Which Subwoofer to buy with Yamaha RX-V479 + ELAC Debut B6

abhay2603

So i have decided to upgrade my audio setup. And i want to eventually build something exciting. But spending so much on a dream system all at once is a problem.
So i though i will buy good equipment in stages.

I listen to a lot of music and watch Movies as well. I have A gaming PC which i want to hook-up to the system. I have a ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X. Maybe later on i will buy a Blu-ray player / Media player to play all the MKVs.
Eventually i want to build a 5.1 system. But as of right now i think i will build a 2.1 system and add the rest a few months later.

After reading a lot i came to the decision that i want to buy a good AV receivers since that will be at the center of the entire system for quite some time. I decided to go for the Yamaha RX-V479. Its around 40k on ebay and 44k on amazon.

As for the 2 speakers i thought for now i will go for bookshelf speakers. Since i like in Mumbai, i think its sufficient for my room. Later on if i gather up enough money i can convert them into rear speakers and buy tower speakers.
I decided to go for the ELAC Debut B6. Read some really good reviews about them. They cost around $280 in the US. I called the Indian distributor. He said they are available for 35k. I cant find them on any online retail site.
For some time i considered waiting for the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5. But if they cost $500 in the US. By the weird pricing logic they will cost around 60k in India. So right now i have dropped that idea of ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 and decided to got with a pair of B6s.

So now all that left is the Sub-woofer. I dont want to spend more than 50k on it.

Right now there are 3 options that i have thought of
Klipsch R-12W (43k on ebay)
BIC America F12 (36k on Amazon)
BIC PL-200 (43k on amazon)
ELAC - S10 - Debut Series (33k on amazon)

What do you guys thing ? Which one should i get ? Are they any other options i have not thought of ?

Hi,

BIC America seems to be a VFM option.....you may want to consider this.....

Since we stay in Mumbai, space is a premium and hence this will be a better option.....

Tough & powerful BIC America Bookshelf 5.1 Speakers with 12 inch Sub - HiFiADS.com

Outstanding sound......I heard them...excellent for movies or music or gaming....along with almost 7 years warranty.....

The entire 5.1 system within 50k.....the choice is yours....all the best....

I decided to go for the ELAC Debut B6. Read some really good reviews about them. They cost around $280 in the US.

So now all that left is the Sub-woofer. I dont want to spend more than 50k on it.

Right now there are 3 options that i have thought of
Klipsch R-12W (43k on ebay)
BIC America F12 (36k on Amazon)
BIC PL-200 (43k on amazon)
ELAC - S10 - Debut Series (33k on amazon)

What do you guys thing ? Which one should i get ? Are they any other options i have not thought of ?

Have you got this setup in your home? If not, I would suggest you first set it up and then decide whether you even need a Sub with these speakers. Almost all reviews have praised its solid low end. Since this is a stereo setup, probably you can push the sub for later when you upgrade to a 5.1 setup.

MaSh

ELAC DEBUT Subwoofers should go well.I heard one paired with F5(even F6) and it merged seamlessly.You can adjust sub eq, from android application.Just take Demo.

Thank you all for your help.
has any one tried the Klipsch R-12W ?

I have another doubt. I read a few forums on this site and people suggested the following :
Dali Zensor 7 vs the ELAC F5 (both are same price in india bout double in the US)
Dali Zensor 1 vs ELAC B6/B5 ( Dali Zensor 1 is cheaper than the ELAC)

Any thoughts ???

Yamaha 479 is a good choice, but as pointed out it should retail for under 40K from the dealer. Please do consider Dali Zensor 3 (BS) around 28K - they sing well with the 479 and Dali Zensor 5 (mini FS as I like to call it) around 45K.

You will be spoilt for choice when it comes to subs around 50K. There is a wealth of info on the forum. Do not hurry to buy one yet, get the system of your choice and decide later.

I have been also looking a sub for yamaha 477. These are some subs in the same price category of 30k.

Velodyne impact 10/12.
Wharfedales sw-150.

I couldn' t demo any of these models.The demo room which I have visited had only higher models Velodyne EQMax.
But as per the user reviews sw-150 is a vfm sub which is Good for Music and movies. Impact 10/12 are good for movies.

Following this thread closely.

Hi,

There are many subs available and if you check Hi FI Ads and For Sale by Owner, there are good subs available at reasonable rates with some warranty......

Read online reviews and see YouTube videos to get a fair idea of the brand and model you are interested in.....in case you cant audition the same...

so the plan changed slightly.. i was thinking of buying the AV receiver + 2 front speakers and the subwoofer right now... after 3-5 months i can turn the 2.1 into 5.1.
So the final plan is go for 5 speakers of Dali. For front 2 - Zensor 3, Rear - Zensor 1 and central - Zensor Vokal.

since i am buying dali, Should i go for Dali Sub E12F or some other company

Hi

Depending on your budget and appeal towards sound, select the appropriate sub...most would keep the same brand as it will harmonize better and also if you want to sell the speakers later, you can sell the same as a set....

All the best.......assume the AVR is the Denonx1200?

Would suggest to go for an AVR which can drive these speakers well and also whose features you will use...no sense going for an AVR where you will only use 50% of its features and capabilities...

Hi

Would suggest to go for an AVR which can drive these speakers well and also whose features you will use...no sense going for an AVR where you will only use 50% of its features and capabilities...

going for a Yamaha RX-V479. i think its good enough for the setup

Hi

Subs which can produce bass frequencies between 30hz (or lower) till 150/200hz is considered great to have. Remember a sub is present to provide support to all speakers of the AVR or AMP for missing bass frequencies or punch or depth.....if you are using tower speakers, you may not require a subwoofer....again it depends on how much bass you want to hear...everyone has different tastes...

Of course you need to see what is the size available and budget......Boston Acoustics ASW650 was one such excellent 10 inch sub which operated from 28hz - 150hz...I briefly owned the same for 2 years then sold it.

BIC America seems to be the next best subwoofer which has been globally appreciated....F12.......costs 34k......the H100ii model is better...costs close to 36k.....

Jamo, JBL ES250p etc. is also available.

Better to carry your kind of music and hear the same song on different subs which match your budget and decide accordingly.....you can shortlist models which will meet your requirements in terms of budget, size, frequencies....output etc....

Hi

if you are using tower speakers, you may not require a subwoofer....again it depends on how much bass you want to hear...everyone has different tastes...

Lol that reminds me my fronts are capable of playing some bass (even if not much) which I have not even utilized fully.

Hi

Better then to check and make those adjustments on the AVR / AMP and hear again t decide if you really need a sub...you can add a small sub to add punch / depth to music and movies....say an 8 inch would do some justice...again depends on how big is the room or listening area.....look at the Pioneer SW 51 8 inch 100w RMS....costs 15k...

All the best...

thank u everyone.
I was thinking of buying the Dali E9F.
My main reason is that i have decided to go for the Dali Zensor 3 as my front speakers. Zensor 1 as rear and zensor vokal as center.

Since i am going for a full dali setup. I think it makes sense to go for dali subwoofer.

My room is small. so i think Dali E9F will be able to produce enough bass. I am not that big of a basshead.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back