which companies make neutral speakers.

Allow me to add a different perspective to this whole "neutral" debate

While you may be able to buy the most neutral speakers in the world, in order to enjoy them, you will need the most neutral ears - unfortunately we are all different in this department, and our listening capability changes as we grow and there is only so much you can do about it. (Lets not even get started about the room acoustics)

Case in point, I have a pair of Klipsch RF-35 speakers. Some people find them to be too bright - not me. I have a hearing problem (its hereditary from my fathers side) and I find it difficult to hear high frequency sounds (approx above 10kHz - from my own unscientific experiments.), and the (claimed) extra brightness of the Klipsh compensates for my hearing disability. For the same reasons, I also find the so called neutral speakers a little dull for my tastes. Mind you, I have absolutely no problem listening to everyday sounds and no one can tell I have a hearing disability - at least no one ever told me "sunai nahi deta kya?" :rolleyes:

The point I am trying to make is, unless you have perfect ears, you're better off listening to the speakers yourself and buying what you like most.

Last edited:
Allow me to add a different perspective to this whole "neutral" debate

While you may be able to buy the most neutral speakers in the world, in order to enjoy them, you will need the most neutral ears - unfortunately we are all different in this department, and our listening capability changes as we grow and there is only so much you can do about it. (Lets not even get started about the room acoustics)

Case in point, I have a pair of Klipsch RF-35 speakers. Some people find them to be too bright - not me. I have a hearing problem (its hereditary from my fathers side) and I find it difficult to hear high frequency sounds (approx above 10kHz - from my own unscientific experiments.), and the (claimed) extra brightness of the Klipsh compensates for my hearing disability. For the same reasons, I also find the so called neutral speakers a little dull for my tastes. Mind you, I have absolutely no problem listening to daily sounds and no one can tell I have a hearing disability - at least no one ever told me "sunai nahi deta kya?":rolleyes:

The point I am trying to make is, unless you have perfect ears, you're better off listening to the speakers yourself and buying what you like most.

now that's some nice statement
totally agree with you on that note:)

Interesting perspective ebirbal. The acoustics of rooms will be what they will be, as the audio room we have is what we have, whether we choose to make it acoustically perfect or not. Its true our listening capability changes as we age. But that was a well known fact since many many decades ago. Imagine if all the speaker users stopped buying better speakers because its impossible to have perfect ears and perfect room acoustics, would the engineers continue to develop all these superb loudspeaker technologies that we have today? What I heard at the IBC Show, once again made me realize, that loudspeaker technology can still advance in leaps and bounds even in this time an age when its already very good. The new Genelec 8260A coaxial technology breakthrough only happened due the pursuit to develop the ultimate neutral loudspeaker system. And it will lead to more ground breaking developments from all the other manufacturers to compete. Result will be better and better speakers from everywhere in time to come. Wont that be nice?

Last edited:
Wont that be nice?

Indeed so. The larger point I was trying to emphasize was the importance of self auditioning because the best may not be the best for you in your specific situation and this generalization may very well go beyond AV products.

I am sure the products I auditioned but didnt buy are all great products, just that they didn't work for me.
Peace.

Last edited:
Everything else being equal (i.e the type of room, amplification, recording etc), some speakers are more coloured than others. The more neutral speakers are supposed to be the really high end, very expensive and full range ones like the Wilsons, Kharmas, Avalons. But I don't think that there are absolutely neutral speakers out there as the variables are just too many to control (cabinet, damping, crossover, driver material, impedance, phase changes etc). The single driver ones could come close in the mid-range but suffer in the extremeties though I have not heard them.

Back