Which Internal HDD for Music PC.

prepress

I am not sure if it is already discussed but posting it according to my requirement.

I am looking for an INTERNAL HDD with the space of 1Tb or 2 TB, which should be suitable for my requirement? Please see details below
Purpose : I will use it in my current PC for now because I am running out of space due to storage of my lossless .Wav files. I want to move my all files to new one and will add more lossless files whenever I have time to get them from my ACDs.
Future Plan : Later I will assemble an individual PC for MUSIC ONLY (like HTPC but music), then I will shift this HDD to new PC, may use separate 320GB or so for OS drive.
Brands : Seagate, WD Green/Blue/Black/Purple (not sure which is best for my requirement), Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi
Budget: 6-8K (if 2TB)

Any suggestion with reason would be a great help. Thanks for looking this post. :)

There are several threads along similar lines. You should search a bit.

Popular choices are Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital. Different users have had different experience with different brands. On average, these are the popular choices and you will not go wrong with any of these.

Personally I am using a mix of Seagate and Hitachi these days. Haven't had an HDD failure in last 7 years.

^ Thanks, actually heard some horror stories about Seagate (recent ones) that they are not liable, also would like to know the practical difference in the WD color series. As the music data is very important for me so don't want to get in replacement business or crashing issues.

Hi,

I have been using Buffalo Ministation HDD for the past 2 years. It is working like a charm. So far, I have not had any HDD failures. I have dropped it a couple of times accidentally but luckily its still working and going good.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hi,

I have been using Buffalo Ministation HDD for the past 2 years. It is working like a charm. So far, I have not had any HDD failures. I have dropped it a couple of times accidentally but luckily its still working and going good.

Was that external HDD? I am looking for reliable internal.

^ Thanks, actually heard some horror stories about Seagate (recent ones) that they are not liable, also would like to know the practical difference in the WD color series. As the music data is very important for me so don't want to get in replacement business or crashing issues.

You can opt for WD.

Green is their energy saving series. Black is for robust performance, but you don't really need that here. For a music PC any series is okay, really.

IF losslessfiles is the main item to store, do not go for the AV-GP category of drives (Western Digital Nomenclature but exists in some form for others too) since they are designed to ignore a few errors while read / write, some TLER related settings. Google knows all.

You can opt for WD.

Green is their energy saving series. Black is for robust performance, but you don't really need that here. For a music PC any series is okay, really.

Yes, read about it HERE, but not sure which is good for me as all are good :)

IF losslessfiles is the main item to store, do not go for the AV-GP category of drives (Western Digital Nomenclature but exists in some form for others too) since they are designed to ignore a few errors while read / write, some TLER related settings. Google knows all.

Yes, Lossless is the main item to store and some MP3 320kbps. By the way I should go for 2 numbers of 1TB or one of 2TB?
Any pros/cons? like different space available for use (in 1 TB, I may get around 925-950GB and in 2 TB it can be 1925GB etc.)

For just media (non OS / Programs) WD green is best. Using it since 2 years, no issues till now. Another reason especially to go for this is, this is quiet and it goes to idle when not used (that is how its ECO) .

So if not SSD/ External HDD then this will be best choice.

For just media (non OS / Programs) WD green is best. Using it since 2 years, no issues till now. Another reason especially to go for this is, this is quiet and it goes to idle when not used (that is how its ECO) .

When it becomes idle then what happens? works slowly as required/backend process?
If we install OS on it and leave idle for an hour.

When it becomes idle then what happens? works slowly as required/backend process?
If we install OS on it and leave idle for an hour.

Idle means when there is no data read and write in the disk. HDD firmware will take care of that. For OS, almost all the time there will be disk read/ write happening. So practically disk wont go idle.

And when we talk about latency with this drive as OS drive, you may face only when there are multiple programs running and you hardly realize. But when you are used to SSDs and high performance HDDs you will feel the difference.

For an HTPC this is quiet ok to use as main drive. Defenitly there wont be any hiccups while playing a FLAC audio or an HD movie. Because everything will handled by buffers. In case you need a good performance main drive go for SSD (samsung evo 120 gb is approx 5.5k now). And for media use this. Less noise and less heat.

/Arun

I understand, I am using normal HDDs (Seagate, Samsung 7200 rpm) and I am happy with them. I am not 100% sure about this WD Green "See 4th review on Amazon here"
I think Blue is okay, your call.

Idle means when there is no data read and write in the disk. HDD firmware will take care of that. For OS, almost all the time there will be disk read/ write happening. So practically disk wont go idle.

And when we talk about latency with this drive as OS drive, you may face only when there are multiple programs running and you hardly realize. But when you are used to SSDs and high performance HDDs you will feel the difference.

For an HTPC this is quiet ok to use as main drive. Defenitly there wont be any hiccups while playing a FLAC audio or an HD movie. Because everything will handled by buffers. In case you need a good performance main drive go for SSD (samsung evo 120 gb is approx 5.5k now). And for media use this. Less noise and less heat.

/Arun

By the way I should go for 2 numbers of 1TB or one of 2TB?
Any pros/cons? like different space available for use (in 1 TB, I may get around 925-950GB and in 2 TB it can be 1925GB etc.)

depends on how many unused sata ports are there in your mobo and how fast you think your 1 TB will fill up?

Actually, I'd have to open the cabinet to check, but I think I have two WD Greens in there. Not being involved in computer hardware (any longer) it is something I only take an interest in when buying/replacement time comes around.

So, having revealed that I am not the guy for recommending one over another, I'd still like to offer one general piece of advice. For a music PC, you want everything inside to be cool and quiet. HDDs make very little physical noise these days, but if they are hyper-powered monsters they will get hot, and you will need more/faster fans to carry that heat away. Even the best fans make some noise.

High performance is not needed for audio, compressed or uncompressed. If anyone says that they think high-speed HDDs are needed, they should contemplate how it is that PCs can play audio from incredibly slow CDs!

Keep it slow, keep it cool. Or if you're rich, buy SSD and enjoy the best of all possible worlds :eek:hyeah:

On a different, but related subject: whenever you increase the amount of data on your PC, be sure to have the external storage to keep it backed up.

^ Agree and make sense to me. Planning to go for 2TB, so few questions:

1. Should I go with 2 numbers 1 TB or 1 number of 2TB
Reason : I guess I will loose more space than 2TB if I go with 2 numbers 1TBs, as we get some less space.

2. As it becomes idle, did you notice any OS issue (slow, hang or something else) after installing that on this WD green?

I am not rich enough to afford 2TBs of SSD :lol:
Yes I have two external HDDs, 1TB and 500GB.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back