Why do live programmes on PA/DJ speaker systems sound brighter than CDs on above average Home Audio Systems?

Subcenter2009

Dear Friends,
I am not talking about audiophile quality here.
I was wondering how PA speaker systems, during say a church service or a light music concert could sound passably acceptable?
While we miss that 'punch" while listening to most high quality HI FI systems.
How can a live programme on decent DJ speakers like JBL or Cerwin Vega not only shake the room but also give that kick that we crave for sometimes while say, watching an explosive action sequence on our home theater..
Can we invest in mid size PA amps and speakers for our Home theater?
What do you think?
Good DJ speakers could possibly be a good alternative to expensive audiophile grade stuff?
I'm talking about earth shaking punch here... that we all sometimes crave for.
Your comments and views invited..
Yours,
Subcenter2009

The above post does not talk about audiophile sound and sound systems.
Only asks how a PA/DJ economical speaker system could sound much brighter and give more "punch" than some hallowed and prohibitively expensive sound systems.
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Dear Friends,
I was wondering how PA speaker systems, during say a church service or a light music concert could sound passably acceptable?
How can a live programme on decent DJ speakers like JBL or Cerwin Vega not only shake the room but also give that kick that we crave for sometimes while say, watching an explosive action sequence on our home theater..
What do you think?
Good DJ speakers could possibly be a good alternative to expensive audiophile grade stuff?
Yours,
Subcenter2009
Sure!!
If you plan to watch movies in the open or in a big concert hall.
Bring these into your home and they will give you a headache.
What you hear is a function of amplification + speakers + room.
Your listening space couples with the speakers and renders sound.
Plus PA speakers or DJ speakers are high on distortion

Cheers,
Raghu

Brings me back to the first question.. How can a live programme sound Brighter and clearer than a decent HIFI system?

Brings me back to the first question.. How can a live programme sound Brighter and clearer than a decent HIFI system?
EQ is heavily used to bump up high frequency
It's needed as higher frequencies dissipate faster in open spaces
Clearer is a matter of opinion
I have never thought it to be so
Unless it's unamplified
Cheers,
Raghu

I have always found these systems too bright for my liking. After few minutes I start having headache.

Raghu already gave you enough explanation that these systems are heavily "EQed".

Dear Friends,
What do you think?
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Well to give you a perspective....In the past during school / college days i was an Active DJ...my elder brother also plays the piano / organ professionally....in short, family of professional musicians.....

Equipment used outdoors or commercially is made specifically for professional use to handle continuous loud outputs, heat, fatigue etc. There is no rule that these cant be used at home, provided you are ready to spend for the correct product.

Timber matching is a big challenge and thats what few have got right in terms of impedance, output, frequency etc. Some do things passionately.

Some just want to make money and will buy any cheap stuff from the market and say they have sound systems etc.

It is unfortunate that at Lamington Road, you get copies of JBL or P Audio which are really good professional speakers.....you cant even decipher between the original and copy.....only thru a demo...if you have ever heard these brands before, you will know the difference...

Same goes for power amps and mics etc.....

The latest Crown power digital amps are really good and work like a charm. Here also copies available...

So before you venture to buy any professional speaker or amp......check the official price from the authorised dealer and then check who is giving it cheaper......there could also be dealers selling the copies...so be careful....

When you talk about live / PA systems, they vary in quality and spl. So, unless one knows your reference point, it is very difficult to correlate and give an accurate answer. I am a big live music concert goer especially when I travel. Mostly smaller rock and jazz gigs and larger scale classical. The quality of PA varies a lot at these venues. Classical venues are usually the best ( very less amplification ) and then it is the Jazz gigs. Rock gig varies the most. They set it up depending upon the folks that frequents the place. Some places gives you a headache in five minutes flat while others makes you sit and listen for hours. But I get your point about the kick, punch and sizzle at a live music experience which hifi systems cannot do. This problem is not due to the gear in the hifi chain but due to the recording and playback chain. There is no way you can record and playback the dynamic range of live music without losing a lot of it ( both at the recording stage as well as playback ). The highest levels of hifi setups are just about 80 - 85 % replica of the original. And when it comes to dynamics, the loss is more. Try getting a 1 inch tweeter play the attack, sustain and decay of a zildjian cymbal after it is given a nice thwack ?? In your dreams!

If you crave for that punch and sizzle, then one way to get closer to it is to assemble a system that has live music heritage. Speakers like JBL, Klipsch heritage that has larger woofer cones. You can even drive them with amps like crown. The new digital ones are quite nice. Add a parametric equalizer into the mix and you are good to go. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Don't know about that, but there are companies that make consumer speakers with pro-audio capabilities. You can save yourself a lot of money by staying away from companies that market their speakers as "audiophile-grade" (whatever that means).

One famous DJ told me that PA/Professional audio is certainly not good for Home.He used and found bright and not for long listening.Reason may be big speakers meant for throwing sound to long distance.Live shows mostly use class D amps.The real champ in pro audio is mixer and DSP used for correction.

A lot of pro-audio companies make audiophile gear anyways. JBL, Klipsch, Bose, Yamaha to name a few. Most home audio systems I have heard are underpowered lack those Dynamics you are talking about. I am a firm believer in having as powerful an amplifier that you can get and see the difference. Home audio speakers and a pro audio amplifier can give you the sizzle and slam without the headache. No wonder large speakers like Klipsch heritage are still in demand.

Do read up these links

Dear Friends,
What do you think?
Yours,
Subcenter2009
Dear Subcentre,
Nice open article.In fact I had heard a set up of similar config which was basically a fine PA based equipment,but good speakers with 12"woofers.The sound would beat many so called hi-end systems.Since that time,I also started having reservations about pure sounding hifi.In my humble opinion, a so called purist system should have the excitement of a live show,but sadly most fail and sound colourless.My purists friends would certainly not agree,but it is purely my opinion and I would stand corrected only if I get to listen to a purist system rather than see specs or read about the purity or linearity aspects.
Regards,
Rupy

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back