Why do Turntables have 5mV analog out where my amp requires minimum of 1V input?

vinothkumar

Hello People,

Im in a verge of buying a Turntable to play some of my used LPs bought recently. Since I am entirely new to this LPs and Turntables I have so many questions about Phono as well as Line out of Turntables. Both the ways we will be getting only 5mV output through the analogs.

My amplifier has a MM Phono input too but still I want this doubt to be clarified. So please help me why is this less voltage in the output of turntable? What actually gonna happen if I plug them into my MM phono input of my amp? Do I have to crank my volume (not with the case of DAC / Cd players) if I use turntables?

Please note: My amp is Arcam A39, Phono input sentivity is also 5mV.

Thanks in advance.

5mV of a MM cartridge is typically @1 KHz not its entire bandwidth. The Phono pre-amp will apply RIAA EQ and depending upon the circuit there will be a gain of around 36dB (typical) to around 48dB (this will depend upon the cartridge selected).

Typically cartridge having lower output (around 3.2mv) should have a phono preamp with a gain of around 42dB to 48dB.

With higher output (around 5mv) cartride, you should be good with a gain of 36dB for the phono stage.

Thanks hari for the quick response. My amp has a phono input so which means the amp's phono input would take care of the equalisation and preamping properly?

Thanks hari for the quick response. My amp has a phono input so which means the amp's phono input would take care of the equalisation and preamping properly?
Yes, since the input sensitivity is 5mV, you should select a cartridge with an output voltage of around 5mV, else you will need to tweak the gain stage of the phono pre-amp which could get tricky.

Thanks Hari, i dont to customize or adjust anything but i want to solve this issue by replacing a good catridge with 5mV output.

Found a good audio technica catridge which outputs 5mV and i want this catridge to be used in a basic denon TT.

Would it be a right way to get the desired output? Would the audio technica and denon are the right match?

I dont have much experience with various types of cartridge and tone arms to be honest. May be other FMs can pitch in here with their suggestions.

Both the ways we will be getting only 5mV output through the analogs.

5mV is the minimum voltage that can be amplified by the phono preamp section of your Arcam amplifier.

My amplifier has a MM Phono input too but still I want this doubt to be clarified. So please help me why is this less voltage in the output of turntable? What actually gonna happen if I plug them into my MM phono input of my amp? Do I have to crank my volume (not with the case of DAC / Cd players) if I use turntables?

Plug in your turntable output to MM phono input of your amp ONLY and not CD or Tuner or Aux input. Phono input goes to the phono preamp chain and does correct amount of amplification and reverse equalisation.

Check the:
1/ mechanical aspect of balancing the cartridge in the tonearm. Your TT arm will have a spec which says cartridges of so and so weight range can be used. If you use something heavier, the counter balance weight of the arm may not be able to provide correct tracking force.

2/ whatever cartridge you choose must have output of 5 mV or higher. You can also go lower, say, to 4 mV but you'll need to put volume knob of your Arcam higher than you would a CD source. There's nothing wrong with using higher volume knob position as long as it doesn't result in more audible noise because at higher volume, noise that is inherently present in the signal chain also gets amplified more, and therefore becomes more audible.

And to address your subject "Why do Turntables have 5mV analog out where my amp requires minimum of 1V input?"
No, all turntables do NOT have 5 mV output. They can vary depending on the output of the cartridge that is used.

Your amp's requirement of X volts to drive the amplifier to full rated power is achieved by the combined gains of the phono preamp section of your amp and the line level preamp section and power amplifier section of your amp.

Last edited:
jls001 thank you so much. Can I upgrade the catridge of Denon DP29F? Somewhere I read it can be replaced but cannot be upgraded.

Some light on this please.

jls001 thank you so much. Can I upgrade the catridge of Denon DP29F? Somewhere I read it can be replaced but cannot be upgraded.

Some light on this please.

Please read the detailed specifications of the TT and specifically look for info on whether it has interchangeable cartridge. I have no personal experience with that model.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back