Which Sub Woofer Sould I Buy: Expert Advice Please

saurabhpach

Hi guys,

I have a Marantz SR5001 7.1 ch AV Reciever (90w per ch @ 8ohms / 110w per ch @ 6 ohms) paired up with JBL NorthRidge E90 front speakers.
I use it for Movies and Music in a ratio of say 60:40.
I wanted to add on a punchy subwoofer.
On my list is Klipsch and JBL.
Budget is about 30-40K max.
Room is big with marble flooring. space / size is not an issue.

If any one has any offers ........ Plz suggest :)

Thanks

what surrounds/ center channel do u use? (an off topic question)

I think you should invest in 2 subs instead of one. I saw one from polk that had 12" woofer and was for about 18k. Could not demo as I had to rush.

Two subs are definitely better than one. It gives you a linear response throughout the room. But linear response is possible even with one sub depending on your room (you could be lucky...hence always buy one sub and then if response is not linear and if you want it linear, then buy second).
More importantly with 2 subs, placement is critical to get linear response. It is even more tricky in a smaller room as smaller room tends to have a lot more peaks and nulls in the bass regions...so do proceed with caution with 2 subs. if you buy 2 and still dont get linear response you are better off with one better sub.

I have heard the Polk subs (more expensive brands)...seriously consider to not consider it. Polk/Jamo subs are considered to be junk at many forums, i've heard this over and over and over, while i have heard good stuff about polk speakers..but not their subs. I have auditioned the Polk subs and i wasnt happy and hence I postponed buying a sub as I wasnt sure what i would get out of my money until I heard an SVS sub. :D
Velodyne impact 10 & 12 is decent...you can get better.
The HSU STF2, stands above most subs in this price range. It comes to about 35K through borderlinx. Also SVS has a sub in India SB 10 NSD this is around 35K, shipping is free.
Again around this price range this sub is petty good....but if you can get the STF-2 or the SB 10 then go for it over this.

IMHO you should seriously consider to upgrade to the 50K budget if you can afford. The 500$ subs like VTF2, FV12, Epik legend are considered to be a distant apart from these lower counterparts. Everywhere I have read ppl recommend to up the budget to 500$ sub, but very rarely have I heard recommendations for higher unless you state your budget is higher.

+1 to Rythmik.

Also, any other DIY, if properly done, can beat the commercially available subwoofers. I would recommend going diy option for less than 50k. Or just buy a Hsu sub and be done with it.

I was referring to our group buy thing. Have u forgotten that u have commited to buy the high end version?
:lol:

:)

not forgotten, but was worried by how will I go from 1 sub to 2 subs that match each other well. Since there is only one such kit available.

if you have money and space in room (both now a problem for me:D)
(they need to be well out in to room)
go for the OB servo sub with dual 16 ohm woofers, i am now reading about them in AC

Hi guys,

I have a Marantz SR5001 7.1 ch AV Reciever (90w per ch @ 8ohms / 110w per ch @ 6 ohms) paired up with JBL NorthRidge E90 front speakers.

Thanks
Firstly, you wouldn't go wrong with either Shaq's or Capt's advice. Don't mean to confuse you, but Outlaw LFM-1 Plus B stock is now available for USD 449 with free shipping in CONUS. Borderlinx shows the cost of getting it delivered to India as circa 40k, which is your upper limit. Nice down firing sub with a great plexi glass finish on top, and i've not seen too many bad reviews for this baby. I'm seriously considering it as well.

Hi guys,

Thanks

I suggest you go in for a Hsu STF 1 or 2, the latter should land for less than 30k. Get in touch with fm parora who bought it on my advice and uses it with a marantz sr5005.

At this price, these subs are beyond competition. At home, you could go for the lithos q-bic sub for about the same amount. This costs more as it has a separate class AB amp not housed in the cab. The amp alone sells for 18k.
HTH

I think it would be best if you laid out what exactly you are looking for in the sub. Try to be as precise as possible.

Without a defined goal it is hard to hazard a suggestion/anything. Simply stating 'punchy sub' may not be adequate. What kind of frequency range/SPL? What are the room dimensions?

When I was in this search I was in the same position and I was made to realise the closest I could come to for what I wanted and for my room size required horn loading. I am settling for a sealed P-Audio 21"er. The electronics are all custom (class D, 2.5kW). There is an active x'over too (class A). Not certain if I can quote another forum here, so desisting.

Firstly, you wouldn't go wrong with either Shaq's or Capt's advice. Don't mean to confuse you, but Outlaw LFM-1 Plus B stock is now available for USD 449 with free shipping in CONUS. Borderlinx shows the cost of getting it delivered to India as circa 40k, which is your upper limit. Nice down firing sub with a great plexi glass finish on top, and i've not seen too many bad reviews for this baby. I'm seriously considering it as well.

+1
the outlaw B stock is pretty hot right now and being recommended everywhere.
i wasnt aware it was for 450$..thx for the info

@c_prabhu
could you share the link for this?

edited:
better rush dude...u probably have just a few days remaining..maybe even 1 or 2

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back