Which Protractor to be used for Sony ps-11 Direct Drive Turntable

Tanoj

Hi Friends,

Which Protractor to be used for Sony ps-11 Direct Drive Turntable

As of now i downloaded two protractors from this site

1. Stupid Protractor

2. Technics Baerwald Arc protractor

is there any protractor which is specific for Sony ps-11 ?, or any other protractor which will give me better results

another question i have is which head-shell is best suited for this Turntable, right now iam using AT 92ECD cartridge

Thank you

Tanoj

Baerwald stupid protractor is good. Nothing wrong with it.

For headshell, if you want normal ones, go for a technics headshell, but if you want high end go for Sumiko/Jelco headshells. The assumption is that Sony has a bayonet mount headshell.

Cheers.

If you can download the accutrack protractor, it has a very accurate Baerwald and Stevensen protractors on it. However, the Baerwald stupid protractor is good enough. Sony has a bayonet mount headshell. You could also try vinylengine to get details of overhang for the tone arm and this is another way to accurately align your cartridge

Specifications
Platter: 326mm aluminium alloy

Motor: dc servo controlled

Drive system: direct drive

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

Pitch control range: +-4%

Wow and flutter: 0.03% wrms

Signal to noise ratio: 70dB

Tonearm: static balance, universal type

Pivot to stylus: 216.5mm

Overall length: 300mm

Overhang: 16.5mm

Cartridge weight range: 4 to 12g

Dimensions: 446 x 140 x 374mm

Weight: 6.1kg

Supplied accessories: alignment protractor, 45rpm adaptor, cartridge spacer, power cord

From the specification of TT, which i got from Vinyl Engine, the over hang is 16.5 mm

So how to calculate ? , is it distance between the Headshell's and stylus tip as shown in the Attached picture ? ( This pic is just an example, downloaded from net for understanding )

Regards

Tanoj

Last edited:
after i posted my previous post i downloaded the user manual of PS-11 from vinyl engine to find out what overhang means

i will check the settings tomorrow and will update the pose ..... however i do not have a vernier calipers to measure accurately :sad:

Last edited:
You are complicating your problem. You do not need vernier calipers etc. Just use Baerwald stupid protractor and be done with it. Please trust me on this.

If you are really interested read full article on alignment protractors on vinylengine and you can download a utility which will print the alignment protractor if spindle to pivot distance is known.

Cheers.

If you are really interested read full article on alignment protractors on vinylengine and you can download a utility which will print the alignment protractor if spindle to pivot distance is known.

Thank you Anilva

spindle to pivot distance : 200
Effective Length is : 216.5

i searched but could not get the utility to download right protracor

i already used the Baerwald stupid protractor and using my TT, however was looking for more accurate options and also to check with others if iam using correct protractor

if you could download the protractor as per the spindle to pivot distance it will be great

Regards

Tanoj

Research Research or Search ..... is there any end to it ... i dont think so .... for me its fun

so i stepped on this youtube video which shows a tool which can generate custom protractor as per your Turntable specification

Setup a Turntable to Record to a Computer Part 1

Setup a Turntable to Record to a Computer Part 1 - YouTube

Setup a Turntable to Record to a Computer Part 2

Setup a Turntable to Record to a Computer Part 2 - YouTube

Setup a Turntable to Record to a Computer Part 3

Setup a Turntable to Record to a Computer Part 3 - YouTube

Tool which can get a coustom protractor as per the "sindel to Pivot Distance "

Conrad's Free Stuff

Hope it helps you all

Tanoj

From the specification of TT, which i got from Vinyl Engine, the over hang is 16.5 mm

So how to calculate ? , is it distance between the Headshell's and stylus tip as shown in the Attached picture ? ( This pic is just an example, downloaded from net for understanding )

Regards

Tanoj

My JVC TT says 48mm from needle tip to headshell, shifting the cartridge to attain the proper sound will help, presently I am using an AT-95E which sounds really good.

See if this customised protractor for overhang and mounting distance helps.

See post # 48 here for instructions on how to use it.

Attachments

• Overhang Protractor - Tanoj.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 21

Regards

Tanoj

This is one of the best and easiest way to get correct overhang - stylus tip to headshell collet like in your attached picture. Use a regular stainless steel scale with 1/2 mm markings (at least from 0 to 10 mm) to get the accuracy of 0.5 mm in the 16.5 mm. But even if you don't get that exactly don't shed a tear. It is OK if you get 16 to 17 mm.

So the above takes care of overhang. But you still need to use the Baerwald protractor to get the correct alignments to inner and outer nulls.

Steps you can follow:
1) set overhang. Do not fully tighten screws. Neither allow it move about loosely. Allow it to be moved with some effort.
2) set outer null
3) then set inner null
4) check if outer null is still OK after setting inner null. If not, set outer nukll again, followed by setting of inner null.
5) when you are happy with the nulls, re-check the overhang.
6) tighten screws.\

While you're doing all this analog monkeying-around, check that the tracking force and antiskate are also proper:lol:

PS: I recently invested in a fancy digital (read-out) vernier scale (Yamayo make with a fancy moniker of Digital Caliper and model name Bliss Classic+. Whatever:rolleyes:). Nice to have:)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back