Which Tonearm to Buy?

jls001

The ADC LMF-2 carbon fiber tonearm on my Thorens TD 160 B Mark II needs replacing. This is a very light arm and suitable for high-compliance cartridges like Shure V15 or Ortofon Super OM 20/30/40. Besides, the counterwright and anti-skating goes to only 1.5 gms and that excludes too many other carts.

I am looking for an arm that can handle (besides above mentioned carts) for MC carts which tend to be heavier and less compliant (say a Denon DL 103, or one of its many flavours).

I have seriously looked at only:
1. Jelco SA-750D (oil damped, 9 inch)
2. Rega RB 250/300/301

Please advise what other arms I should be considering. The Jelco 750D seems like a good bet, though it cost about twice of the Rega RB301. Ideally the arm must not be too complicated to set up, and should be stable over the long term. Despite what many folks say, I prefer removable headshell type as I want to roll carts:) Is it very involving to swap cartridges on fixed headshells? Does it cause unexpected pains in the nether parts of the anatomy?

I am rebuilding the plinth (yeah I know, this has been in "wyts" - work yet to start - mode, for a long time now:)).
a) Does it make (much) sense to opt for a 12 inch arm instead of the usual 9 inchers?
b) What are the advantages of 12 inchers over 9 or 10 inchers? (I understand a larger plinth will be needed for 12").
c) what are merits/demerits of S arms versus straight arms?

I would like to limit myself to 300-350-ish USDs, but can stretch it if the arm merits.

Please advise.
Joshua

The ADC LMF-2 carbon fiber tonearm on my Thorens TD 160 B Mark II needs replacing. This is a very light arm and suitable for high-compliance cartridges like Shure V15 or Ortofon Super OM 20/30/40. Besides, the counterwright and anti-skating goes to only 1.5 gms and that excludes too many other carts.

I am looking for an arm that can handle (besides above mentioned carts) for MC carts which tend to be heavier and less compliant (say a Denon DL 103, or one of its many flavours).

I have seriously looked at only:
1. Jelco SA-750D (oil damped, 9 inch)
2. Rega RB 250/300/301

Please advise what other arms I should be considering. The Jelco 750D seems like a good bet, though it cost about twice of the Rega RB301. Ideally the arm must not be too complicated to set up, and should be stable over the long term. Despite what many folks say, I prefer removable headshell type as I want to roll carts:) Is it very involving to swap cartridges on fixed headshells? Does it cause unexpected pains in the nether parts of the anatomy?

I am rebuilding the plinth (yeah I know, this has been in "wyts" - work yet to start - mode, for a long time now:)).
a) Does it make (much) sense to opt for a 12 inch arm instead of the usual 9 inchers?
b) What are the advantages of 12 inchers over 9 or 10 inchers? (I understand a larger plinth will be needed for 12").
c) what are merits/demerits of S arms versus straight arms?

I would like to limit myself to 300-350-ish USDs, but can stretch it if the arm merits.

Please advise.
Joshua

@Josh

check with Herr Jochen Semler about his. He was talking to about the Denon 103 with Rega 250 tonearm and other choices just yesterday at a local Bangalore Vinyl meet. He deals in tonearms as well and can provide you with a few choices Made in Germany I think.

--G0bble

Last edited:
@Josh

check with Herr Jochen Semler about his. He was talking to about the Denon 103 with Rega 250 tonearm and other choices just yesterday at a local Bangalore Vinyl meet. He deals in tonearms as well and can provide you with a few choices Made in Germany I think.

--G0bble

The Rega RB-251 was the one. I saw it yesterday on Asit's Cello and it's quite average. Does not do justice to the Cello at all. Plus Semler swears that the cabling is pretty low quality. I myself have no experience but just by looking at it, I could tell it is low quality. The upgraded cabling is about 250 Euros. Ouch.

Semler can arrange for the Scheu arms for sure. The Classic arm is around the 30K mark.

Since you are a thorens person, why not spend a bit more and get the Thomas Schick once and for all. It pairs really well with a DL103.

"OK, but the Schick is 950$ or thereabouts."

Oops, not 950, but 1575!

Last edited:
the schroeder is almost 3K+ USD..ithink joshua is lookig at a budget at around 300 USD !

Joshua, for the price an RB250 is really good.you can also look at Origin live which sell a modified RB250 and you can choose the Upgrade you want.he structural and rewiring is perhaps the most value for mOney

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the Rega is perhaps one of the better combos with a DL103 than a jelco..

removable headshells are easier to change carts..but is fixed on is not really that difficult (as long as you put the screw head on top)

the S is considered better as is it give a heavier "actual"length etc etc..but is very much a design thing and as long as it is well designed it doe nt matter

Hi,

Look for a good Grace 707 tonearm.The Denon DL103 will work very well with it,but if you can land a good Supex SD900 it is a match made in heaven.

Grace 707 MkII Tonearm for phono LP turntable sumiko | eBay

The Grace 707 seems to be selling in the $250 -$350 range.The Grace was the arm Linn recomended for the LP12 before they introduced the Ittok.

Also the old Mission 774 is a good tonearm in your budget.

Mission 774 (Original) Tonearm - Great Condition! | eBay

Another suggestion,since you are tweeking the TD160 look at getting a set of Linn springs and fit them in place of original Thorens springs.The Linn springs are better .

LP12 Suspension Set

As for a 12 inch arm on the TD160,my suggestion is to stick with a 9 inch arm . If you want a 12 inch arm get it for your TD124.

Regards
Rajiv

I have an update on my earlier post about the Rega 251. I am quoting Jochen, who obviously knows more than me. I apologize if my post was misleading:

"It's not an average arm. For it's price it's even a very good arm. Only the cable is of mediore quality and if changed to a better cable the arm will perform even better. Production of this arm has now stopped. But till now it's the most widely used tone arm ever. The sold numbers has already crossed the number of the earlier most popular arm SME 3009. RB250 or RB251 was often used on tables worth many thousand Euro/Dollar. It's a real good arm with exemplary price/performance ratio."

Last edited:
I have been reading up on the Origin Live modded RB-251 and it is looking more and more interesting. In its fully modded avatar, some users are comparing it to some stratospheric, super arms. Surprisingly OL claims that the OL1 mod betters RB300, 600 and even 900 mods.

Apparently, there are further DIY mods which can take the sonics to an even higher plane (here on audiogon).

And even further mods here.

consider pro-ject 9cc

Went and checked at Nova Audio's new shop at Mahim today - 9cc tonearm is about Euro 550 landed Mumbai. Almost similar in price to the full mod OL1 ($750, iirc, before shipping, insurance, customs). They had on display the Evo version of the 9cc which is about 750 Euros gracing a ProJect TT which is magnetically suspended (can't remember the model number).
Joshua

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back