Which Streamer should I buy ?

Please note I was using the Mytek Liberty DAC and alternating with a PS Audio digital link 3 DAC with the Bluesound Node 2.
I hardly used the Bluesound node 2 built in DAC as the external DACs were better sounding (apparent immediately)

To compare with the above set up: the sound stage from AK Kann (through the built in DAC) is slightly more compressed, (less air between instruments) but still warm, not fatiguing. The weight and punchiness are more polite, restrained.

I am looking for a way to connect the digital out (micro usb) of the AK player to the uSB B socket on the Mytek liberty DAC. I am hopeful the excitement in the sound will be back with this arrangement.
It is quite the bother to find compatible cables. I had to search high and low before I managed to find a pentaconn 4.4mm to XLR cable for my if Zen DAC.

Same was the story while hunting for a 3.5mm coaxial to RCA coaxial cable to connect the coaxial out of the Allo Digione Signature to my Chord Mojo.

For both instances, I literally found only one source online and that was it.

I don't think it'll be easy to find a USB B male to micro USB cable and you can try using a USB B male extension cable as a stop gap measure till you find the requisite cable.

Last edited:
you can try using a USB B male extension
That is what I am doing. Fellow FM @shyamv suggested an adapter solution similar what you did. Looks like I will be joining up my printer usb cable to this adapter to a micro usb to usb A cable :D ... if it’s all out of sight it might not distract.

That is what I am doing. Fellow FM @shyamv suggested an adapter solution similar what you did. Looks like I will be joining up my printer usb cable to this adapter to a micro usb to usb A cable :D ... if it’s all out of sight it might not distract.
More worrisome would be any potential degradation in sound quality while using generic connectors/cables. I simply sleep better knowing that everything is hooked up with what are perceived as respectable cables. If nothing else, they are usually built to a higher standard with nicer jackets and more importantly, connectors. I'm all for audio jewellery!

As this is a thread titled “what streamer should I buy” I want to know something I have been embarrassed to ask as it will reveal the depth of my ignorance, but then I thought ’it’s Corona times and I am just a digital avatar’. I can always later deny asking this, cry ‘deep fake’ or something similar... so here goes:

when a streamer is highly regarded, is it for the performance of the DAC (and preamp?) inside, or does the quality of the Wifi radio inside have a impact on the SQ?

(Let’s leave the user interface, display, aesthetics of the physical design aside for this question)

As this is a thread titled “what streamer should I buy” I want to know something I have been embarrassed to ask as it will reveal the depth of my ignorance, but then I thought ’it’s Corona times and I am just a digital avatar’. I can always later deny asking this, cry ‘deep fake’ or something similar... so here goes:

when a streamer is highly regarded, is it for the performance of the DAC (and preamp?) inside, or does the quality of the Wifi radio inside have a impact on the SQ?

(Let’s leave the user interface, display, aesthetics of the physical design aside for this question)
Coincidentally (and somehow, a lot of coincidences seem to happen in my case), i happened to stumble upon your query just as i watched this particular video by Darko which explains the entire deal with streamers really well. The explanation is in pretty simplistic terms but a good way to ease into it before venturing in depth. Hey @argho, check this out. It explains the science behind streamers better than what any of us have been able to.

Last edited:
Incedentally dcs has three models of its dac/streamers . All three have the exsct same dac but each is priced absolutely different
Bartok - abt 15000usd
Rosini - abt 22000 usd
Vivaldi - abt 45000 usd ( dac only)

so explains dac is a small portion of cost

Roon has a 14 days free Trial, Later you can go for Monthly subscription ; to keep the initial investment low. Knowing your flair for Good Software, I'd actually advise you against trying Roon, because you'll end up buying it.

Auralic has a better software amongst Streamers, according to most of the reviews including the ones from Daarko. Its Lightning OS is considered to be quite a delight (and snappiest as well) to use, Do research a bit on Auralic Streamers and see if it suits your requirements.

Incedentally dcs has three models of its dac/streamers . All three have the exsct same dac but each is priced absolutely different
Bartok - abt 15000usd
Rosini - abt 22000 usd
Vivaldi - abt 45000 usd ( dac only)

so explains dac is a small portion of cost
Makes me question..If dac is small portion of the cost, what does the streamer (hardware part) do special with the signal it receives in comparison to 100 usd 1k usd streamers? The biggest costs associated are probably associated with manpower, marketing, casing of the product.

Its dCS . Theres no scam there trust me… in fact vivaldi is therr highest seller . Even a lowly bartok blows ur socks away…

Its dCS . Theres no scam there trust me… in fact vivaldi is therr highest seller . Even a lowly bartok blows ur socks away…
Its rarely a scam. I believe most products in hifi are priced right. If not, economics of demand or lack of it ensures rationalisation and eventual logical positioning. But there is something really weird going on with streamers as a category. Compared to everything else like speakers, amplifiers, its only the speakers category which seems to have a kungfu panda secret recipe.

Neither the manufacturers, dealers are able to articulate clearly what's different between the limetree network, cxn V2, bluesound and the next level of streamers from lumin, aurilac, aurender and the next level dCS streamers. The build quality and case is definitely more expensive which is visible. No clear explanation on the chosen topology used and the inherent advantages gained for adopting a certain approach is shared.

I know for the fact that a steamer/dac genuinely sounds better but there is very little actual understanding of what differentiates each of these products from the other in the same price tier and across.

I believe most products in hifi are priced right.
More Accurately "In the Used Market". From a Marwari perspective 'Bhaav Bhagwaan Hai'.

limetree network, cxn V2, bluesound and the next level of streamers from lumin, aurilac, aurender and the next level dCS streamers.
Even Allo Products and Direct PC to USB connections, its very minimal difference other than the jitter part. Better is to keep Computer audio (Mac Mini) as reference and mention the improvements over that.

If not, economics of demand or lack of it ensures rationalisation and eventual logical positioning.

This is true for consumer products not for high-end products which are driven by aspirational or hobbyist or luxury factors. High-end hifi products largely sell because of their premium pricing and they are coveted because they are priced high. Most of these ultra high-end hifi products will not find as many buyers had the manufacturers priced them lower. Case in point - dCS streamer mentioned earlier in the thread where the most expensive product is the best-seller. Price vs Performance correlation breaks down after a certain tipping point. By selling fewer numbers, manufacturers also keep the demand artificially high and margins even higher.

It is only in the used high-end hifi market that some rationalization creeps in.

This is true for consumer products not for high-end products which are driven by aspirational or hobbyist or luxury factors. High-end hifi products largely sell because of their premium pricing and they are coveted because they are priced high. Most of these ultra high-end hifi products will not find as many buyers had the manufacturers priced them lower. Case in point - dCS streamer mentioned earlier in the thread where the most expensive product is the best-seller. Price vs Performance correlation breaks down after a certain tipping point. By selling fewer numbers, manufacturers also keep the demand artificially high and margins even higher.

It is only in the used high-end hifi market that some rationalization creeps in.
Rubbish

I have stated an opinion (after having worked for several years for a high-end audio company) and I stand by it. I understand you may be a connoisseur and buyer of high-end audio products. So if you disagree, I would appreciate more constructive comments than just a single-word takedown which does not benefit anyone and neither does it make for a convincing argument!

Hi,

I'd prolly take a very different route here (apologies to all in advance).. Sometimes different sounds better, maybe you can look at RPI+Allo for source and explore an external budget/midfi dac? Add a budget LPS for 'more'/ refined sound?

As rightly pointed out, the law of diminishing returns is always at play and its all about what "you" want/whats priority for you (Convenience, UI, connectivity options, future proofing, sound signature, budget/affordability, future upgradability, DIY..<the list is endless>). Personally settled with a mimby fed by a digione (non-sign/ nirvana smps) (total 45K incl. peripherals) and its enough for my 3L system.

Sometimes this hobby reminds me of this friend who has been quite keen to marry for past 3-4 yrs, but can neither find a girl by himself and wouldn't settle on anyone his parents search for him..!! Gotta settle somehere :p

Good luck with the search...!! Do let all of us know what you finally settled on :)

Coincidentally (and somehow, a lot of coincidences seem to happen in my case), i happened to stumble upon your query just as i watched this particular video by Darko which explains the entire deal with streamers really well. The explanation is in pretty simplistic terms but a good way to ease into it before venturing in depth. Hey @argho, check this out. It explains the science behind streamers better than what any of us have been able to.

Not just you.. ive been stumbling on in my quests for the musical unicorn as well :)

I found this one quite interesting..

Even he gets a bit clueless on whether the tidal app is doing its thing natively or not, until he discovers/sees it happen through a USB Audio Pro app and Cobalt. If only he knew USB Audio Pro has a UPNP renderer to remotely connect 2 phones - one a controller and one as remote!

Best to keep a clean streamer source (read jitter and noise free) and let the DAC do the rest. It lets you play with sound signature and keeps options open for software/UI upgradability as well albeit slightly less convenient to a all in one unit!

Not just you.. ive been stumbling on in my quests for the musical unicorn as well :)

I found this one quite interesting..

Even he gets a bit clueless on whether the tidal app is doing its thing natively or not, until he discovers/sees it happen through a USB Audio Pro app and Cobalt. If only he knew USB Audio Pro has a UPNP renderer to remotely connect 2 phones - one a controller and one as remote!

Best to keep a clean streamer source (read jitter and noise free) and let the DAC do the rest. It lets you play with sound signature and keeps options open for software/UI upgradability as well albeit slightly less convenient to a all in one unit!
Got the Allo USBridge Signature player+Digione Signature combo recently. Only tried the USBridge part of it now powered with a wall wart since there was a delay in despatch of the Shanti LPSU. arrived a couple of days back and yet to try it out. Also found the elusive RCA coaxial to 3.5mm cable to connect it to the Chord Mojo. The performance of the USBridge powered by the wall wart was a noticeable improvement over a laptop. Dunno about playing with the sound signature since the Mojo does not have any filters. I haven't tried UPNP yet. Will try it with the ifi Zen DAC to see if UPNP supports MQA streaming.

Got the Allo USBridge Signature player+Digione Signature combo recently. Only tried the USBridge part of it now powered with a wall wart since there was a delay in despatch of the Shanti LPSU. arrived a couple of days back and yet to try it out. Also found the elusive RCA coaxial to 3.5mm cable to connect it to the Chord Mojo. The performance of the USBridge powered by the wall wart was a noticeable improvement over a laptop. Dunno about playing with the sound signature since the Mojo does not have any filters. I haven't tried UPNP yet. Will try it with the ifi Zen DAC to see if UPNP supports MQA streaming.
That would quite informative!! Looking forward to it..

Sometimes this hobby reminds me of this friend who has been quite keen to marry for past 3-4 yrs, but can neither find a girl by himself and wouldn't settle on anyone his parents search for him..
Interesting analogy.
There is a third option: a live in relationship that give both time to know each other and decide if they want to get married or not. I think a lot of our purchases in the early part of the journey are like this.
When I look back I see a trail of amps, speakers, DACs, and other components, some of which I have fond memories of and others I feel indifferent or disappointed.

@Doomster69 i think you might have poked a wasp nest with your “marriage” analogy! Today should be an interesting day….:cool:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back