Turntables that I would not like to part with

kuruvilajacob

Hi folks,
I am one of the most fortunate guys in the vinyl world to have experienced several models of Direct Drives, Belt drives and Idler wheel turntables. Also many different types of Linear track turntables. I wish i had kept a diary of the turntables that have come to me over the period of time I have started this hobby of collecting turntables. Every turntable in my wish list has come to my hands and I don't have any more on my wish list. Out of these, the ones I consider most valuable and would not like to part with are the following:-
1. Lenco L 75 with PTP 4 and Thomas Shick 12" tonearm and Denon DL 103

2. Garrard 301 with Multi layered plinth and SME 3012 tonearm

3. Thorens TD 121 with Stax UA 7 unipivot tonearm Denon DL 103 cart

4. Micro Siekie DDX 100 with Dynavector DV 20 low output cartridge

5. EMT 938 with it's inbuilt phono and good MM cartridge

7. EMT 938 with Denon DL 103 cartridge with external phono stage

8. JP player with NEAT professional tonearm made for All India Radio by
Japan Phonomotor company
9. Dual 1019 with Shure M 78 S cart to play 78 rpm records

10. Systemdeck with RB 300 tonearm and with ortofone 2M Red cart

11. Sony PS 6750 with stock tonearm.
In days to come i would like to post why I consider these as 'keeps'. I would also like to mention turntables i sold but regretted selling.

The order of my preference for these turntables do change a bit when I put different arms or cartridges. But right now I consider Lenco L 75 with Thomas Schick 12" arm , PTP 4 with Denon 103 cartridge to be my favorite. It is very silent . I usually play rock music on it and it delivers very clean and there is an immediacy to the delivery. I would attribute it to the PTP and Schick arm. I am not able to get the same quite response from my Garrard 301 and this I think is where the PTP 4 plays a very important role.

The next on my list would be a the Garrard 301 with SME 3012 tonearm with a multi layered plinth. I am at present using a Shure 95 ED cart . The Garrard 301 has the biggest slam probably due to the very high torque. I am using this with Sansui AU 7900 amp and Sansui SP X6 speakers. A dream combination very difficult to beat . Very warm and finish. Sansui AU 7900 amplifier is in my opinion is one of the top Sansui amps.

Today I had the pleasure of hosting our former moderator George O to listen to some of my turntables. Though he was interested in listening to the EMTs, I could play the modified Lenco L75 and Thorens 121 with Stay UA 7 arms. Unfortunately due to lack of time, could not listen for a longer duration

Another wonderful combination I recently landed upon was the Thorens TD 121 and Stax UA 7 unipivot and Denim DL 103 cartridge. I had tried several arms with this turntable including Origin Live, Ortofon 9 " arm and few other arms. I wasn't happy. I never imagined the Stax arm to match this turntable. But it turned out to be a superb combination.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back