Why do older blu-ray titles require higher volume levels?

Donivlapog

I was watching "you've got mail" and "the green mile" movies in Bluray and although they were 5.1 and dolby surround, the volume was real low. I had to play at 68 while most BRDs had decent sound output at 45-48. I checked Saving private Ryan and although thats old and does not display dts master or dolby truehd and had the plain 5.1 dolby, this title had deafening effects at 68 and i reduced it to 45 immediately. Should i assume dts master hd or dolby truehd or the higher bitrate lossless formats were actually not displayed in the disc box cover of Saving private, or that the lossy sound in the first two movies as example (TGM and You've got mail) was due to poor quality of sound mixing by the BRD manufacturers?

Can someone tell me in layman terms why some BR discs are better sounding than others. Even though they don't mention stereo, the audio sounds like stereo and not so punchy. Don't they follow some standards for effective audio mixing? Are these DVD quality sold off as BR discs?

I was watching "you've got mail" and "the green mile" movies in Bluray and although they were 5.1 and dolby surround, the volume was real low. I had to play at 68 while most BRDs had decent sound output at 45-48. I checked Saving private Ryan and although thats old and does not display dts master or dolby truehd and had the plain 5.1 dolby, this title had deafening effects at 68 and i reduced it to 45 immediately. Should i assume dts master hd or dolby truehd or the higher bitrate lossless formats were actually not displayed in the disc box cover of Saving private, or that the lossy sound in the first two movies as example (TGM and You've got mail) was due to poor quality of sound mixing by the BRD manufacturers?
The same issue is with Godfather Collection Bluray (The Coppola Restoration) part I, II & III. They are the collector's item having the audio in Dolby TrueHD 5.1, but the audio is anything but pathetic. The volume level needs to be kept on something around 65+ I found the DVD recording to much better on the audio front. I have the Saving Private Ryan on DD as well as in DTS both perform well, though the DTS is much better.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back