Which DVD player? Pioneer or Oppo

Gurudristi

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a DVD player for my HT and need your help to suggest me a good DVD player.
I currently own a Pioneer DV410. I want to upgrade it so that I can use it with my Projector ( LG XGA) or the Samsung 42" Plasma and use the current pioneer DVD player in my other room.
Though, I am quite happy with its performance of the Pioneer:), but, I feel Ithat I might be missing out on something....since I have heard so much of Oppo on the forum, that I was wondering if somebody could guide me on its:
(1)Performace
(2)Price
(3) availability in Mumbai

Thanks a Lot

Well both makes DVDp with value,performance for money you pay.
It depends on Budget.For upto 8k Pio 610 is best.Good features.

For 15k, oppo 980 is best.(award winner)
Both oppo & Pio use mediatek chip for video upscaling.
As per sound Q,oppo is better.

Hi Spiro,
Thanks for your reply.:)

For me, probably , I will look for a good video than good sound in a DVD player, Since I would be channelising the sound thru my AVR.

Oppo is almost double the price of Pioneer..... I was wondering whether it is really worth to pay that much extra...:confused:

Are these prices in Mumbai?

I have never used a Pioneer for any extended length of time so cannot comment there. I have seen the Oppo 983 in action though and it absolutely rocks especially for upscaling a SD DVD to HD or HD Ready standards.

I have never used a Pioneer for any extended length of time so cannot comment there. I have seen the Oppo 983 in action though and it absolutely rocks especially for upscaling a SD DVD to HD or HD Ready standards.

Moserw, Thanks,
I was wondering as to how much is the price differnce between an oppo 980 and 983? is 983 a higher series?:confused:

Another question which comes to mind is : Does the oppo come with region free DVD playback or is it region specific?

Actually, I was really keen to know whether its really worthwhile to spend the 15K for an oppo, when with 23K, I could go for a Blu-Ray player with DVD like the Sony PS3, which would give me BluRay+DVD+Games+media centre etc;)

Hi Spiro,
Thanks for your reply.:)

For me, probably , I will look for a good video than good sound in a DVD player, Since I would be channelising the sound thru my AVR.

Oppo is almost double the price of Pioneer..... I was wondering whether it is really worth to pay that much extra...:confused:

Are these prices in Mumbai?

Oppo is not available in Mumbai.Price of Pio 610 is from Graymarket.
From dealor it is 9k.

For video perormance,oppo is better than Pio.Pio610 is better than average DVDp such as LG388.

Pio 610 is better than 410.410 has some problems with video performance (hifi mag)

So all r good with that Budget.

Moserw, Thanks,
I was wondering as to how much is the price differnce between an oppo 980 and 983? is 983 a higher series?:confused:

Another question which comes to mind is : Does the oppo come with region free DVD playback or is it region specific?

Actually, I was really keen to know whether its really worthwhile to spend the 15K for an oppo, when with 23K, I could go for a Blu-Ray player with DVD like the Sony PS3, which would give me BluRay+DVD+Games+media centre etc;)

It depends on chip which is used for upscaling SD.

Oppo has worked with Mediatek & developed special chip,so cost increases.
SQ also improved on oppo,so price increases.
After spending 15k you get better video & stereo playback without spending extra money on HD AVR & CDp,SACDp.

If you have better AVR ,go for chip DVDp with HDMI output.

It depends on chip which is used for upscaling SD.

Oppo has worked with Mediatek & developed special chip,so cost increases.
SQ also improved on oppo,so price increases.
After spending 15k you get better video & stereo playback without spending extra money on HD AVR & CDp,SACDp.

If you have better AVR ,go for chip DVDp with HDMI output.

I will be using my DVD player with Denon AVR 3805....

I can either connect it directly with my projector thru the component cables or thru the AVR 3805...

I dont play VCD's so no problems..

I dont think it upscales to 1080p since it uses only component out. its does not have an hdmi input or output.....

Moserw, Thanks,

Guru,

The 980 is at USD 169.00, but comes with only HDMI v1.2a as per info on the website. The 983 was at USD 399.00, but is not being sold anymore and is being replaced by OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player. The 983 uses technology from Anchor Bay Anchor Bay VRS Technologies and this makes its PQ the best ever that I have personally comes across in terms of upscaling SD content to HD. I think the Oppo is region 1, but it can be made region free.

Finally, I am with you all the way about a PS3 being the best option especially when you can replace the 40 GB HDD to a 250 GB or 500 GB HDD it becomes an excellent media center and DVDP. If you can go for a PS3 then nothing like it in terms of VFM.

BTW I got my Oppo 983 at around 18K or so, but I got mine in the U.S. online and delivered to my SIL who will be brining it over when she comes. Not sure how much the 983 will cost locally thought the Indian website of Oppo quotes 42K for it which is ridiculous. You can get a PS3 and a Wii at that price...

Guru,

The 980 is at USD 169.00, but comes with only HDMI v1.2a as per info on the website. The 983 was at USD 399.00, but is not being sold anymore and is being replaced by OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player. The 983 uses technology from Anchor Bay Anchor Bay VRS Technologies and this makes its PQ the best ever that I have personally comes across in terms of upscaling SD content to HD. I think the Oppo is region 1, but it can be made region free.

Finally, I am with you all the way about a PS3 being the best option especially when you can replace the 40 GB HDD to a 250 GB or 500 GB HDD it becomes an excellent media center and DVDP. If you can go for a PS3 then nothing like it in terms of VFM.

BTW I got my Oppo 983 at around 18K or so, but I got mine in the U.S. online and delivered to my SIL who will be brining it over when she comes. Not sure how much the 983 will cost locally thought the Indian website of Oppo quotes 42K for it which is ridiculous. You can get a PS3 and a Wii at that price...

Moserw,
The whole problem is getting the Oppo in India and then later on looking for a service guy to service it (it may not be necessary if the built quality is good).
But buying an equipment even @18K, you just can't throw away if it gives you a problem....maybe you will not think about it if it was 5~7K.:confused:

But getting an Oppo at 42K!! Wow:eek:

I am seriously contemplating PS3, but the only worry is that whether it has got DVD -region free. And whether it would once in a while play the grey market DVDs..Opps!;).... The guys at Croma told me that it is not region free...but I am not sure whether they actually know it..... Any experience with it DVD capability....

The reason I am very keen for the DVD capability is that most of the movies/material available is on DVD format...and Blu Ray mass -availabilty in India is still some time... this way I could future proof by buying a PS3 :cool:

Still contemplating:p

I am not sure about the PS3 being region free. Knowing Sony I am sure it will be a locked system and all firmware updates will ensure that. Its not much of an issue for me since I will use my budget Philips DVDP for playing DVDs should the need arise or else the Oppo 983 will be there soon. For me the PS3 is mainly for upscaling and Divx rips especially H.264 rips since no DVDP plays that format right now and also to serve as a media center with upgradeable HDD space since I rip all my DVDs as Divx rips and store the main DVDs away.

If you are looking towards the PS3 mainly for playing DVDs i.e. SD content then it might not be a great idea. Any DVDP will do that and not cost as much.

I am not sure about the PS3 being region free. Knowing Sony I am sure it will be a locked system and all firmware updates will ensure that. Its not much of an issue for me since I will use my budget Philips DVDP for playing DVDs should the need arise or else the Oppo 983 will be there soon. For me the PS3 is mainly for upscaling and Divx rips especially H.264 rips since no DVDP plays that format right now and also to serve as a media center with upgradeable HDD space since I rip all my DVDs as Divx rips and store the main DVDs away.

If you are looking towards the PS3 mainly for playing DVDs i.e. SD content then it might not be a great idea. Any DVDP will do that and not cost as much.

Moserw,
Thanks..
Actually, I have two Pioneer DVD player, DV410 and 533. I could one of them for playing normal DVDs. :D and use the PS3 for Blu-Ray and media center.

DVD rips and upscaling seem a very good idea thru the PS3.... could you elaborate ....
Does it upscale thru component or HDMI, since my projector has only component in....

By the way, I have a D-link media lounge player as well as a D-link Network Attached Storage(NAS) with 1000GB, which I could use along with the PS3:confused:

Moserw,
Thanks..
Actually, I have two Pioneer DVD player, DV410 and 533. I could one of them for playing normal DVDs. :D and use the PS3 for Blu-Ray and media center.

DVD rips and upscaling seem a very good idea thru the PS3.... could you elaborate ....
Does it upscale thru component or HDMI, since my projector has only component in....

By the way, I have a D-link media lounge player as well as a D-link Network Attached Storage(NAS) with 1000GB, which I could use along with the PS3:confused:

Guru,

Since you already have two DVDP then a PS3 does not make much sense unless you have content that can be played only via the PS3 or you want it for its gaming. Coming to content then its only HD content like Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray rips like H.264, .mkv, etc. which will not play on the current generation of DVDP. Such formats can only be played via a PC which is the best option even today especially if you can upgrade or build a HTPC followed by the PS3 as the second best option. Don't even think of a PS3 unless you have lots of Blu-Ray discs or you have lots of HD rips. Even then evaluate between a HTPC and a PS3. Of course if you want the PS3 as a gaming machine then go for it. Coming to media center even there a HTPC will work out better, you can put a 500 GB HDD or a couple of them and store more data on the PC and nothing like a PC to handle all formats.

Guru,

What cn be big diff in HDMI1.3 & 1.2?
Denon 1930 with 1.1 was best DVDP with good video performance.

So I think only for SACD aud it is helpful.Secondly deep,rich 36 bit colour.
For normal LCD 1.2 is OK.

What do you think?

What cn be big diff in HDMI1.3 & 1.2?
Denon 1930 with 1.1 was best DVDP with good video performance.

So I think only for SACD aud it is helpful.Secondly deep,rich 36 bit colour.
For normal LCD 1.2 is OK.

What do you think?

For current content, SD DVDs, DVD rips, etc. no difference. But 1.3 does handle more data than 1.2 HDMI :: Resources among other things.

Moserw,

I think I will stick with your recommendation to wait for the PS3 a little more time till Blu ray discs/ contents are freely available.:p Though, I got quite interested in its media player and ripping capability.:(

For the time being, I can continueto use Pioneer 410 or maybe a upgrade to Pioneer 610, :confused: since I feel Oppo @ 18K or 42K is too high for a DVDp:eek: without a proper after sales service network.

Guru,

Buying equipment from abroad is always dicey especially without warranty, but to tell you the truth I have been doing it for years and never had any issue. I have had Indian versions of Samsung go bad though, but never stuff brought from abroad.

I do agree with you about laying off for now. The PS3 and even the Oppo are really required when you have tons of media that only plays on them or in the case of the Oppo you really want the best PQ in terms of upscaled SD content which the Oppo does a great job with. Otherwise a budget DVDP like a Philips will do just as fine and in your case the Pioneer 610 sounds great though I have personally not used a Pioneer DVDP for any length of time.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back