Why God, Why?

to stoke up an old debate, is this 'musicality' perhaps euphonics?

Hi Vortex

I do not doubt that with respect to frequency balance and extension and reproduction etc. My concern is Musicality. Have you done A/B comparison of Xonar with a CDP known for it? For example the Marantz CD6002 is musical compared to CA 640V2 which is more sterile and I can vouch for it having heard both. Yes the CA is better in timing and separation but is thinner sounding. And the Marantz sound has a more rounder body heft and weight, besides musicality - in an A/B comparison with and without a tube preamp I found little difference in the tonality of Marantz<>SS pair and the Marantz<>Tube<>SS setup, except for the way the tubes flesh out the sound and 3-dimensionality. I also recently found a post somewhere in which someone modded the Cd67 to add a more expensive clock and the sound came out sterile compared to earlier. All other improvements were there like detail timing and separation but musicality took a hit!!

Likewise my concern is that while one can write paragraphs about the other superior qualities I see few references to these cards being praised for their Musicality and ability to portray Intimacy for example!!

Hence I am keen on the feedback on these qualities.

TIA
Regards

Well, if I could afford a Wadia, I would be referring to Stereophile or some such esoteric magazine and taking my cues from other. Or I will hire a expensive consultant to put together stuff for me. In most probability, I will not even have the time nor inclination to surf this site.

Suit yourself.

If people dislike gaining knowledge, learning, or making decisions based on a few discussions, there is hardly anything that anyone can do about that. As Cranky is fond of saying, I am out of here.

Didn't quite get the drift on where that was coming from but, yes, you are right.

to stoke up an old debate, is this 'musicality' perhaps euphonics?

I dunno the old debate. Here's the article about the CD67 Marantz CD 63/67

"Another funny thing (that will drive the audiophiles crazy) was that by accident, I threw about 500 ps jitter into the clock (the jitter freq. was about 250 Hz). I listened to the sound afterwards and thought just how nice warm and smooth it sounded, figuring this was it for best sound." ..." Once I fixed that up, the sound turned cold and quite clinical. The detail was greater, but it lacked the musicality the jitter condition had!"

Cheers

Hi Vortex

I do not doubt that with respect to frequency balance and extension and reproduction etc. My concern is Musicality. Have you done A/B comparison of Xonar with a CDP known for it? For example the Marantz CD6002 is musical compared to CA 640V2 which is more sterile and I can vouch for it having heard both. Yes the CA is better in timing and separation but is thinner sounding. And the Marantz sound has a more rounder body heft and weight, besides musicality - in an A/B comparison with and without a tube preamp I found little difference in the tonality of Marantz<>SS pair and the Marantz<>Tube<>SS setup, except for the way the tubes flesh out the sound and 3-dimensionality. I also recently found a post somewhere in which someone modded the Cd67 to add a more expensive clock and the sound came out sterile compared to earlier. All other improvements were there like detail timing and separation but musicality took a hit!!

Likewise my concern is that while one can write paragraphs about the other superior qualities I see few references to these cards being praised for their Musicality and ability to portray Intimacy for example!!

Hence I am keen on the feedback on these qualities.

TIA
Regards

Most definitely, Gobble. I find the Xonar based HTPC far more musical than the Marantz CD6002. I can say this because that is one of the CD players I have listened to on multiple occasions with various partnering equipments too.

However I have not had that CD player at my own room. So therein lies a variable, but from what I heard over various auditions I would rate the PC with the sound card to be far more musical.

I also recently found a post somewhere in which someone modded the Cd67 to add a more expensive clock and the sound came out sterile compared to earlier. All other improvements were there like detail timing and separation but musicality took a hit!!

When I was searching for a 1k 'musical' dac there came a lot of recommendations - all of them boasting the ultimate analytical skills and accuracy. A while back I concluded that all I wanted was something that was just nice to listen to. Make music enjoyable. Enough of running behind perfection, it was high time that a step should be taken back to enjoy all those music collected so far.

When I decided on my rather modest Taiwanese dac (havana) most of my respected friends across forums warned me against its quality, reliability, rolled off highs, perceived inaccuracy or inability to hear beyond mortal limits etc. Long story short, that is the best piece of of accessory I have ever added to my system. The change was day and night - the experience was so soothingly musical, it made me go back to many albums I have not checked out in years and found them all the more enjoyable with every repeated session.

Accuracy at the loss of musicality is definitely sterile imo. There may be people who value it the most. To each his own. But the more I tried to reach there, the more i find myself depriving the pure joy of listening to music - something that steered me into this hobby in the first place.

PS: If the next query is going to be about what 'musicality' is, guess that has been deciphered to bits by subject matter experts across various threads :)

Most definitely, Gobble. I find the Xonar based HTPC far more musical than the Marantz CD6002. I can say this because that is one of the CD players I have listened to on multiple occasions with various partnering equipments too.

However I have not had that CD player at my own room. So therein lies a variable, but from what I heard over various auditions I would rate the PC with the sound card to be far more musical.

Thanks. I have no choice but to go for it anyways. But your response will stop me from indulging in unnecessary nit-picking thoughts and wait for the build and final audition at the least... :)

Cheers

this begs the question - WHAT IS MUSICALITY ? :D

Does it have a lot to do with inaccurate jittery clocks and resonant panel loudspeakers- and a move away from accuracy and "dead" loudspeakers?

in a sense, each individual, particular system should manage to produce it's own sound signature?

and that music lovers should mix and match and get the taste that they like the best?

edit - hell, i was thwarted by gobble!

Thanks. I have no choice but to go for it anyways. But your response will stop me from indulging in unnecessary nit-picking thoughts and wait for the build and final audition at the least... :)

Cheers

Build and final audition of what, gobble?

Hi Unleash_Me

The Lavry Black DAC10 is very nice. I think it costs about $1100. In that price easily one of the best dacs. I personally prefer it to the Benchmark DAC which sounds a little sterile compared to the Lavry.

Yes Prem, the 10 is a very good one. I've also checked the Lavry11 recently along with DAC-1USB and DA100. They are some real fine DACs. Was seriously considering the 11 but eventually I picked up the Havana after a nice warm evening audition :)

this begs the question - WHAT IS MUSICALITY ? :D

Does it have a lot to do with inaccurate jittery clocks and resonant panel loudspeakers- and a move away from accuracy and "dead" loudspeakers?

in a sense, each individual, particular system should manage to produce it's own sound signature?

and that music lovers should mix and match and get the taste that they like the best?

edit - hell, i was thwarted by gobble!

"You'll know it when you hear it in comparison to a sterile gear" - is the only way I can describe it :)

Edit: May be relative ..

Cheers

The Havana looks interesting. And since you have heard the Lavry and then purchased the Havana i am sure it must be sounding mighty good.

Accuracy at the loss of musicality is definitely sterile imo.

Unleash Ji, if music doesnt sound musical it just cannot be accurate !!!
There is always this debate about accuracy vs musicality but my little experience says accuracy and musicality go hand in hand. The system which is more musical is ALWAYS more accurate. Your ears and brain always tells you which one is more correct by deciphering what you are listening to. No amount of specs can justify what your ears dont attest to. Sterility is often hidden under the cover of being more accurate but to me there is something grossly wrong with that equipment/setup which can make something as pleasing as music to sound clinical.

wherever i looked one common line dac builders said, advanced specs does not guarantee better sound quality
(i dont mean that new gear will sound bad, depending on the design the quality will vary).

there are TDA1541 Dacs still preferred by many for that fact (proper design).
In the design the data words are fed to a 1-bit DAC, with the 16-bit error fed back in a noise-shaping loop.Unlike multibit systems, this design was inherently linear and being monotonic over the entire range.

The chip stopped ,even now all over people are searching this nice sounding chip .

Hi Dr Bass

The Esoteric transport/dac combo technical specs is really good. But when you compare it to the Zanden combo, the Zanden sounds very different. The Esoteric has way better bass and dynamics but there is something magical about Zanden. I guess thats what unleash_me probably meant by musical.

Hello Prem,
I definitely understand what most of us mean by "musical". All I was trying to explain was something that sounds less musical cannot be more accurate.
As you have explained that the Esoteric combo has better bass and dynamics but the Zanden sounds special. To me Zanden more accurate as well.
The Esoteric may be more accurate in some areas, say bass, but it also loses out on some very important front to the Zanden which is why the Zanden sounds special. Ultimately our reference is a real instrument and which ever sounds closer to a real instrument is obviously more accurate.

Assuming that sound has been faithfully captured during the recording process there is no gear ever produced which can simulate the sounds of all the instruments invented till date so you have to choose gears which suits the music you listen to. One may like an Esoteric over Zanden for the very same reason.

Hi,
This pc sound card concept sounds very interesting. Is Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Sound Card being referred for two channel audio. I have this pc very near to my stereo set up. If I want to add this sound card how do I know if the current mother board supports it? MY pc is around 4 year old.
Thanks.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back