white and black spots on the projected image

sriniv77

Hi,

I have an Optoma DLP Projector( DW318 bought in UK 6 months back ) at home for movies. The projector has been good but recently white and black spots started appearing in the image and off late the spots are increasing. I think it is to do with dust particles as there is a road close by which runs along our house. I have tried cleaning the external lens but it doesn't help. Opened up the projector and tried cleaning the lens /glass within the bulb even that didn't help.

I need help on cleaning the dust - on the tools(i.e compressed air blower), methods, etc

Is there any place in Chennai where i can get it serviced (cleaned) ?

Thanks
Srini

Its sad to hear of your plight in just within 6 months of purchase! I always thought that DLP projectors are immune to dust but it seems this is not the case for Indian conditions.
Its possible that dust has entered optical block (which houses color wheel). I would not recommend opening and cleaning that yourself. Please get in touch with Optoma people, they may be able to point you to right service destination.
Its possible that specks of tar/carbon from road smoke has gotten stuck on lens etc. It will not be possible to clean it through simple wiping or air blow. It may need some cleaner to get it out.

Service Center

In such a situation the lesson to learn would be, keep the projector covered at all times with double cloth and keep windows closed at the time of watching a movie or consider a projector lift, but it will be quite a expensive situation as the false ceiling also will have to be done, etc.

In general nothing is immune to anything if not handled well, be it the Indian or American soil.

It is any day wise that the authorised service center handles the projector then we making attempts to straighten it, based on our maybe filmy imaginative view that so and so thing must have happened by which the projector is not working in order.

V.

Last edited:
They may not be dust spots but something else. But dust protection is a must for projectors. That is one reason why I have not ceiling mounted my projector. I have it placed over a high bookshelf where it is in easy reach. It is always covered by a cloth when not in use. Last 5 years - no issues so far - touchwood.

Get the PJ serviced from a known person.

dust blobs on the color wheel do not appear totally black, those appear more like a dusty, blurry part on the screen. If its too dark, then it may be something stuck on the lens.

Vinay said:
or consider a projector lift

Hello Vinay,

Can you please elaborate a little bit on this if you have the time ? I am quite interested in knowing how this is done and the costs involved.

Regards,

Sunil

Hello Vinay,

Can you please elaborate a little bit on this if you have the time ? I am quite interested in knowing how this is done and the costs involved.

Regards,

Sunil
A projector lift is a device that hides the projector in the false ceiling (FC). Normally the PJ is well concealed inside the FC. When you start it, a square panel of the FC comes down guided by telescopic rails and a lift motor. The lift is programmed to bring down the projector below a specific height. Once done, when you switch off, the lift lifts the PJ back into the ceiling. The ceiling appears completely plain now.

You can google it.

How does using PJ lift protects against dust? Doesn't dust gets inside false ceiling too?

dust blobs on the color wheel do not appear totally black, those appear more like a dusty, blurry part on the screen. If its too dark, then it may be something stuck on the lens.
You are right! Any spot on color wheel will not be stationary on screen but will be a blur because of motion of color wheel. I didn't think of that before :)

How does using PJ lift protects against dust? Doesn't dust gets inside false ceiling too?
It will minimize the dust issue. But yes, you are right. It cannot get rid of dust issue totally. You will still require (lesser) cleaning every month or two. :)

I took the projector to the Optoma service people. The service guy told me it is not the dust causing the white dots but the DMD chip( a chip with a mirror on a side) is gone and replacing it would cost above 15k and adding to that they dont have the DMD chip for my model(dw 318) and will have to be ordered from Taiwan , as of now they are not sure whether the DMD chip for this model is available or not.:sad:

How do i confirm the sopts are caused by faulty DMD or just the dusts ?
Does the dust cause white glowing spots( as in my case) ?
somewhere i read the dust wont cause white dots/ spots.

I took the projector to the Optoma service people. The service guy told me it is not the dust causing the white dots but the DMD chip( a chip with a mirror on a side) is gone and replacing it would cost above 15k and adding to that they dont have the DMD chip for my model(dw 318) and will have to be ordered from Taiwan , as of now they are not sure whether the DMD chip for this model is available or not.:sad:

You initially said black & white spots and road vicinity that's why we thought of it as dust problem. Do you see mainly white spots only? AFAIK white spots are indeed caused by problems in DMD chip and only solution is to replace it. But people usually see this problem after 2-3 years of usage. Its really surprising that you see this within 6 months only. Bad luck!

It could be dead pixels. Look carefully, and check if all the spots are perfectly rectangular/has straight edges. Dust blobs will appear of any shape and will be very blurry.

If it is indeed dead pixel, then TI has a 5 year warranty on the DMD chip. Optoma is one of the vendor. Check this link - DLP News Release Details

Bring it to notice of Optoma service people and you should get the DMD chip replaced under warranty for free. If they don't have the DMD chip available, then Optoma should give you a replacement unit.

Sunil,

As fellow member has explained you about the projector lift, i will like to add the following.

I have made a false ceiling of acoustic tiles, it costed Rs.40,000/-. The projector lift was for Rs.35,000/- and is managed by logitech remote control.

I am no more using the lift because my new projector does not fit in.

The type of tiles and lift which i have used can be seen in the video of my mini theater.

V.

Hello Vinay,

Regards,

Sunil

Last edited:
Projector Lift

The ceiling tiles are well packed as per video of my Mini Theatre, so dust getting in, will not be more then 1%, so i have a lead of 99% for less dust, if this is not enough, i stay on a higher floor so it is very difficult for the dust to travel.

Further the room does not have windows and is used only for movies and projector related activities, the room is well closed when not in use.

However even if one does not have a projector lift, still the dust part can be handled easily with some basic precautions.

V.

Great post on the dmd chip problem, I have removed my chip, but I am having the hardest time finding a place to purchase it. Anyone have any sources for a optoma dmd chip.

Great post on the dmd chip problem, I have removed my chip, but I am having the hardest time finding a place to purchase it. Anyone have any sources for a optoma dmd chip.

There are lot of listings on eBay, if you're OK with e-purchase :)

Dear Srini,

I sincerely hope that your DMD chip is covered under warranty and Optoma replaces it for you at no cost. In case you are not able to get them to change it, try and see if you know anyone in Delhi. I visited Esplanade road near Chandni Chowk in Delhi last week and saw many shops repairing projectors. You can then have the chip sourced from them or send the PJ for repair. My own Sony handycam for which Sony service center was asking 13.5K to repair was fixed in Rs. 1200.

The repair centers on Esplanade road seemed to have stock of all spare parts for projectors. Try and google if you can locate contact details and see if they can ship the chip for you as well.

I had the exact same problem with my 61' DLP samsung. Some projection TV's have this as a common issue. BUT, i just called and told the manufacture (samsung) about this issue, they said its common issue with the DL Chip, and that they will come fix it for free. They said if it was the DL chip and they replace it and it works i wont have to pay anything at all, if it doesnt work than i would have to pay for the technicians trip down to my house and that would be it, so we will see. Hope this helps, just try calling the manufacture.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back