. Please don't directly compare with Versa, since the width has also been increased. That takes care of this issue, some bit.

I do not, repeat ... do not drive for the pleasure of driving .... it is a patience-killing, blood-curdling, road-rage inducing experience in Delhi, if you have to commute long distances within the city. So, I HATE driving in here. Luckily, for now, my place of work is just 3 kms away from home. Earlier, it used to fluctuate between 15 to 24 kms ... the last 10 years. Roads have become impossible now ... and the Nano is expected to make them :mad:.

My car of choice would traverse low self-driveable (did I get the spellings right ..!) distance, at a modest 50-60 kmph max (if manageable, doubt though, except early morning and late hours) and get very speed specific gear-changes when required. Obviously, looking at my modest needs, a practical utility vehicle, would good fuel efficiency and low maintenance would fit the bill.

So avidhyarthy,
I take the final toss is between the Eeco & the Figo???
:D, still think you will buy the Eeco ;)

Without a doubt, Suri.

Precisely the reason why the 800 is still going strong after 1,75,000 kms over a 15 year time frame ..... was particular on not-revving too much, clutch-gear careful use on correct vehicle loading ... and anticipation 'driving' ie. when and 'if' to brake, slow acceleration ........ of course, leaving aside the sudden decisions one is forced to make in fast, unruly and congested traffic.

BTW, for city traffic ala Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, a SOHC with higher low end torque characteristics is rated to be more fuel efficient and responsive to the DOHC designs.

exactly dinyaar! - that requires anticipation of the pattern - of traffic flow - and what a person or car might do - the car must be an extension of self-

and driving this way is the least strain on the drive-train, the transmission, and the brake systems

If you driving is primarily in the city buy a Hyundai I10 - Automatic. Great engine with very good low speed torque. Auto gb makes it efortless to drive. U loose about 10% in fuel efficiency. But worth it.

I do not, repeat ... do not drive for the pleasure of driving .... it is a patience-killing, blood-curdling, road-rage inducing experience in Delhi, if you have to commute long distances within the city. So, I HATE driving in here. Luckily, for now, my place of work is just 3 kms away from home. Earlier, it used to fluctuate between 15 to 24 kms ... the last 10 years. Roads have become impossible now ... and the Nano is expected to make them :mad:.

Its only road rage inducing if you have a bad car that pains you every time you drive it. A good car takes away most of the pain of driving. Its also a myth that a small car is easier to drive and move around. Sure its easier to park but most big cars have better driving dynamics and ride than small cars which helps make things better. A bigger engine means more torque and as a result less frequent gear changes.

AND more fuel bills ......... you see, parking is one of the major issues too.

If comparing my carburetted 800 to the new entrants, yes, driveability would be far superior, hence lesser issues on the road-rage angle, but again only by a bit less, which does not make things better.

Contemplating to carry a .32 on person, but don't have the confidence of no- first use.......

Actually I have been thinking of the Indica as my next car. Given our road conditions, the Jap/Korean/US and other cars seem to have trouble in terms of suspension, rusting etc. Would a Indica make sense? When I took a test drive 2 years ago, the car was very sluggish in pickup, but I have seen a lot of taxis moving fast. What am I missing? A diesel Indica would be tempting in terms of fuel costs, and in terms of low maintenance if it has been designed and built to withstand Indian roads.

Cheers

The two apprehensions i.e. suspension and rusting are non issues in any India stable. I used one for five years and another (Indigo and Vista) since last two years. Pickup in non turbo Indica is below satisfaction, however in turbo models it is OK and in Vista it is very impressive, not matter whether the AC is on or off. In Indigo TDI, the pickup at low RPM, say 2000 RPM is sluggish while at higher RPM, it is OK.

Why Denom?
Have you found my earlier posts to be so conservative to have come to a conclusion that avidyarthy would only look at an Eeco ...? :lol:

Yeah, but the tug of war is definitely between the two ... Figo, for looks and Eeco on utility. Still repeating, it would have been Eeco had it offered 7-seat with AC, which till date is not there.

I am a very unassuming, low-profile person ...say, more of an introvert. Exclusivity is about the last things I seek. Maybe, my experiences till now have made me like this.

From what I have seen, the 'more' is better. The more the number of vehicles of a particular make on the roads, the better would be the service, spare part availabilty and the longevity of the model etc. Thats a practical approach ... We, Indians do not change vehicles at the drop of a hat (wife neither ...:p). Definitely, things are changing and mind-sets too.

Someone mentioned in the previous posts about my Eeco choice ... yes, there is the 'roll' issue due to .... slight mismatch on macph suspensions, maybe higher CG. Please don't directly compare with Versa, since the width has also been increased. That takes care of this issue, some bit.

My car of choice would traverse low self-driveable (did I get the spellings right ..!) distance, at a modest 50-60 kmph max (if manageable, doubt though, except early morning and late hours) and get very speed specific gear-changes when required. Obviously, looking at my modest needs, a practical utility vehicle, would good fuel efficiency and low maintenance would fit the bill.

I think you have already answered your question, my question & everybody's questions!!!
We now await your decision!!! (wink wink)
All the best:cool:

ok, then provide me the 7-seat AC (factory-fitted) Eeco ...... and take 100% amount upfront ..... :eek:hyeah:

Mr.Nakanishi of MUL has been briefed on your requirement, await a call from the R&D dept. of MUL in the next 72 hrs .....:cool:

You may thank me later:D

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back