Why God, Why?

Nostalgia is good. I have keenly eyeing a tape deck for some time and I am looking to pick up a Nakamachi one of these days.

I have picked up a 24 inch FullHD monitor now and I will put up my (high end?) HTPC quickly. I have already ripped a lot of CDs, and will be doing a A-B comparison to see what, if any, I will be missing.

BTW, UnleashMe, I was actively looking for a CD Player in Dubai. :eek:. Somehow I am fascinated by the specs of the CA 650C, and might just pick that up in the near future. But I have heard a number of digital systems including the much touted Sooloos as well as simple PC playing FLAC files through a decent DAC. The quality and convenience is more than enough for me.

Cheers

If i may add, lasyt one month, the CDP has really seen less use, infact the Nakamachi has been played more then cdp, bcos the DAC has taken over my music playing requirement.

The ability to load fav songs in FB and make them play while one drifts to sleep is unparallel unlike a CDP where I have to constantly change the CDs. DM seems to have put convenience and quality in the right mix for me.

As interesting as the concept of using a PC with a DAC or soundcard is (I have been going this route for a year or so now) I am looking forward to using my PS3 in combination with a DAC to do the job in the future.

This is all supposing that I get a hold of a DAC which is far better than my PC soundcard. That way I can either stream content from the PC to the PS3 or play content stored in the PS3's hard disk seamlessly. And if the DAC offers me switching capabilities (USB and SPDIF inputs) then that would be the best of both worlds for me.

As many remote controls as there for the PC, in reality, intuitiveness is not a thing that they have got going for them. In contrast the PS3's gamepad is amazing in terms of response time as well as range. Its a pity that a PS3 cannot work with a USB DAC but then that just goes to show that that proverbial cake is not always meant to be eaten. You can have it though. :)

Until the next 'upgraditis', that is.

BTW, UnleashMe, I was actively looking for a CD Player in Dubai. :eek:. Somehow I am fascinated by the specs of the CA 650C, and might just pick that up in the near future.

Venkat,

I should NOT be advising you, because you must be aware and also very experienced. But stiil, let me just say that please do not buy a CDP (for that matter, anything) based only on the specs. Either believe your own ears or the ears of people whom you can trust. The music should move you: that's the ultimate test. Please forgive me for reminding you that (you do not need any reminding, I am sure). What is it about the 650c that fascinated you? If you already discussed this in some other thread, please give me the link.

Regards.

So there are two folks who want a change from their PC soundcard now.

Does that say something about SQ from htpc?

Regards

So there are two folks who want a change from their PC soundcard now.

Does that say something about SQ from htpc?

Regards

And who might they be, Gobble? Personally speaking I would be routing the audio from my soundcard's digital out to the DAC (when I eventually get one that I am happy with) and switch between this and a PS3 connected to the DAC.

So, no, the HTPC solution is not going away anywhere, anytime soon. It just cannot.

It will continue to be popular among the small niche of the population that likes to get their hands grubby with technology....unfortunately (or fortunately) that is never going to be the 'mass' of the market.

So, no, the HTPC solution is not going away anywhere, anytime soon. It just cannot.

And who might they be, Gobble? Personally speaking I would be routing the audio from my soundcard's digital out to the DAC (when I eventually get one that I am happy with) and switch between this and a PS3 connected to the DAC.

your statement begs the question - why another DAC? Or why route it to an external DAC as you put it?

I'm curious ... :)

Cheers

If i may add, lasyt one month, the CDP has really seen less use, infact the Nakamachi has been played more then cdp, bcos the DAC has taken over my music playing requirement.

The ability to load fav songs in FB and make them play while one drifts to sleep is unparallel unlike a CDP where I have to constantly change the CDs. DM seems to have put convenience and quality in the right mix for me.

+1 to that! Moreover people like me who have most of their music stored on the pc and are used to using it to play music would prefer a dac to enhance the sq eventhough I have been oggling used cdps for a while now!:)

It will continue to be popular among the small niche of the population that likes to get their hands grubby with technology....unfortunately (or fortunately) that is never going to be the 'mass' of the market.

No problem, psychotropic. I know sections of loyalists would be there for almost everything in audio.

your statement begs the question - why another DAC? Or why route it to an external DAC as you put it?

I'm curious ... :)

Cheers

There is just going to be a single DAC. Both the PC as well as the PS3 is going to be used off that DAC - switching back and forth as such.

Did I answer your question?

There is just going to be a single DAC. Both the PC as well as the PS3 is going to be used off that DAC - switching back and forth as such.

Did I answer your question?

ok, you will forsake the PC soundcard DAC because you just want one source
into your amp... got it :)

into your amp... got it :)

I dont get you, Gobble. With the setup I am talking of I will have two different sources. One would be the PS3 with a coaxial output to the DAC to the amp. The other would be from the PC's USB to the DAC. I plan to compare the USB output of the DAC with the Coaxial and make my call on that.

And who mentioned anything about forsaking the PC Soundcard? :)

A PC sound card is a replacement for the usually mediocre sound processors built into the MOBOS. It will help you rip your music well as well as delivery it to ANY external stage (DAC, Amp, etc) with the least amount of noise and jitter.

Now whether you use sound card's DAC or not is an option. Usually the DAC comes as part of the card. Another advantage of an external DAC is that you can use it with other devices such as an universal player, iPod, etc.

Cheers

What is it about the 650c that fascinated you? If you already discussed this in some other thread, please give me the link.

Don't worry Asit, I will not buy the player without an extended audition. I looked around in Dubai, but the 650C is expected to hit the shelves only in February.

CA followed a different route with their DACMagic. While many DACs use over sampling, DACMagix uses up-sampling to convert 16-24 bit audio to 24 bit/192kHz. In addition, they use a adaptive time filtering technology to literally remove clock based jitter. In addition, they provide optional filtering technology - linear phase/minimum phase/steep filter - that they have implemented in collaboration with a Swiss company. In addition, you can run a isolated DAC processing for each channel.

The 650C implements all these technologies as well as a re-defined transport. Look at the following specs from their website:

CA 650C said:
Taking performance even higher, the 650C builds on the 550C by optimising a pair of WM8740 24bit/ 192kHzcapable DACs implemented in a dual differential configuration. Since each channel has its own DAC to process information, completely separate and symmetrical analogue filter circuitry can be implemented for excellent imaging. The 650C also features the more sophisticated Four-Pole Dual Differential Double Virtual Earth Balanced version of this filter resulting in an incredibly low noise floor, barely measurable distortion and ultimately unprecedented levels of performance.

After extensive listening tests, Cambridge Audios engineers decided that it was possible to raise the performance of the trusted Wolfson WM8740 DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) to even greater levels and so this legendary 24bit/192kHz-capable DAC proudly features once again. But now, its been coupled to a new version of our proprietary Double Virtual Earth Balanced filter topology with Bessel Coefficients resulting in even greater musicality. These Wolfson DACs also feature a selectable digital filter with two settings enabling you to tailor output to best match your taste.

But arguably the most important development is the introduction of an entirely new in-house designed servo solution. Whereas many comparable CD players utilise an inferior CD/DVD-ROM derived drive, the 650C takes full advantage of Cambridge Audios audio-only, CD transport which is coupled to our new highly sophisticated S3 Custom CD ServoTM. This third generation audiophile servo employs an all-new chipset and the latest double-sided surface-mount technology for ultra short signal paths with freedom from wire links. The net result gives the 650C extraordinary ability to retrieve maximum digital information whilst maintaining extremely low jitter; the digital noise that affects your listening pleasure.

The 650Cs well-proven transport has been re-worked to facilitate even quieter operation and a new bracing mechanism (derived from the 740 Series) guarantees incredible rigidity. As with all Azur CD players, a high quality toroidal transformer ensures lower noise and less waveform distortion as well as incredibly quiet operation.

The Cyrus created a flutter in the market last year with their completely redesigned CDPs. This year, I think CA is trying to do something similar at a more budgetary level. My only fear is that based on the favourable reviews for the Marantz 6003, the CA engineers seem to be delaying the release of the 650C and are possibly fiddling around to beat the 6003. If they try to make it more 'musical' and 'authoritative' they may actually cut some of the superb features of the player.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back