Which LCD/PLASMA to Buy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Where did you find the Panny Pv8 for 44.2K? I can check out in the same shop or which area's reliance digital outlet are you talking about in bangalore?

Regards
Ashwin

Ashwin,

Here is the thread: http://www.hifivision.com/television/4105-bought-pv8-yesterday-2.html

sunilgct got it for 44.2K from Devi (don't know whether Devi is located in any other place besides Bangalore).

Reliance Digital is located on Cunningham Road. It is opposite to Chandrika hotel and will come to your left (cunningham road is one way) at the Miller road junction.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Where did you find the Panny Pv8 for 44.2K? I can check out in the same shop or which area's reliance digital outlet are you talking about in bangalore?

Regards
Ashwin

Looking to buy a plasma have a look at the new LG plasma's New PQ Series.( Indian Models 42PQ60 & 50PQ30 &42PQ30).Excellent picture quality and very good pricing. The compareable UK models have got good reviews ( 42PQ6000 & 42PQ3000). There is also a big drop in prices. The 50 inch PQ30 has a MRP of RS 68990/- a min 10 % discount would be available bringing the price down to RS 62,000/-.

LG 42PQ60 MRP Rs 49,990/-
LG 42PQ30 MRP Rs 47,990/-
LG 50PQ30 MRP Rs 68,990/-

With these models looks like panasonic is going to have some tough competition.

Looking to buy a plasma have a look at the new LG plasma's New PQ Series.( Indian Models 42PQ60 & 50PQ30 &42PQ30).Excellent picture quality and very good pricing. The compareable UK models have got good reviews ( 42PQ6000 & 42PQ3000). There is also a big drop in prices. The 50 inch PQ30 has a MRP of RS 68990/- a min 10 % discount would be available bringing the price down to RS 62,000/-.

LG 42PQ60 MRP Rs 49,990/-
LG 42PQ30 MRP Rs 47,990/-
LG 50PQ30 MRP Rs 68,990/-

With these models looks like panasonic is going to have some tough competition.

Wow! These are in fact attractive prices for LG Plasmas. Worth considering or at least taking a look at these Plasmas in retail showrooms.

While PV8/PV80 are good Plasmas, in recent times retailers have been either out of stock of these or are quoting very high prices (e.g. Rs.48K to Rs.49.5K for PV8 and between Rs.55 to Rs. 60K for PV80). Not to mention, with the new TV ad campaigns for Panasonic, retailers may find a rush & demand and will not bring down the prices to Rs.42K - Rs. 44K levels, which many folks here on the forum boughts theirs (PV8) for, earlier.

oh thats really bad. Anyways have you enquired with them. Anyways i will check out in panasonic brand showroom tomorrow then.

does LG have a 50" Full HD Plasma?

Wow! These are in fact attractive prices for LG Plasmas. Worth considering or at least taking a look at these Plasmas in retail showrooms.

While PV8/PV80 are good Plasmas, in recent times retailers have been either out of stock of these or are quoting very high prices (e.g. Rs.48K to Rs.49.5K for PV8 and between Rs.55 to Rs. 60K for PV80). Not to mention, with the new TV ad campaigns for Panasonic, retailers may find a rush & demand and will not bring down the prices to Rs.42K - Rs. 44K levels, which many folks here on the forum boughts theirs (PV8) for, earlier.

Hi Hifi,

Did you enquire what would be the last price with exchange for the pv8? and did you anywhere enquire the price of the panny le8c LCD ? at the panasonic brand showroom. Did you visit the one in kormangla or shivaji nagar?

Regards
Ashwin

Last edited:
Hi Ashwin,

I did not inquire at Panasonic brand shop about exchange. Also, I was interested in 40 or 42" TV and Panasonic does not have any LCD available in that size here. I visited the one in Koramangla.
The exchange was offered at Reliance and he said 3-4K off was possible for exchange. It should be possible to get such an offer from other places as well.
Hi Hifi,

Did you enquire what would be the last price with exchange for the pv8? and did you anywhere enquire the price of the panny le8c LCD ? at the panasonic brand showroom. Did you visit the one in kormangla or shivaji nagar?

Regards
Ashwin

Hi Hifi,

Did you get your TV? one more point the viera offer is not limited to panasonic brand shops. Its available elsewhere too. iI checked the same in Devi and one more place. Ask the reliance guy else ask the panasonic customer care center for the same. If you need details check out the today edition of TOI where the offer is present.

Regards
Ashwin

Hi Ashwin,

I am enjoying it for last two days :).

You are absolutely right. It is available in all the shops where Panasonic TVs are available.

I called up Reliance guys today morning itself after seeing the same ad. I went over there and scratched the card (got 50 DVD pack ). They will be giving the gifts only in second week of May though.

Thanks,

Hi Hifi,

Did you get your TV? one more point the viera offer is not limited to panasonic brand shops. Its available elsewhere too. iI checked the same in Devi and one more place. Ask the reliance guy else ask the panasonic customer care center for the same. If you need details check out the today edition of TOI where the offer is present.

Regards
Ashwin

VCD PQ on HD Ready Plasma versus Full HD LCDs:

Those owning a Panasonic Plasma PV8/80 and also those having a Full HD (irrespective of brand), can you please give inputs as to how original VCDs (e.g Moser Baer, Hollywood animated films etc.) appear on your respective screens? I have read a lot, of folks taking their own DVDs to the store to compare PQ. Anyone tried comparison with VCDs?

Asking because, have been purchasing a lot of VCDs from Crossword, PlanetM etc., so curious about PQ. Planning to purchase a 42 Plasma (Panasonic) OR a 42/40 SAMSUNG / SONY / LG LCD, once new 2009 models are available.

Mainly we watch Tata Sky and on weekends VCD / DVD movies. Not much into games. 8-9 viewing distance.

Panasonic PV8 Plasma is something I would like to consider strongly, given, all the good reviews read on this forum. However, given the recent trend in rise in prices (no more available for Rs.42K Rs.44K) the PV8 does not seem that attractive (VFM). And the PV80 is even more. At around Rs.58K +-, can get a Full HD 40" SAMSUNG or LG.

Thoughts?

VCD PQ on HD Ready Plasma versus Full HD LCDs:

Those owning a Panasonic Plasma PV8/80 and also those having a Full HD (irrespective of brand), can you please give inputs as to how original VCDs (e.g Moser Baer, Hollywood animated films etc.) appear on your respective screens? I have read a lot, of folks taking their own DVDs to the store to compare PQ. Anyone tried comparison with VCDs?

Asking because, have been purchasing a lot of VCDs from Crossword, PlanetM etc., so curious about PQ. Planning to purchase a 42 Plasma (Panasonic) OR a 42/40 SAMSUNG / SONY / LG LCD, once new 2009 models are available.

Mainly we watch Tata Sky and on weekends VCD / DVD movies. Not much into games. 8-9 viewing distance.

Panasonic PV8 Plasma is something I would like to consider strongly, given, all the good reviews read on this forum. However, given the recent trend in rise in prices (no more available for Rs.42K Rs.44K) the PV8 does not seem that attractive (VFM). And the PV80 is even more. At around Rs.58K +-, can get a Full HD 40" SAMSUNG or LG.

Thoughts?

Full HD both plasma and LCDs kind of suck for SD content, but LCDs more than plasmas. I'm sure even more so for VCDs, but pray why are you still going for VCDs? Moser Baer is selling DVDs for so cheap these days and the bitrates for DVDs are so much better than VCDs. VCDs kind of suck on CRT TVs as it is.

For SD content the PV8 is great especially DVDs and Tata Sky/DTH/cable etc.

Full HD LCDs look great/best for Full HD content played via a HDMI cable. Till your content is such no sense in going for a Full HD LCD unless of course they are available on par or cheaper than HD Ready Plasmas with same screen size i.e. 42" or nearby. In such a scenario it makes more sense to go for Full HD than for HD Ready if both are costing the same, but PV8 wins because its cheaper and VFM.

Just some food for thought - without going by brand perception, do look at tata sky transmission on the new (Haute series) of Videocon LCDs. They're full HD and great value for money. 32 inch LCD is 25K in delhi.
Dont let the dealer show you the old (integra), it sucks. And for sure dont go by brand perception. Do a side by side with LG and Samsung - you'll be suprised. The only brighter (though not necessarily better) LCD is Sony bravia - but thats much more expensive.
Also, when buying one of these TVs, try to watch them from an 8-10 feet distance (the usual one in homes) for several hours if possible and close your eyes and think how they feel ..... maybe the old CRT will appear much gentler then :)
Good luck with your decision.

Full HD both plasma and LCDs kind of suck for SD content, but LCDs more than plasmas. I'm sure even more so for VCDs, but pray why are you still going for VCDs? Moser Baer is selling DVDs for so cheap these days and the bitrates for DVDs are so much better than VCDs. VCDs kind of suck on CRT TVs as it is.

For SD content the PV8 is great especially DVDs and Tata Sky/DTH/cable etc.

Full HD LCDs look great/best for Full HD content played via a HDMI cable. Till your content is such no sense in going for a Full HD LCD unless of course they are available on par or cheaper than HD Ready Plasmas with same screen size i.e. 42" or nearby. In such a scenario it makes more sense to go for Full HD than for HD Ready if both are costing the same, but PV8 wins because its cheaper and VFM.

Thanks for your thoughts. You are right and agree with you, Moser Baer sells DVDs too. By choice if same title is available in both DVD & VCD, the DVD would be a choice. But lot of times impromptu, one walks in a store and sees a movie title available in VCD. It is a impulse buy. That's what I meant by VCDs purchases.

Also a lot of Hollywood movies which may be a one time watch, prefer to buy a set of 2 VCDs for Rs. 299 versus a DVD for Rs. 599.

MoserW, you got it right, what I meant was the question, if Full HD LCD is about the same price (+-) as a HD Ready Plasma for the same screen size 42" would the PQ on the Full HD be really below the HD Ready Plasma for VCDs, Tata Sky etc.

Thanks for your thoughts. You are right and agree with you, Moser Baer sells DVDs too. By choice if same title is available in both DVD & VCD, the DVD would be a choice. But lot of times impromptu, one walks in a store and sees a movie title available in VCD. It is a impulse buy. That's what I meant by VCDs purchases.

Also a lot of Hollywood movies which may be a one time watch, prefer to buy a set of 2 VCDs for Rs. 299 versus a DVD for Rs. 599.

MoserW, you got it right, what I meant was the question, if Full HD LCD is about the same price (+-) as a HD Ready Plasma for the same screen size 42" would the PQ on the Full HD be really below the HD Ready Plasma for VCDs, Tata Sky etc.

The PV8 would score over Full HD LCDs for SD content, no doubt about that. But a TV is not a daily/weekly purchase and I'm pretty sure Full HD content will be taking over, might be slowly but nevertheless will take over eventually. When that happens a Full HD LCD or Plasma will be better than HD Ready. If you plan to get another TV in a year or two then go with HD Ready for now. If Full HD is available for the price of HD Ready right now then go with Full HD. If you'll not be going for a new TV for a while and Full HD prices are comparable to HD Ready then go for Full HD now. All comes down to price and VFM actually.

well for sd content the pv8 will surely have an advantage but why buy a model that is soon going to be EOL,the panasonic X10plasma is going to replace that.
also FHD 2009 lcds from samsung/sony have significantly improved image processing that have improved SD content capabilty,but i believe a HD plasma will still have a slight edge.but the gap will certainly be smaller with the new lcds.
but on the other hand the new lcds have huge improvements in contrasts and power consumption.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back