XIAOMI MI LASER PROJECTOR purchased and installed ACOUSTICALLY TRANSPARENT DARK GREY DIY SCREEN

It is not the question of dodging. Since it goes in your suitcase you can comfortably walk out in green channel. If you are confronted by the customs officer declare him you have a projector which you have been using and you are being it for your own use, 99% of the times they permit you to walk out.

Otherwise also you are permitted to bring upto 40K INR items duty-free less that value from 1.3L you will be charged duty on 90K.
Understood :)
Definitely I would be ordering this one. Hope this would fit in to the cabin bag. I was little much confused with the LG HF85JA and this piece, was hoping LG would be releasing a better version of UST in this CES 2018 but they haven't. They have released a 4k projector which isi a mystery as of now but definitely not a UST

I was seriously following the launch of the Epson LS 100 UST Laser projector's launch in the first week of November last year just to acquire one from US for $3000/- through some one who will be travelling back to India. In the middle of November 2017 I was just curious to see the reviews of the newly launched Epson UST LS 100 on viewing four youtube video reviews (there were only four of them for this product at that time) I stumbled upon the video review of Xiaomi MI Laser Projector and there was abundant reviews which sucked me inside to the product and I was totally impressed by the Specifications and the picture and sound quality in the presented videos that too at the price of $1500/- (Only available in China at this price in MI store) so decided to buy one.

Searched all over the world for a shop to buy it for 1500 USD but in vain and in online it was quoted 2250 USD after upcoming Christmas Discount it was 1936$ including shipping to India Plus Import duties at actuals. Having known it is available for 1500$ in MI stores in China decided to take that route. So contacted my supplier ( Supplier of my materials for my Main business last 6 years) to whom I had placed some 6CBM of materials and the shipment was under preparation for dispatch. I had requested the marketing manager to buy one from the MI store and include it in the any one of the boxes and I will clear it here by paying duties. He did try all MI stores in Shanghai and no stock luckily he could locate one in Beijing and got it thru his friend to Shanghai and shipped it with my consignment to India / Chennai.

Two weeks in sailing. That was a long wait got the projector cleared from Customs first week of January 2018 and brought home my MI LASER PROJECTOR From my warehouse. Just switched it on. I had to download and install .apk file for the Menu Language to be English cause everything was in Chineese

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT my existing projector is a Panasonic AR100 also I had tried Panasonic 8000. Compared to these the MI Laser Projector is way ahead stunningly razor sharp images with extreme colour rendering and black cum contrast levels. When I had opened MS word file the letters were like viewing in 21" LED monitor and not like in a 115" projection screen. The built in Two way two channel speakers with a wave guide technology (as in Bose) are doing an amazing job compared to any LED TV. In fact whom ever had visited me to see this projector initially thought the audio is from large speakers. They were totally blown when I said the audio is from the Projectors in built speakers.

I have kept the projector almost just 35 cms from the screen to achieve 115 inches of projection which is amazing. The projector is with auto focus so incase if i move the near and far from the screen the focus is never compromised and it is instant and you will not even notice. When I had projected the video to my existing DALITE motorised screen the minute undulations in the screen were very much visible and even the mild dangling of the screen due to wind was creating a huge distraction in the image projected due the exponential zooming of the image with in a short distance.

So I had installed the fixed frame Acoustically transparent screen which I made my self and projected the image first in white screen with Black backup cloth the Image was too bright and enormous colour wash out was happening so changed to Dark Grey screen with the same Black back up cloth OMG what a transformation the Black levels and Contrast levels have improved like anything and the direct broad day sunlight hitting the screen from straight opposite to screen did less damage to PQ. In the night having the 14w LED bulbs ON did not matter at all we could watch picture as though watching in LED TV.

MI is not a native 4K projector but then it supports 4K files with their on board proprietary downscaling circuitry, The have native HDR10 processing and with adequate brightness which is the more important factor for 4K videos than simple 4K resolution. Played 4K videos from my INtel NUC 6i7 and the video was superior and never felt like from a projector. Unfortunately the present configuration of my NUC does not support HDR10 hence I could not try those video files. Cause HDR10 requires 7i7 processor with Intel 620 Iris Graphics. I have Power DVD 17 software which is the only certified HDR10 and Dolby Vision media player.

I take this opportunity to thank our forum member Elagoas for his thread on Acoustic transparent screen from where I could finalise on the screen material without a necessity to try various options and waste time.

As the +2 examinations round the corner my younger son in +2 I have Section 144 running in home to touch the entertainment gears. Probably will post more reviews after the examinations are over.

The video photos I have attached here are of Standard definition and not HD One photo is with Two 14watts LED bulbs ON other one is with NO bulbs ON but with some side lights from my dining space.
View attachment 26302View attachment 26303View attachment 26306View attachment 26307View attachment 26309View attachment 26310View attachment 26311View attachment 26312

@rbalagopalan : Thank you for sharing this projector + screen installation walk through.
Both the projector make & model and the DIY acoustically transparent grey screen will be at the back of my mind when I want to go that route, hopefully soon.
I am new to the forum and very new to grey screen concept. The activities here on the forum have shed enough light to explain and demonstrate its advantages. So thanks to you all!

Congratulations again Mr. R. Balagopalan!!

Regards,

Ravindra Desai.

It is not the question of dodging. Since it goes in your suitcase you can comfortably walk out in green channel. If you are confronted by the customs officer declare him you have a projector which you have been using and you are being it for your own use, 99% of the times they permit you to walk out.

Otherwise also you are permitted to bring upto 40K INR items duty-free less that value from 1.3L you will be charged duty on 90K.

Leave alone projector, I brought Emotiva sub in original carton through green channel in Delhi as it cost $299. It helped that the carton dimensions(lbw) totalled the specifications of lufthansa.

Leave alone projector, I brought Emotiva sub in original carton through green channel in Delhi as it cost $299. It helped that the carton dimensions(lbw) totalled the specifications of lufthansa.

For him size is not the issue. Only query is can it be accommodated in cabin baggage and Customs implications. Youe talking about$299 (this far much lower than the free customs limit) we are contemplating on $2000 the discussion is on the value for customs.

Understood :)
Definitely I would be ordering this one. Hope this would fit in to the cabin bag. I was little much confused with the LG HF85JA and this piece, was hoping LG would be releasing a better version of UST in this CES 2018 but they haven't. They have released a 4k projector which isi a mystery as of now but definitely not a UST

I am sure security implications will not allow you to bring in cabin baggage. Be sure to remove the batteries of remote.

For him size is not the issue. Only query is can it be accommodated in cabin baggage and Customs implications. Youe talking about$299 (this far much lower than the free customs limit) we are contemplating on $2000 the discussion is on the value for customs.
The implication was that it would not be difficult to bring in cabin baggage through customs when a sub in full view can be brought in without any problem.

Full physical view is not required. Even if it is in suitcase after scanning they are marking "C" on the suitcase all sides.

Seeing that the customs officer might confront the passenger asking for the content. For which I had explained the kind of answer in my first post.

Still if in doubt they will ask the passenger to open the suitcase. Infact they are googling and arriving at the right price immediately. Ofcourse these are rare scenarios when you have only two suitcase and no further electronics.

I have brought in my Symphonic line RG10 MKiv reference integrated amplifier as check in baggage. Just to quote one item.

There are many posts in this forum where in this topic has been discussed in length and breadth.

I have myself carried projectors 3 times but that was LG led ones. they are very small (similar to a 10inch laptop) and I carried it in my laptop sack bag. Passed easily with no questions asked. Xiomi projector is different; its a 7kg unit which is max for a cabin size, its leaser unit and has speakers built in. When any device has got magnets, customs raises their eyebrows. I was detained in Paris for half n hour for carrying bose sound dock portable in my cabin bag. Though nothing happen after few formal questions.

Dear Friends I bought this projector online from a Alibaba supplier(I live in Muscat/Oman) and I am using the ALR screen from Carl's and somehow I feel that the images are not as sharp as it should be (based on the reviews the images should be very sharp..).I dont know which setting I should change to make the best picture out of it.I have tried changing the picture settings based on the suggestions in various pages and the color and vibrancy have improved but when watching Worldcup in Airtel HD I feel the picture is not crisp.Any suggestions ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFDMYF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Material Mistake - Amazon had 2 options for screen fabric packaging (Rolled or Folded) and to save few dollars I opted for folded instead of rolled and when the material was put on frame the folding creases is very much visible and tried everything to remove it but no use and it shows when playing videos.So now I have ordered the same fabric rolled.

Some how even in Videocon d2h telecast of WC football vin HD also not sharper. Same case in TATA SKY. I think it's the problem of Sony.

Where as Cricket, Travel HD and all razor sharp @115" of projection.

Some how even in Videocon d2h telecast of WC football vin HD also not sharper. Same case in TATA SKY. I think it's the problem of Sony.

Thanks for the reply..I will try to check the channels you mentioned.I tried some 4K youtube demos and it looked fantastic.

Probably a signal strength issue as it seems very sharp on my 124" screen using Tata Sky and comparable to the Wimbledon shown on Star sports. The audio is another matter.

hi i am from chennai and building new house in second floor i am going to have dedicated place for projector so i am planning to buy ultra short throw projector and dedicated wall painted for projector instead screen. so i need some suggestion whether i should buy ultra short throw or normal full hd projectors, and should i paint wall or buy a screen

First timer here. And also an owner of Mi Laser projector.

Wanted to ask what material you used for the grey screen @rbalagopalan ? Is it spandex? From where you bought it.

I have been experimenting with mostly painted Matt white screens....and now want to put up a dark grey screen in my living room which have fair amount of ambient light.

Thanks in advance

First timer here. And also an owner of Mi Laser projector.

Wanted to ask what material you used for the grey screen @rbalagopalan ? Is it spandex? From where you bought it.

I have been experimenting with mostly painted Matt white screens....and now want to put up a dark grey screen in my living room which have fair amount of ambient light.

Thanks in advance

Yes it is Spandex. It is also known as Lycra Fine. Should be 250 Thread count. The optimum stretching is 10 to 15 % max. If you do it beyond that you will have light leakage. Less then Acoustic transparency might be affected.

I got the material from Thirupur in Tamilnadu.

Hi I still feel that I am not getting the full quality from my projector.I use ROKU for playing movies (PLEX app streaming from NAS server).If someone can post their colour/display settings it will be great so that I can adjust it and see how it looks.I will post the screenshots of my set up soon.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back