Which entry level DSLR to buy?

1. Save on camera body and get a better lens (the lens will do a huge difference) Even a 50mm (around 5k from Canon) will give you excellent results.

2. If you are starting out you can consider the Canon 1100D. I have same myself and got an extra lens with the saving 55-250. (one of the better decisions I took rather than getting a costly body itself. This way you have better range of shooting with the extra zoom. Also the kit lens supplied with the body is usually of very basic quality. I almost never use my kit lens anymore so that should tell you something!)

3. Get something that fits your had like a glove. The 1100D just fitted better in my hand due to its smaller design. This helps a lot in the longer run. Other bodies are quite bulky while it looks "cool" to have a chunky DSLR believe me it is a pain to carry it around everywhere. As you will not be just carrying the camera body but also some extra lenses, battery charger, an extra pack of batteries, some cleaning stuff and what not! :)

4. Stick with Canon or Nikon. Pick any one you wont be wrong! Both are good. Just pick any one you are comfortable with. Both are equally good. Period.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I would never go with a compact of 30K range or higher only for features. DSLR, even entry level is much more flexible, superior sensor, superior low light performance(acceptable noise level even at 3200 ISO), low shutter option(even bulb) and what not!
A SLR is a SLR, no comparison with any compact camera.

If you like to buy compact stick to 20K max. Anything higher go for (D)SLR.
1. In terms of controls - Canon G15 and Nikon P7700 offers you more controls than any other DSLR you will get on this side of 50K.
2. DSLR = Superior sensor - agreed. Superior lens? No way unless you buy 20-50K worth of prime lenses.
3. Superior low light performance? No. If the DSLR offers acceptable noise levels till 3200 ISO, then the compact offers the acceptable noise levels till ISO 800. Since the compact has a 2 stop aperture advantage, BOTH DSLR and compact perform equally well for low lights.

Excellent comparison. I read that Nikon P7700 is almost as good as canon G15 at a much much lesser price bracket.

Why no mention about Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200 at about 34K?
Because I didn't know about it. :D

The same can happen to a first time DSLR user. By the time he will set up his DSLR, he could have missed that shot which wasn't meant to last till he set up his camera. In such a case, a compact which powers on in a fraction of a second, focuses fast and gets you the shot is the camera to own. Many people (most people in fact) buy a DSLR and use it as a point-n-shoot. Why? Because, they either don't have the necessary skills, or the time, or both, to deal with the complexity of a DSLR.

To sum up, a DSLR will give you (1) ultimate in control (2) satisfaction of photography (3) space to hone your photography skills and rediscover things based on your personal philosophies. Be warned, however, that a DSLR will also bring you unwanted attention. Many people will suspect your motive and you will sense people around you becoming conscious about your presence (your DSLR rather). Warning #2, a DSLR may also open up a new avenue of expenses. Once you get into it, it's a lot of expenses. Lenses, filters, bags, lights, stands. Warning #3, be ready to get in shape. A good DSLR with a good lens might weigh around 1.5 Kg and will test the strength of your arms in anything but a short casual session.

Agreed, and the prime reason why I said earlier that if someone wishes to use DSLR and continue sticking with the 28-85 mm stock lens provided - its best to reconsider.

1. Why not streatch yr budget a bit an buy the D-90 with its standard Kit 28mm to 105 mm lens ? Good Pre owned are available for Rs 40,000 approx.

2. I disagree with the post that said that Canon colours are neutral, while Nikon is colour shifted.

In daylight, and with the default setup, IMHO Nikon yeilds deep, saturated colours... ( Look lovely without being 'Loud." while Canon yields Punchy, bright pics with high contrast ( yep ... 'Loud' ;) )

FWIW At a recent wedding I saw a photographer using Nikon. ( I admit, I am a Nikon Fan ). I asked him why he was using Nikon and not Canon.

He said he started with a canon, but often got into trouble with his customers because under flash ( as is usual for wedding photos taken at night), the customers often complained that the Bride's sari colour was Quite different from the real colour. One even refused to pay him, after showing him the saree..... He sold the Canon.

Last edited:
JFYI..
There is always a 'house' color with each vendor but there are features to fine tune it.
Hue, saturation, contrast, white balance, etc.. everything in configurable in a DSLR so one can achieve the effect to ones liking.

I would not even CONSIDER a compact instead of a DSLR.

The DSLR will provide you the space to grow yr photography interests.

And dont be fooled by the Meg Pixel count. The DSLR sensor is generally larger and will yield you consistently better pics.

Buying a Compact would be a Bad, regressive step.... IMHO ofcourse !

Anyways, this thread has gone on for so long ( its was URGENT - Right ? ;) ) thast maybe the camera has been bought but we all continue to 'discuss'. ???

rohitmusic said:
JFYI..
There is always a 'house' color with each vendor but there are features to fine tune it.
Hue, saturation, contrast, white balance, etc.. everything in configurable in a DSLR so one can achieve the effect to ones liking.

Yes, that is why I said "with the default setup."

Often changing the colour balance / colour temperature is a daunting task .... almost too daunting for a beginner.

Clearly the professional Wedding photographer "threw in the towel' on Canon, than optimise his camera setting to better accept night wedding shoots.

Get the best lens that you can afford.
Get the cheapest DSLR body that can support that lens.
Click RAW and post-process all your images.

If you follow the above three points, you will be happy for a long long time.

Get the best lens that you can afford.
Get the cheapest DSLR body that can support that lens.
Click RAW and post-process all your images.

If you follow the above three points, you will be happy for a long long time.

Great advice. I agree 100% but not so sure its for a person buying his first DSLR and getting into phography ....

Often the convenience for a zoom lens is invaluable for a beginner, multiplying the pleasure and versality.

The nth degree in picture quality, IMHO may not be so important at the initial stages of getting into photography.

Last edited:
Great advice. I agree 100% but not so sure its for a person buying his first DSLR and getting into phography ....

Often the convenience for a zoom lens is invaluable for a beginner, multiplying the pleasure and versality.

The nth degree in picture quality, IMHO may not be so important at the initial stages of getting into photography.

+1. I agree with Amp_Nut that a beginner to DSLR may get intimidated by all the talk about lenses, body, flashes, macro, wide angle, etc. It may be best to just start with a body and the basic kit lens. However, a strong suggestion from my side would be to additionally buy one good inexpensive prime lens that can give the OP an idea of what good quality lens are capable of. Both the Nikon and Cannon 50mm 1.8 lens are very good quality lens that can be had new for approx Rs 5000.

Best,
APK

My advice of good glass, cheap body and raw is applicable for beginners too.
Instead of paying high, good optics an be had for cheap like the standard 50mm lens with f/1.8
I always recommend staying away from zoom lenses especially beginners.
Clicking raw and the post-processing can provide image quality equivalent to top of the line camera bodies without investing in them.

For anyone who gets confused by the talk of lens, I suggest either keeping away from such cameras altogether or getting a good book on basics of photography.

One thing which a person should always remember - good photographs are not made by the cameras but by the person holding the camera. Camera is as good as the hands that hold it.

One thing which a person should always remember - good photographs are not made by the cameras but by the person holding the camera. Camera is as good as the hands that hold it.

Amen to that!

But then are'nt we all (me included!) as men facinated with big toys.....big TVs, big cars, big houses, big bank balances - the bigger the better. If it were just the person behind the camera that really matter, then we would'nt have so many brands and models of cameras!

Just my two cents.....

While no one .... in principle .... argue with the Use the the BEST quality lense, with a Fixed Focal length, mounted on a Cheap n cheerful camera, and spending tons of time tweaking every RAW photo individually, I would not subscribe to that approach for a beginner. It will ( most probably) kill his passion to take pics.

About 30 years ago I had bought a Nikon F-3 (Film) Camera, it was the Best that Nikon made at that time. I also bought a NIKKOR F1.4 55 mm Lens, which was then amongst the Best in its time, if used at F-1.8 to F-11.

I also had relatively budget lenses: a 28 mm Wide & a 200 mm telephoto.

The result, I lost a lot of photos, juggling with a lens change, and family being ticked off with the long time to take any pic.... but they obediently endured.:eek:

Today I have a D-90 with its kit VR lens 28 to 105 mm. I and my family take a Whole lot more of memorable pics, many of them invaluable candid pics.

A year ago, I dug out my F-3 + 50 mm Nikor pics ( Prints and mostly slides ) and had a closer look, comparing them tyo my pics today, with the budget pics..

Sharpnes wise I could not fault the current lens. Contrast and colour saturation, todays pics ( with a budget kit zoom) were BETTER. Could be the old pics had faded....

My point is that today's kit zoom lenses provide a Very Good level of performance and convenience at a great price. They make photography enjoyable and fun, rather than an absolute pursuit .... which has brought many to this great hobby. I feel todays DSLRs with their kit Zoom lenses are a Great way to get started and grow over the years, in which ever way you then want to take it forward.

To each their own ofcourse.....

Hello Everyone

1st of all extremely sorry for the delayed reply. I had created this thread on 27th february and had to go on Holiday on 28th february. After reading 1st few replies I decided there is no use in buying a camera in a hurry. Thus postponed My decision.

Since I went on Holiday next day I couldnt reply to the thread. There are very valuable replies here which would help in making a decision but I havent read them as yet. I would read them and get back later but now there is no hurry in buying a camera.

Dear Sanchit,

I was trying hifivision after a long time to research the same question, but after i have already bought by DSLR. I will tell you which one a while later.

I started my camera life with a 900 bucks Konica P & S in the film era. I directly moved to digital and bought an Olympus with a 10X zoom in 2002 or 2003 i guess for a fortune. I always used to get bugged about night photos indoors. I then moved to a Sony 15X zoom in 2007 and still had the same problem.

The Sony shutter button came off a few months back. I tried repairing it in Prabhakar in Mumbai (reputed to be the best, but absolutely useless in this case). It came off twice in succession (in the middle of my daughters birthday party) after paying him Rs 3500 in total. I decided to buy a new camera.

I was thinking of Canon SX 50 since it offers a 50X zoom and i freakout zooming (and this costs about 24K). I parallelly explored DSLRs and realised for the first time that low light noise is an essential curse of compacts (i may still be wrong). I seriously explored DSLRs and was amused at the offer for Canon 1100 d with double kit at 34K. I would have almost bought it, but for the fact that i researched a bit more in other forum and received similiar inputs. I had still made up my mind on 1100d, but in three vigorous hours of research prior to purchase, decided on Nikon. I was toying between 3100, 3200, 5100 and 5200 with an outside chance for 7000. Based on the price-value balance, i have finally bought a 5100, which i believe provides a higher than entry level control options (and possibly image quality) at a lower price than 7000.

The dpreview commentary on 5100, 7000, 3100 and the Canon 600 and 1100 are detailed. I also came across a detailed youtube video comparing Nikon 5100 and Canon 600.

Canon EOS 600D vs Nikon D5100 mid-range DSLR head to head - YouTube

The advantages that Nikon posed were more relevant to me as compared to that of Canon. That's where my inputs stand.

I am now trying to figure out which lens to buy. I am happy since at 29.3K i still have enough budget to buy a good lens.

Wish you the best in your search. I am sure the search for good subjects will be more fruitful than extra research on the Canon - Nikon question.

Regards

Just adding some of my thoughts and experiences....I am a hobbist photographer who specifically loves wildlife photography. For this I had to acquire some good Teles and Primes which cost me a bomb, but the results from these guns are very pleasing. And yes, I still use a 40D and I find no reason right away for me to upgrade. Of course I would love the full frames but not just right now.

I have a lot of my friends who approach me on advice to pick a good DSLR and Lens and they do have handsome budgets, however I always first try and understand what their requirement is and what type of photography they would like to explore. Some of them pick this hobby because they have seen others do it and the photographs they produce. Some I know use kits like 60D / 7D with f2.8 lenses and still shoot with AUTOMATIC MODES at weddings and general occasions :(. Their photography basis are close to none.

So what I advise first is, teach them basics on the Point and Shoot and show them that even those cams can give them decent shots. Also teach them on basic post processing which gives you the end result.

Cheers...

Hello Everyone

1st of all extremely sorry for the delayed reply. I had created this thread on 27th february and had to go on Holiday on 28th february. After reading 1st few replies I decided there is no use in buying a camera in a hurry. Thus postponed My decision.

Since I went on Holiday next day I couldnt reply to the thread. There are very valuable replies here which would help in making a decision but I havent read them as yet. I would read them and get back later but now there is no hurry in buying a camera.

though you may still be in doubt on this subject, but thanks to you, after going through this thread, i myself bought a used Canon 1000D for a good price, after a long-standing bout with self on whether to buy a DSLR or not :)

though you may still be in doubt on this subject, but thanks to you, after going through this thread, i myself bought a used Canon 1000D for a good price, after a long-standing bout with self on whether to buy a DSLR or not :)

I am glad that this thread helped you buy a DSLR. Even I would go this thread soon and make a decision shortly. :)

I am glad that this thread helped you buy a DSLR. Even I would go this thread soon and make a decision shortly. :)

sure! also, there are some good DSLRs available at good prices on ebay currently in their 'way too fab' sale. if you decide on a model, you could check there too, if not to buy, then as a reference for cost-comparison.

sure! also, there are some good DSLRs available at good prices on ebay currently in their 'way too fab' sale. if you decide on a model, you could check there too, if not to buy, then as a reference for cost-comparison.

I have almost decided to buy Nikon d5100 i.e. if I dont change My view after reading this thread. The lowest price on Ebay is Rs 29,280 and the lowest quote I got in market was Rs 29,000. I might be able to bargain a bit when I go to purchase the product.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back