• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Which Floor standing Speakers?

Rega

yusuf

Friends,

I need an advice for Floor standing speakers.

Currently I have a small HT setup with Yamaha HT-5960, four Polk M10 bookshelf speakers (M10), and a homemade subwoofer. I plan to add floorstands and use M10 as surround speakers. Can you suggest a good pair of speakers which can fit into the setup without upgrading receiver or anything else?

I was told that my amplifier (Yamaha) is not enough for some speakers like RTI A7 and I should look at Mission or Polk TSI series etc. Is that true? Considering that I am a very occasional user, I DO NOT plan to upgrade anything apart from adding floorstands.

Please advice. I will be occasionally using it for music and very very occasionally for watching movies.

Thanks
Yusuf

Last edited:

ashishkesarwani

That amp of yours would not be able to run Polk Rti A 7 to its optimum level as these speakers needs lot of amplifier power because of 2x 7" woofer drivers built into them, they are rated at 8 ohms but they even dip down to 4 ohms.

argho

Why not try out some good bookshelves. You may find that they more than meet yr expectations.

If you like Polk, try the RTiA1. I have them and am very happy with them.

yusuf

Actually I already have bookself speakers and hence planning to get slightly bigger speakers now. I am fine with any brand - just that I already have 4 polk M10 so polk would preferred but NOT mandatory and ok with mixing front with existing polk.

sydneyvj

Since your AVR has preout I would suggest that you invest in a good power amp before upgrading your speakers. Even though the HTR-5960 is capable of handling 4 ohm speakers for the front the polk will really open up with a power amp. just my $0.02c

yusuf

Since your AVR has preout I would suggest that you invest in a good power amp before upgrading your speakers. Even though the HTR-5960 is capable of handling 4 ohm speakers for the front the polk will really open up with a power amp. just my $0.02c

I agree sydneyvj but at this moment I do not plan to spend on amp - being a very occasional user, just want to get front speakers and complete the setup without spending on anything else.

jaudere

hi,

have you tried Mission M34i? i liked them with Yamaha AVRs. Even M33I is good but bass it better with 34i. if you already have a separate sub and do not use AVR in stereo mode, even 33i should be suffice. I didn't ask for your budget because i think that one should listen to the sound before asking the price. Ask the price only if you like the sound. I can guess that since you are upgrading, you already have a decent budget to get good sound.

ashishkesarwani

Try Auditioning Polk Rti A5 with a subwoofer and you will simply love this combination and they will also timbre match the rest of your setup.

Jinks

Hi all,

I would like some advice for a setup I am considering investing in:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floor standers with an NAD C326 amp and C545 CD player. Does anyone here use an NAD+Wharfedale setup, any thoughts on this?

thanks