Which dac to buy

sydney

Hi

Im currently using the Cambridge audio dacmagic with a max resolution of 96khz. Looking to upgrade to another higher resolution dac however wont be able to audition. Some shortisted based on online reviews are Metrum Amethyst, chord qutest or schiit gungir multibit. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

How much of your music collection is going to become something more than 24/96?
Yes there are DACs that work at 32/384 or 32/768, but then where is the source material for this?
IMO, bits/sampling should not be the sole or deal breaking criteria for short listing a DAC.

The DACs you have short listed are rated to be very good. Have personally heard the Gungnir-MB.
Connect with local FMs to check if you can hear them out.

Cheers,
Raghu

Dacs you have chosen will all have different sound signatures, qutest being the most analytical one and aggressive, GMB will be analogish and in middle, metrum will have that NOS sound, round and rich and most analogish but with sacrificed details. Choose according to sound preference.

Thanks all for the replies, finally bought the chord qutest from headphonezone, arrived in 1 day. Initial impression is that the system sound has changed compared to my CA dacmagic much smoother. Could it be just psychological,hmm so have given it to a friend to get his review.

Thanks all for the replies, finally bought the chord qutest from headphonezone, arrived in 1 day. Initial impression is that the system sound has changed compared to my CA dacmagic much smoother. Could it be just psychological,hmm so have given it to a friend to get his review.

Congrats, I had both qutest and CA stream magic. Qutest will walk over dac magic any day and nothing like it if you like that sound. Enjoy your music. The smoothness you are getting is because of the usb galvanic isolation that qutest has, it's the best in the world usb interface in dac.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back