Which should I choose for listening to music?

Which should I choose for listening to music?

• JAMO D590

• JAMO S809

• Mission Lx-6 mkii

• Dali Oberon 7

• Dali Spektor 6

• Fyne Audio F302

• Wharfedale LINTON Heritage 85th

• Acoustic Energy AE120

• Monitor Audio Bronze 200

• Wharfedale Diamond 12.3

Results are only viewable after voting.
I want warm signature sound.I like the sound style of the Proac Spendor. But they are expensive. Which speaker of my choice sounds closer to them?
Trust your ears!
If you have heard ProAC and Spendor (particular models) you may wish to consider saving up and getting one of these as this can be a long term investment and satisfaction. Used market is an option too.
Do keep in mind the Amp and the rest of the chain where you heard these speakers also matter (Synergy and measurements).
Finally your room matters (a lot) it will sound different from the dealer or any other room. But this is the last and least of the challenges. (Least expensive?)

I suggest starting your journey of getting the sound you like with good amp-speaker matching. I wish I had this advice when I started putting together my set up component by component only to find disappointing synergy even as each component was individually well engineered and reviewed.

Most People Choose Linton Heritage.
40cm² Can IT becompeTent?
My Lintons are in a 44 sq.m living room (26’ x 18’)
The room opens to a balcony on one side, a bar and dining area on another and a staircase on the third.
With the volume knob at 10 o’clock, one has to shout to be heard. Mind you, this is with the speakers being driven by a 22wpc tube amp. If you’re going solid state, you’ll probably need more power.
Fyi, my previous speakers were Proac.

My room is of the about the same size (10m x 4.5m) and opening to a foyer on one end plus a kitchen (albeit through a counter window) on one side. My Klipsch Heresy IIIs or the OB I made with a full ranger (driven by 8Wpc tube or 16Wpc Amp Camp Amp) are more than enough by themselves. With the subwoofer ON it is excellent. With volume control at like 25% playing CD, it is about 90dB at 3m (a mobile app that measured average 95dB not a proper SPL meter so a reduced quote ;)).

Yes, you may argue Heresy are more sensitive at 99dB but Lintons are not far behind.
My room is the same as yours.Many people say that it is better to choose a floorstander if the space is large.
So I don't know whether to choose floorstander or Linton Heritage.

My room is the same as yours.Many people say that it is better to choose a floorstander if the space is large.
Heresys are designed to be squatting on floor on their risers. Yet, many including I have very good results with them sitting on custom stands, uber expensive stands and even on egg crates. Mine sit on IKEA stools modified with a new top and cork sheets to damp any vibrations. In fact, I could hear a positive difference raising them that were muddy sitting as they were designed to. I added a subwoofer of course.

You could see mine in this thread https://www.hifivision.com/threads/amp-camp-amps-completed.89054/#post-1000279

Perhaps hear them in this https://www.hifivision.com/threads/another-aca-build-coming-up.88927/page-3#post-1000378 if YT did not mute them for copyright issue they create usually.

Lintons have been designed to be on those beautiful stands so I would not hesitate to try them.

Unlike in our world here in the Middle East, you must be having favorable returns policy. If you felt Lintons not up to the mark, you could always return.

My Lintons are in a 44 sq.m living room (26’ x 18’)
The room opens to a balcony on one side, a bar and dining area on another and a staircase on the third.
With the volume knob at 10 o’clock, one has to shout to be heard. Mind you, this is with the speakers being driven by a 22wpc tube amp. If you’re going solid state, you’ll probably need more power.
Fyi, my previous speakers were Proac.
Many people say that it is better to choose a floorstander if the space is large.
I love the sound of the Proac DT8.
Why did you switch from Proac to Linton?

Many people say that it is better to choose a floorstander if the space is large.
You are lucky to have a wide choice of Pre-owned speakers at the USaudiomart /Audiogon sites at great prices which you may be able to demo.

Most people think floorstwnders are better for large rooms because they’re bigger than standmounts. But looks can be deceiving.
Did some research for you. Check out these dimensions:
Proac DT8 - 98 x 19 x 23
WD Linton - 56 x 30 x 33
Do the math and you’ll see that the Lintons are actually bigger.

In my setup, the Proacs made all the right hifi sounds, but the Lintons just sounded more musical.

Most people think floorstwnders are better for large rooms because they’re bigger than standmounts. But looks can be deceiving.
Did some research for you. Check out these dimensions:
Proac DT8 - 98 x 19 x 23
WD Linton - 56 x 30 x 33
Do the math and you’ll see that the Lintons are actually bigger.

In my setup, the Proacs made all the right hifi sounds, but the Lintons just sounded more musical.
Air has to be moved.

See this chart. Most floor standers have multiple smaller size woofers. For a floor stander to move same air as a Linton would need at least 3 of 6.5" woofers, for the same as Heresy, 4 of them!! The footprint would reduce apparently with slimmer floor standers but depth, height?

1652943761314.png

Interesting chart, Subbu, but I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly.
Doesn’t it show that two 6.5” drivers are slightly bigger than a single 8” one? (Please see the boxes I’ve marked in the pic below)
If that’s the case, the Proac’s two woofers should be larger than the Linton’s single one, right? (The Linton has three drivers: 1” tweeter, 5” midrange and 8” woofer)
Btw, I presume the wider baffle also plays a role by increasing sensitivity.
B7E6F887-9158-4F65-B89E-B39C86B52AA9.jpeg

Interesting chart, Subbu, but I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly.
Doesn’t it show that two 6.5” drivers are slightly bigger than a single 8” one? (Please see the boxes I’ve marked in the pic below)
If that’s the case, the Proac’s two woofers should be larger than the Linton’s single one, right? (The Linton has three drivers: 1” tweeter, 5” midrange and 8” woofer)
Btw, I presume the wider baffle also plays a role by increasing sensitivity.
View attachment 69383
My bad, I got a bit confused. I thought Linton had 10" woofer. I was reading about KLF 5.

When I went for Heresy even two 8" were not matching the 12".

Depends on type of music. FS may offer greater scale and headroom. Good for western classical and live rock concerts. But SQ may not be better. In fact, at the same price point, BS 'should' be having better quality than a FS.
It is not a linear relationship. You have to listen to both. Again, at the risk of generalization, a BS tends to have tighter bass, though an FS goes lower down. Though exceptions are plenty.
When you think of an FS, you should also significantly up your budget.
Also, what SPL would you be listening at? If you are going to listen at moderate volumes, BS will totally suffice. Go for something with a bigger woofer, like Linton. Best of both worlds. Dali Oberon is another fantastic option. I liked them very much. Budget speakers, but lots of fun.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back