Which LCD/PLASMA to Buy

Ashwin

Hi All,

Its been quite amusing going through the different threads in this forum about the knowledge of you guys on the Television scene in indian markets. Hats off to you guys for the same. I am pretty pleased to find a lot of answers for questions which i needed to zero in on a particular product but after going through these threads as i have gained more knowledge i am more confused too....

To tell in short i am terribly confused. I feel those CRT days were better in the 90's where we need to go to a shop and pick either a SONY or a BPL:).

I have been through a lot of threads in this FORUM in the past few days and at last decided to ask you experts for suggestions in choosing a LCD or a Plasma television.

My Budget is around 35-40k and it can max stretch to 45k. I have a viewing distance of around 8 to 10 feet. The hall where the TV is kept is not brightly lit.

We watch a lot of Cable TV as well as movies. I don't have any gaming console as of now but am planning to buy one in the future. I am not a gaming fanatic but occasionally love to play games. I love to watch sports especially FORMULA 1, football and cricket.

If i have an option, i would like to have a TV with PIP as i love sports and no one loves the same at my home.

I personally look for vivid colors and the in depth picture quality from the TV which i want to buy from and decent sound performance as i like to watch movies a bit.

Here are my basic questions

1. Whats the best TV size suited for the above hall area?
2. Should i go for an LCD or a PLASMA Model?
3. Suggest me some good models that suites the above stuff.

I had zeroed in a few before checking out this forum which i have mentioned below.

1. LG3280FR Jazz 32".
2. Sony S series 32" or Sony V series 32".
3. After reading through this forum, i found panasonic v8 42" very interesting.
4. Philips 32" PFL5203.

Please feel free to comment on the above ones as well as suggest any new ones for adding onto the below list.

Please do reply back as i am under terrible confusion. :sad:

I live in south bangalore. So if some one could suggest me whats the best place to check out these stuff and buy the same it would be very helpful.

Regards
Ashwin

Said many a times and better repeated... bigger is better always holds true :)
With your price range ... if you are ok with a palsma .. PV8 seems to be the best option for you.!!

Please remember that the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PV8D and TH-42PV80D have only 1,024 x 768 resolution. So if you are looking for full 1080P HD resolution then you would need to look else where. For a 32 inch screen it does not matter, but with a 42 inch screen starts to show.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi All,

Its been quite amusing going through the different threads in this forum about the knowledge of you guys on the Television scene in indian markets. Hats off to you guys for the same. I am pretty pleased to find a lot of answers for questions which i needed to zero in on a particular product but after going through these threads as i have gained more knowledge i am more confused too....

To tell in short i am terribly confused. I feel those CRT days were better in the 90's where we need to go to a shop and pick either a SONY or a BPL:).

I have been through a lot of threads in this FORUM in the past few days and at last decided to ask you experts for suggestions in choosing a LCD or a Plasma television.

My Budget is around 35-40k and it can max stretch to 45k. I have a viewing distance of around 8 to 10 feet. The hall where the TV is kept is not brightly lit.

We watch a lot of Cable TV as well as movies. I don't have any gaming console as of now but am planning to buy one in the future. I am not a gaming fanatic but occasionally love to play games. I love to watch sports especially FORMULA 1, football and cricket.

If i have an option, i would like to have a TV with PIP as i love sports and no one loves the same at my home.

I personally look for vivid colors and the in depth picture quality from the TV which i want to buy from and decent sound performance as i like to watch movies a bit.

Here are my basic questions

1. Whats the best TV size suited for the above hall area?
2. Should i go for an LCD or a PLASMA Model?
3. Suggest me some good models that suites the above stuff.

I had zeroed in a few before checking out this forum which i have mentioned below.

1. LG3280FR Jazz 32".
2. Sony S series 32" or Sony V series 32".
3. After reading through this forum, i found panasonic v8 42" very interesting.
4. Philips 32" PFL5203.

Please feel free to comment on the above ones as well as suggest any new ones for adding onto the below list.

Please do reply back as i am under terrible confusion. :sad:

I live in south bangalore. So if some one could suggest me whats the best place to check out these stuff and buy the same it would be very helpful.

Regards
Ashwin

buddy

maybe you will feel bad, but there are many threads which are goin on and on, for the LCD/Plasma buying options...

both the technologies are far different from each other, and have there pros n cons...

first decide the size u lookin for thn accordingly ur viewing requirements...

and it will be appreciated if u could continue on the older threads for the same...

Hi Guys,

I have narrowed myself down to 32" LCD or a 42" Plasma in my price range. Could you guys please rate these models for me.

32" LCD
1. LG-32LG80FR
3. Panasonic-TX-32LX80
4. Panasonic-TX-32LX800
5. Philips-32PFL5203
6. Sony-KLV-32S400A
7. Sharp-LC-32D30M
8. Hitachi-L32A02A

42" Plasma
1. Panasonic-TH-42PV8H
2. LG-42PG61UR
3. Samsung-PS42A410P1

Thanks in advance
Ashwin

Ashwin,

At your max budget of 45K the Panasonic PV8 is a great TV, VFM and a great choice to boot. Cannot even understand how you want to stack up 32" vs. 42". Forget the technology war of LCD vs. Plasma and other things. If you can get 42" TV then why bother with even 32"? Just go with the PV8 or explore other options in the 40"+ segment your budget permitting. Always remember, the bigger the better.

Yeah the PV8 is HD Ready but most 32" TVs are also HD Ready and the Full HD ones at 32" will not really show any difference.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. If my budget allows to 45k i would definitely go for panasonic pv8 but i want to keep a second option for around 30 - 35k for which i have listed down the LCD's. Could you please suggest me on the LCD's so that i can go and check them out in the showroom?

Regards
Ashwin

Pl chk Samsung 32"A650 series --its full HD

its blacks,contrast ratio or better than othr LCD in ur list

& on par with PV8

u will get for 36k

Hi Guys,

Went to e-zone jayanagar yesterday. I checked out the PV8 as well as the LCD 32" LE8C. Both were very good. But i felt good about the philips as well as the sharp one too.

I found pv8 as very good picture quality and clarity of the pictures but its colour reproduction was dull compared to the sharp, sony or panny LCD.

My question is : was that because of the colour or contrast level settings or the panny pv8 is like that itself?

After lot of bargaining he quoted the below price
panny pv8 with exchange of my old 21" colour tv 45k
panny lcd with exchange of my old 21" colour tv 29.5k

Let me know whether prices are ok ?

Regards
Ashwin

Prices are good, but bargain for more. Tell them J.D. Electronics are giving at 45K without exchange. Coming to the color reproduction might be it was set at natural/standard, cos. it's bright and vibrant for me but I do tweak things up. Philips and Sharp are good too, just not sure about after sales service of Sharp so I did not go for it myself. Panasonic just edged out the Philips for me.

Hi Guys,

Went to e-zone jayanagar yesterday. I checked out the PV8 as well as the LCD 32" LE8C. Both were very good. But i felt good about the philips as well as the sharp one too.

I found pv8 as very good picture quality and clarity of the pictures but its colour reproduction was dull compared to the sharp, sony or panny LCD.

My question is : was that because of the colour or contrast level settings or the panny pv8 is like that itself?

Regards
Ashwin

Hi Ashwin,

I bought PV8 yesterday for 45.5K from Reliance Digital (no exchange) at Cunningham Road. The sales person said he can offer me additional 3-4K off for my old 21" CRT. I did not go for it since I don't want to part with my 10 yr old Sony.

They also gave some freebies (HDMI cable and 10 DVD pack).

Hi Guys,

Regards
Ashwin

Hi Guys,

Regards
Ashwin

Both of those are way too high. You can get the PV8 for 43-44k without exchange and I've seen the Panasonic LE8 for 24k at smaller shops.

Hi,

Could you please tell me the name and address of the small shop that you have mentioned where i can get the above deal or atleast the shop street or something like that so i can search on the same. It would be really helpful for me and it would be a great bargain.

Regards
Ashwin

Ashwin,

When I told them Devi's quote (45.5K is what Devi quoted); Reliance folks matched the quote. In some other thread; a member got it for 44.2K (I saw it later). You should try mentioning 44.2K as the price and who knows Reliance guys will match even that. I had been to Xcite, Croma and Ezone as well. The lowest I got was 47K from Xcite amongst them.

Devi also said that they will charge 2% extra for CC. At Reliance Digital, there was no such issue.

The reason for the dullness is that plasmas are less bright than LCDs, and work best with controlled lighting, with bright lighting, the LCDs will look better, but if you have the option of controlling the lighting in your viewing area, a PLasma will look better. Also consider the Samsung A410 plasma......comparable to the PV8, and better looking :) (i own it, that's why i am recommending it)...slightly more expensive.

Hi Guys,

Regards
Ashwin

Gurus and Owners , whats the best quote for 50PV80D and the 50PY850D in your cities

The best Ive got in Hyd is 1,09,000 and 165,000 respectively.

Hi scarface001,

I got a quote of 95K for 50PV80D from Reliance Digital. I think they might have reduced by a couple of more thousand if I would have shown interest in purchase.

Thanks,

Gurus and Owners , whats the best quote for 50PV80D and the 50PY850D in your cities

The best Ive got in Hyd is 1,09,000 and 165,000 respectively.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back