which one will be the best active speaker for music ?

Kannan_madhu

Hi ,
Need your suggestion on deciding on the Active Speaker for music listening , my room is 12X12 following are the choices.

AE A5 -- 18K
Swan M200 Mk2 -- around 15K
or will smaller one like these be sufficient ?
AE A2 10K
Swan 1080 mk2 08 -- 8K

Is Swan M200 an active speaker? I mean it has an amplifier installed in its cabin, but the mid(and low I guess) and tweeter are not run by separate amps!

I am confused.

Is Swan M200 an active speaker? I mean it has an amplifier installed in its cabin, but the mid(and low I guess) and tweeter are not run by separate amps!

I am confused.

I guess what you are talking about is a triamped active speaker, three amps for three different range. Typically budget active speakers will have one amp driving woofer and tweeter.

I guess what you are talking about is a triamped active speaker, three amps for three different range. Typically budget active speakers will have one amp driving woofer and tweeter.

Then what is the difference between them with a passive speaker with amplifier as a separate entity?

sorry for the confusion and pardon my ignorance i thought all powered speakers are active ? i will change the heading to powered speakers .

Dear Kannan, I am learning too and I have found this forum is the best one for learners (not good for a lazy one though).
I think there is a separate post for clearing this confusion, and I will search for that instead of wasting time of others and you.

i checked Wikipedia , its clearly mentioned that Actives are separately amped for each driver .

So, was my understanding too! It can be a hybrid as well, usually having a passive cross over between mid and high frequency driver.

why actives?
don't have much space on my computer desk and i doubt there's good passive speaker and amp combo available under 20K .

A Topping TP20 amp and CA S30 speakers will cost you around 11-12k. Add a soundcard/DAC if you dont already have one and im sure you'll still be under 20k.

The tp20 is even smaller than a CD case so im sure keeping it on your computer desk wont be a problem. Plus the sound from this setup definitely beats the audioengine A5s.

Then what is the difference between them with a passive speaker with amplifier as a separate entity?

active: amplification after crossover, amplifier within the speaker cabinet, typically one amplifier per speaker box.
passive: amplification before crossover, one aplifier for two or multiple speakers
budget active speakers: amplification inside the speaker cabinet after crossover.
Triamped active speakers: amplifier after crossover but on the path to each range of speakers..i.e. One for tweeter, one for mid, another for bass.

active: amplification after crossover, amplifier within the speaker cabinet, typically one amplifier per speaker box.
passive: amplification before crossover, one aplifier for two or multiple speakers
budget active speakers: amplification inside the speaker cabinet after crossover.
Triamped active speakers: amplifier after crossover but on the path to each range of speakers..i.e. One for tweeter, one for mid, another for bass.

Clarification for active: amplification after ACTIVE crossover, amplifier MOSTLY within the speaker cabinet, typically one amplifier per speaker DRIVER should be the correction. Active speakers are bi-amped and tri-amped

So, was my understanding too! It can be a hybrid as well, usually having a passive cross over between mid and high frequency driver.

Yes this kind of hybrid configuration is also possible where a three way active speaker system can be bi-amped and have a passive crossover between mid and high frequency driver.

all powered speakers are active indeed.

Clarification for passive: all powered speakers are PASSIVE as there is a single amplifier before the passive crossover feeding two or multiple speaker drivers

xcjjaq.jpg

You could refer to below post for diagrams and explanations
http://www.hifivision.com/active-sp...-description-passive-v-s-active-speakers.html

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back