Which Internal HDD for Music PC.

Since you are storing all the music on HDD, it is better to use a RAID array to save yourself from complete loss if it completely fails.... and also stay away from Seagate.

RAID requires more hard disks to store the same amount of data, so increases the budget. It is not a guarantee against all kinds of failure and should never be thought to replace external backups. You can be sure that a lightening surge will take out your entire RAID! :cool:

(which, by the way, is why I keep my onsite backup disk unplugged from the PC except when actually in use.)

Software... I live in the Linux world and find grsync to be easy and excellent. There was a Windows thing that did much the same, called something like Always-something [???] that I thought was exellent. The only trouble was that it kept on accusing me of using it for professional use and telling me to buy a licence. I liked the software so much I bought the damned licence :lol:

When using synchronising software for backup, be sure that your settings do not delete on destination unless you having a big clean up and have really, really thought about it. (I had a "de-duping" session recently. Having removed all the duplicates and definately-garbage stuff from the PC, I did a delete-on-destination sync to the backups. After seriously perusing the what-will-this-do dry-run listing.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back