Which NAD for the Rti A7?

kaypaji

Hi Guys,

I've narrowed down my speakers to the Polk Audio Rti A7s and now I need a matching amp. They're going to be used in a stereo setup in my living / drawing room. Music genres are going to be light jazz / lounge / house / vocals. I like good bass. Source is going to be a basic turntable, CD player and spotify connect through Gramofon. I'm going to use them for easy listening, as well as loud music when I have people over.

I'm confused between the NAD 356 and 375 amps. My dealer says that the A7s are a little hard to drive, and need the 375 to power them to their full potential. While I CAN buy that amp, I'm not inclined to due to the higher cost (1+ compared to around 60 for the 356). What do you guys think? Should I look at other amps as well? I do need to power a separate set of outdoor speakers in zone 2 for the terrace, therefore thought this was the best option available to me. Appreciate ya'lls input.

Thanks

I have heard the a7 with the 356bee. Sounds great. These speakers are more for movie watching rather than music IMO. But i can say, that 356 was lots enough to fill any decent size room. Holistically though, nads do match polks.

Hi Guys,

I've narrowed down my speakers to the Polk Audio Rti A7s and now I need a matching amp. They're going to be used in a stereo setup in my living / drawing room. Music genres are going to be light jazz / lounge / house / vocals. I like good bass. Source is going to be a basic turntable, CD player and spotify connect through Gramofon. I'm going to use them for easy listening, as well as loud music when I have people over.

I'm confused between the NAD 356 and 375 amps. My dealer says that the A7s are a little hard to drive, and need the 375 to power them to their full potential. While I CAN buy that amp, I'm not inclined to due to the higher cost (1+ compared to around 60 for the 356). What do you guys think? Should I look at other amps as well? I do need to power a separate set of outdoor speakers in zone 2 for the terrace, therefore thought this was the best option available to me. Appreciate ya'lls input.

Thanks

Hello, I have the A7 and NAD 356 with inbuilt DAC module. I play my Flacs and MP3's from my laptop with JRiver via a normal USB cable to DAC. 356 specs are 80 Watts. I have never dared to go beyond the 11 O clock position (yet) on the amp. I listen to rock / metal / jazz / classical / Hollywood (family) / and many others. So the dealer is taking you for a ride. 356 is heaps to drive the A7 for any genre of music.

I have them in my living room which is 28 x 16 x 10 feet. She fills the room with ease even at 10 O clock. IMHO, if you can afford an amp at this price, go for it. 356 or similar. She can effortlessly drive 2 pairs of 4 ohms speakers AB or in A & B mode. I never felt the need for a sub with the A7 but you can always connect one with the 356 from the pre-out 1.

I used to have some bass and treble, but since I started listening in the "Tone Defeat" mode, rarely use them.

I have heard the a7 with the 356bee. Sounds great. These speakers are more for movie watching rather than music IMO. But i can say, that 356 was lots enough to fill any decent size room. Holistically though, nads do match polks.

I have the same combo, and I have yet to watch a movie on them. They are great for music with NAD set on pure stereo mode and even otherwise.

Anyone having this combo should listen to a good version of a song named - "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent..............You will start loving your setup all the more. :eek:hyeah:

Not that it won't on other setups / or other setups are not good - with due respect, but this is one of those songs when you feel that it's perfect for your setup and that's the way it should be - gives you a reassurance on your investment.

Last edited:
I am almost at the conclusion of buying a pair of floor standing speakers and an AVR. I came down to buying mine with a lot of help from here and AVS Forum. What I am about to express is very personal and might not be of any guidance to you but since this forum is for sharing I thought I might as well. Though I'll be brief here and leave a link of my own discussion below if you are interested. Though I might add that they all involve AVRs except in the case of Klipsch which I also heard with Roksun Candy integrated.

I checked out both Polk Rti A7 and A9 with Denon 3200 and later with 4200. A7 is quite muted in comparison to the A9 in sheer beef. But with both I found clarity and depth to be a problem in lows. Also, low volume is where we listen to music mostly, at least I do. The high and mid were quite sharp and explosive. I enjoyed it. Till of course I came across more musical sounds of PSB, Focals and B&Ws. Since I wanted to create an HT with a bias for music, it is on Focals and Cambridge CXR200 I laid my plans to rest.

I also feel that Klipsch and Polk are more of HT speakers less of music. You very easily reach listening fatigue with these two when in high volume. My bit. Not a very expert one albeit.

Link to my discussion here: http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/61001-yamaha-ysp-2500-soundbar-compile-system.html

Hello, terrible, Congrats on your buy (or soon to buy). Wishing you an endless musical journey. Cheers. Even if I did not own the Polk A7, I would passionately beg to differ in your views on them. But sound is as personal as personal can get. Enjoy. Do post some pics of your setup.

Last edited:
Hello, terrible, Congrats on your buy (or soon to buy). Wishing you an endless musical journey. Cheers. Even if I did not own the Polk A7, I would passionately beg to differ in your views on them. But sound is as personal as personal can get. Enjoy. Do post some pics of your setup.

Thanks mate. Yes your passion is making you repeat what I already mentioned. Yes its personal, considering all ears are. But hey, whats life without a little passion. Will definitely post some pics.

Cheers.

having a higher powered amp is always better, esp once you start playing music on the louder side. it will handle the speakers better and will not strain. you will get clarity and control at higher volumes as well. specs of the speaker also suggest need for a higher powered amp. not that the 356 will not power it, but if you have the budget, go for the 375

i second the above..

more power is always nicer to have..

but that depends on the max stretchable budget too

playing loud ( or shaking windows ) does not mean playing clear..

regards

Guys,

Thank you all for the valuable responses. I'm feeling re-assured that the 356 is sufficient with these speakers, and also that depending on budget, I should decide whether to go in for the 375 or not. I'm also building a separate home theatre system so will decide on budget allocations accordingly.

I've convinced the dealer to arrange both amps with the speakers for a demo, so I guess thats the best way to decide. I will post pics once the set up is complete.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back