Who owns the STB and the dish??

goyal.sanchit

Hello

I had few doubts in mind and would be glad to know the answers.

1.) Who owns the STB and the dish- The company or the consumer?

2.) Can a company take back the equipment after the user decides not to continue with the service?

3.) Do the companies generally take back the equipment?

4.) Is it of any use to the consumer expcept for selling in scrap?

PS: I would specially like to know the policy of reliance about this and also about other brands.

Regards

Last edited:
Yes ,we dont own the devices provided by private operators.
I have spare STB/Dish which I had installed before I got Disstv for free ch.

The company owns the equipment, as per the agreement the service provider will take it back. I have used almost 3 different service providers, non of them have taken it back. No, there is no use except any offer from same or different service provider for exchange comes, just like sun direct HD.

Hello

I had few doubts in mind and would be glad to know the answers.

2.) Can a company take back the equipment after the user decides not to continue with the service?

PS: I would specially like to know the policy of reliance about this and also about other brands.

I can ans with respect to TATA SKY, I am not sure what rules other SPs follow...........

A : STB is owned by the user and Dish by the company

A : As the dish is owned by the company they would take it back if I decide not continue there services.....

A : Well they should, I am still using TATA SKY so can comment on that.

A : Currently the STB is locked to the service provider so it cant be used with any other SP, (though talks were there to make STB provider free, but lately havent heard anything on that front)
So yes for a user the STB technically would serve no purpose if he disconinues the services.......other than try to sell that to a dealer.....

i have airtel & big dth ,company owns the stb .

the company is supposed to take it back,but i hardly see them doing it,i guess the isp aren't bothered.

Once TRAI interpolability rules come into act then one can use a stb with any DTH, currently its in the court .Tata sky and dish tv haven't agreed since their stb cannot be used with airtel,big tv,sun direct & videocon.

Hey I've my Tata Sky STB and Dish lying at my place for a very long time(2 years, as at my current place I can't get signal). They never bothered to took it back from me. And can this be transferred to someone else's name just by paying the installation charges? A friend was asking me and I wanted to give it to him.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back