Which Upscaling DVD Player for HD Ready TV?

myriad

Hello Friends,
I have a Hitachi 42" HD Ready Plasma TV. I want to replace my ageing Pioneer 373 DVD player with an upscaling DVD player with HDMI output. Shall i go for OPPO? if yes, then which model? OR shall i go for some cheaper player with upscaling?
Regards
Vasu

If you're buying from India (authorised channels) these are your options:

1) Cambridge Audio DV89 - Rupees 10,000
2) Cambridge Audio 540D - Rupees 16,000
2) Oppo 981H - Rupees 17,500? Someone said it is available for 15k
3) Denon 1740 - 15k

I've seen the DV89 and the Oppo 981H at work in different contexts, both are excellent players, but the Oppo has the edge. From reviews and other information also, from the bunch listed above the Oppo 981H should be your best option, especially if you can get it for 15k. The CA 540D is also supposed to be an excellent player, and it LOOKS the best of the lot, so if looks matter, then the CA should be considered :)

Of course if you know someone abroad (particularly the US), then by all means go for Oppo, because the CA stuff you won't get it too much cheaper abroad, but the Oppo stuff you will, for instance the 981H should be about 12,000 INR equivalent.

Hello Friends,
I have a Hitachi 42" HD Ready Plasma TV. I want to replace my ageing Pioneer 373 DVD player with an upscaling DVD player with HDMI output. Shall i go for OPPO? if yes, then which model? OR shall i go for some cheaper player with upscaling?
Regards
Vasu

If you're buying from India (authorised channels) these are your options:

1) Cambridge Audio DV89 - Rupees 10,000
2) Cambridge Audio 540D - Rupees 16,000
2) Oppo 981H - Rupees 17,500? Someone said it is available for 15k
3) Denon 1740 - 15k

I've seen the DV89 and the Oppo 981H at work in different contexts, both are excellent players, but the Oppo has the edge. From reviews and other information also, from the bunch listed above the Oppo 981H should be your best option, especially if you can get it for 15k. The CA 540D is also supposed to be an excellent player, and it LOOKS the best of the lot, so if looks matter, then the CA should be considered :)

Of course if you know someone abroad (particularly the US), then by all means go for Oppo, because the CA stuff you won't get it too much cheaper abroad, but the Oppo stuff you will, for instance the 981H should be about 12,000 INR equivalent.

All the 4 players you have mentioned are in my budget. The only thing i want is good pic and a coax out for audio. I won't be using other features like SACD, DVD-A etc.
Regards
Vasu

then Vasu, go for Oppo 981H . And as a bonus it will serve as an excellent CD player too.

then Vasu, go for Oppo 981H . And as a bonus it will serve as an excellent CD player too.

Thanks Suhas!
Is Oppo available in Bangkok?
My son will be going to Bangkok in Dec for his exams. If it's cheaper out there he can always carry one back home.
Regards
Vasu

Thanks Suhas!
Is Oppo available in Bangkok?
My son will be going to Bangkok in Dec for his exams. If it's cheaper out there he can always carry one back home.
Regards
Vasu

Why not? But what I heard is BK is costlier than HK. Anyway there is one forum members who is in BK (and some times in Delhi) id: SKR, please check with him to get some pointer about dealers in BK

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back