Why God, Why?

Hi,

I will not say anything in this much said thread :D !!

Buddy if you decide not to venture into this then can you please let me know the prices and place where you got the offer from,Am seriously looking for a CDP and would love to checkout especially the Sony !!

Regards.

Sure, will let you know in due time :) While we are at it, is there a particular budget you might be looking at? The ones discussed here could be slightly expensive than the mass market crop.

Hi Unleash_Me

I would suggest go with the Marantz CD7. Its extremely musical. Also its very well built and reliable. Write to Marantz and check just in case something goes wrong with the CD7, will they be able to provide spare parts? Some of the older cd players are way way better built then the newer ones and surprisingly they also sound better.

Thanks Prem. Even I'm leaning toward the CD7. Have heard it few times and yes, this is indeed a special player. Fell in love with it the first time I saw this beast. The expression 'built like a tank' falls short. I'll be checking with Marantz as you suggested.

Hi,

Sure, will let you know in due time While we are at it, is there a particular budget you might be looking at? The ones discussed here could be slightly expensive than the mass market crop.

Unleash thanks for the reply :) !

Well although I don't have a specific budget allocated and Am not really looking hard for players, I would be ready to spend some if its really worth it (then again what that means to me may not be the same to you ) !!

I already Am using a Marantz CD63MkII,Am always on a lookout for a better source so as to grab one when it pops up !!

Had eyed the likes of TEAC VRDS and Philips CD PRO2 ,Had got one too (a Custom Built CD Pro2,Dinyaar would remember this as I had PM'd him on the same) but due to my friends communication error lost it,it was to be brought from the US !

Anways let me know the asking price,if I feel its fine by me then will take a call ;)!

Regards.

I agree on both points and that, ultimately, only the OP can decide. I am just trying to understand myself and help other see where the future lies. But, my friend, you must understand that CDPs are already out of the shelves. You will not find a CDP unless you go to a speciality audio shop. And many of us have already experienced the the look of utter surprise when we asked for a CDP from shop assistants. 'A CDP, what is that Sir?'

Cheers

DVD players/CDP are interchangeable in this arguement. So, I am not sure what your point here is.

As I said earlier, you are mixing up the market segments. DAC may become popular among the niche "audiophile". But mass market would continue to use ipod/clones for mp3 and if they want better quality would go for sub-100 USD players at least for the next 4-5 years. PC+DAC is too complicated for them. It does not take a genius to predict that CD sales will fall as it has been happening already due to mp3. But predicting PC+DAC will take over from CD/DVD players for an average consumer is hazardous.

I am still talking US. Not India where street side VCD's are good enough for mass market today.

Are older 1bit DAC(like in mar63?) are better than current 192/24bit used in CDP?
(So far I am happy with D2X/PC system.)

Thanks Prem. Even I'm leaning toward the CD7. Have heard it few times and yes, this is indeed a special player. Fell in love with it the first time I saw this beast. The expression 'built like a tank' falls short. I'll be checking with Marantz as you suggested.

hi unleash_me,

i tried to get hold of a cd7 about a year and a half back - did not succeed - after reading your post , i have sent out feelers again - marantz made only 750 of these, and it is difficult to get one - though all 750 should be in good condition!

I will give you some arguments:

1. A modern CDP such as the Marantz 6003 or the CA 740 would have far better electronics than a old CD Player. In addition their DAC would be more advanced and would have better specifications. The new 650C, for example, uses a dual differential WM8740 24bit/ 192kHzcapable DACs that very few CD players can claim to have. In my mind it does not make much sense to buy an old CD player.

2. R&D and progress, in the future, will be on DAC and computer based sources. With a dwindling market, even esoteric manufacturers will find it difficult to justify more investment on CD players. I believe we will start to see less of 'entry' level players such as the 650C with that level of sophistication.

3. A Rs.1500 LiteOn CD player/writer with EAC and a good sound card, will give you a source that is exceptionally close to what a good CD player can deliver. And this source is permanent and can be used 1000s of times with the same clarity.

4. Leading companies such as even Decca have started making available high quality files for downloading. The recording of 31se December 2009 Vienna Philamoniker was available on 1st morning on Apple iTunes.

5. Many artists are waking up to multi channel music and are insisting that their new music be recorded and made available as 5.1 audio.

6. There is stiff competition in DACs and companies have started bringing down the prices and introducing superb DACs at the 500 to 1000$ range.

Cheers

Hi Venkat, without any intention of sounding harsh, I would not agree with any of your view points.

To start with, you have pointed out the technological advances that has taken place in the last 20 years and hence you conclude that modern day CDPs are better. But unfortunately its not the case IMO. Most modern day technologies are being utilized to make cheaper CD players and not better Cd players. In fact technology is developed with the sole intention of cutting corners. I am talking about entry level Cd players and not the serious ones like the Wadias or Esoteric.
Gone are those days when CD transports were built like tanks and assembled within solid heavily isolated chasis structure so as to prevent the last ounce of vibrations to affect the process of digital data extraction. Those were the era when you heard terms like Stable platter (Pioneer), VRDS (TEAC), CDM Pro(Philips).
Those things have now been replaced with a flimsy DVD drive followed by some error correction mechanisms (technologically advanced) stuffed in some thin metal box. Where are the fundamentals ? When the foundation is so compromised, no amount of error correction can get back the integrity of the signal. It may rather do unpredictable things to music.
Thats the reason serious players of this domain still use the best possible CD transport mechanism and over engineer around them.

As far DAC is concerned, again there is a lot of tech talk regarding specs and ratings. 192khz, 24 bit, 110db SNR etc etc...does any of these guarantee better musicality ?? Can you buy a CDP solely based on these specs ?
Unfortunately, I am yet to hear a 24 bit, 192khz oversampled DAC that does not sound analytical:rolleyes:. I dont say its wrong to up/over sample but its the implementation that matters rather than just the DAC chip.
The DACS in the yesteryear's CDPs were very well implemented in general with dedicated power supplies, high quality components, well isolated thoughtful and elaborate circuitry, they did not rely on oversampling to get more detail, rather they tried best not to lose anything from what is coming in. The DAC implementation of a Marantz CD94 (built in mid 80s) would kill any DAC under $1000 manufactured today. These machines were legends not by chance.

Even otherwise, buying a DAC for $1000 doesnt mean you are all set, you need to spend at least another $500 on a good transport to justify the output of your $1000 dac purchase. Add another $100-200 on a good digital cable and if you are serious you also need two decent power cords...where are you heading sir ? You are close to $2000 and for that price you are better off buying a one box CDP. That will yield better sound quality and relatively easy to buy and sell.

I agree that there some high definition music files on the net but they are very limited in number and choice and they are not available free. It is still a good 5 years before we can see this format mature and abundantly available for affordable price.

The CDPs that Unleash is considering are superb machines, just that they are old but I am sure he would still get a good 5 years of service from them (if it is well maintained) and may be even more. Anyway a NAD or a CA CDP doesnt last for more than 5-6 years of regular use, for the same money why not buy something 20 times better.

Bottom line !!! There is no replacement for an high quality CD player even today if you are looking for high quality music reproduction. I would not waste my precious time listening to some ripped flac file off a flimsy DVD drive if I have a top quality CDP lying besides it. Its about priority. Convenience Vs Quality !!

Hi Venkat, without any intention of sounding harsh, I would not agree with any of your view points.

As long as we have healthy discussion on these points I have no issues. At the same time, I am not going to let go so easily. :) This discussion started with the need to decide between CD (analogue) vs PC (Digital). We seem to have veered off into discussing old CD drives vs new CD drives. In any case, let me try to bring some semblance of order into the discussion.

To start with, you have pointed out the technological advances that has taken place in the last 20 years and hence you conclude that modern day CDPs are better. But unfortunately its not the case IMO. Most modern day technologies are being utilized to make cheaper CD players and not better Cd players. In fact technology is developed with the sole intention of cutting corners. I am talking about entry level Cd players and not the serious ones like the Wadias or Esoteric.

Gone are those days when CD transports were built like tanks and assembled within solid heavily isolated chasis structure so as to prevent the last ounce of vibrations to affect the process of digital data extraction. Those were the era when you heard terms like Stable platter (Pioneer), VRDS (TEAC), CDM Pro(Philips).

Those things have now been replaced with a flimsy DVD drive followed by some error correction mechanisms (technologically advanced) stuffed in some thin metal box. Where are the fundamentals ? When the foundation is so compromised, no amount of error correction can get back the integrity of the signal. It may rather do unpredictable things to music. Thats the reason serious players of this domain still use the best possible CD transport mechanism and over engineer around them.

Let us stick to CD players and to some semblance of budget limitations. If any of us can afford a Wadia or Esoteric, we would not be a member here and discussing all these points. A budget player such as those made by NAD, Marantz, CA, or Emotiva have been praised many times and I fail to understand how so many reviewers can praise something that has fundamental flaws. If you want to move up the ladder, Cyrus has walked away with so many awards. They have re-designed the player from ground up including developing a completely new transport mechanism. So have Emotiva.

Listen to what Rich Schmidt of Secrets has to say about the Emotiva CD Player - 'The sound from the ERC-1 compares very well with high end CD players, even those that cost an order of magnitude more, it has a plethora of outputs including balanced, a fabulous remote, it looks great on the shelf, clearly designed by some people who care about what they are doing... highly recommended.

All the time I had the ERC-1, I kept thinking of that intergalactic invading army, seeking revenge on planet Earth in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, "Due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was swallowed by a small dog." Either Emotiva has miscalculated how much they could charge for a CD player this good or all the other hifi manufactures have miscalculated how much they should charge. Dont get me started - too late... the remote control for my preamp costs the same as this CD Player (which has an excellent remote of its own!). I could go on but you know all too well how much this stuff costs.

And I have to think that Emotiva keeps costs down in part because they keep costs down, that is, they aim for a low price and work to achieve it. Obviously that is not the norm in high end audio gear.'

One of the greatest advantages of going digital is that all these issues of stability and such do not exist at all up to the source stage. Because analogue systems introduced errors that were difficult to differentiate from valid signal, designers were forced to follow expensive methods of reduce errors in all stages. You literally had to hold your breadth and pray to god the signal comes out clean. As many stages as you introduced in the delivery and amplification cycle, that many degradation in signals did you introduce.

A digital system, on the other hand, is much cleaner. The quality of digital transmission is independent of the medium. Wow, flutter, particulate noise, print-through, dropouts, modulation noise, HF squashing, azimuth error, and inter-channel phase errors are all gone. Any error at any stage can be corrected by error checking and correction. The new USB medium has two way communication. The receiving station can actually do a checksum error and instruct the source to resend the data. All this is easier and faster to do on a disk based system rather than a CD based system. Though you can do it on a CD based system, you have build large buffers in the player to avoid re-read. In a PC based system, even if needed, re-read are faster. If you have 4 GB RAM, you can store a complete song in a buffer and resend it as many times as needed. Gone are your shakes and need for stability.

As far DAC is concerned, again there is a lot of tech talk regarding specs and ratings. 192khz, 24 bit, 110db SNR etc etc...does any of these guarantee better musicality ?? Can you buy a CDP solely based on these specs ? Unfortunately, I am yet to hear a 24 bit, 192khz oversampled DAC that does not sound analytical:rolleyes:. I dont say its wrong to up/over sample but its the implementation that matters rather than just the DAC chip. The DACS in the yesteryear's CDPs were very well implemented in general with dedicated power supplies, high quality components, well isolated thoughtful and elaborate circuitry, they did not rely on oversampling to get more detail, rather they tried best not to lose anything from what is coming in. The DAC implementation of a Marantz CD94 (built in mid 80s) would kill any DAC under $1000 manufactured today. These machines were legends not by chance.

'Musicality' is subjective, and what you like is your choice. But in DAC, since it is digital, measurements are easy to make and is not subjective. Twenty years ago getting a SNR of over 100dB was impossible or very expensive. Today a 200$ unit can do that with ease.

Once you get data out of the DAC with specifications as close to what you set as desirable, you then tweak around it to give it the 'musicality' you desire. But that does not alter the fact that the specifications of modern DAC have improved and that their prices have gone down.

If you read my extract of John Atkinson's review of the Asus Xonar XT, you will understand he was forced to compare the 200$ card with a Ayre DAC costing 2500$. Even at that level of comparison, all he could say was that the Ayre DAC had more 'there' there. The conclusion was very subjective as John could hardly find any clearly perceptible difference between the two.

Even otherwise, buying a DAC for $1000 doesnt mean you are all set, you need to spend at least another $500 on a good transport to justify the output of your $1000 dac purchase. Add another $100-200 on a good digital cable and if you are serious you also need two decent power cords...where are you heading sir ? You are close to $2000 and for that price you are better off buying a one box CDP. That will yield better sound quality and relatively easy to buy and sell.

Cables interconnects, etc are common to both digital and analogue system, so let us leave them out. Using your argument, you cannot connect a Marantz CD 94 to a pre/amp using cheap cables and hope to get good music.

In terms of transports, with a digital system, you do not need any transport at all. Everything is on your hard disk.

And in terms of costs, if you calculate in terms of storing and playing one song, a digital transport and delivery mechanism will be far far cheaper. A well built HTPC can deliver songs to you at less than 50 paise a song. As you play the songs more, these costs will only go down. And, irrespective of how many times you play it. the quality will be the same. You cannot say that of TT or even CDPs.

I agree that there some high definition music files on the net but they are very limited in number and choice and they are not available free. It is still a good 5 years before we can see this format mature and abundantly available for affordable price.

The CDPs that Unleash is considering are superb machines, just that they are old but I am sure he would still get a good 5 years of service from them (if it is well maintained) and may be even more. Anyway a NAD or a CA CDP doesnt last for more than 5-6 years of regular use, for the same money why not buy something 20 times better.

Bottom line !!! There is no replacement for an high quality CD player even today if you are looking for high quality music reproduction. I would not waste my precious time listening to some ripped flac file off a flimsy DVD drive if I have a top quality CDP lying besides it. Its about priority. Convenience Vs Quality !!

I am not sure where you are searching, but I have been able to find literally every album I can think of on the Net. And, why should it be free? Are your CDs free?

We are also not talking about playing some 'ripped files off a flimsy DVD drive'. We are talking about properly digitised music files off a well constructed HTPC. The format is unimportant.

And, I am not talking about NOT using a CD Player if you already have one. In that case, of course, it does not make sense to build a digital system. But if you have to decide between building a digital system, and buying a CDP, then the points raised in this thread make sense enough to consider

Cheers

Last edited:
If any of us can afford a Wadia or Esoteric, we would not be a member here and discussing all these points.

Are you sure about that Venkat?!

With so much analysis on electronics, this thread is going nowhere!
I think if you like that CD player, you must buy it!

Sounds like a plan. But like Venkat mentioned, healthy debates and discussions are always welcome and mostly educational. Unfortunately, often the flow takes that ugly turn where flexing technical muscles to showoff whoz is the biggest intellect is when the interest level goes down. Wonder what happened to the good old KISS principle.

buy it man!

if you DO buy it, what is the worst regret that you'll have? Oh I spent "X" amount of money, and I needn't have. If you feel that strongly even after a substantial period of time, then sell the CD7 to Suri :)

if you DON't buy it, the regret will be an intractable one......damn, i let that thing go, and now i don't know if i'll find another one, and when and for what price.

So just go for it!

moderntimes.jpg

Hi,

Unfortunately, often the flow takes that ugly turn where flexing technical muscles to showoff whoz is the biggest intellect is when the interest level goes down. Wonder what happened to the good old KISS principle.

Thats the precise reason for me not commenting a single word on this ;) !!! Else would've,could've and probably should've done it :D !

If you feel that strongly even after a substantial period of time, then sell the CD7 to Suri

Hey Hey no cheating :eek:hyeah: Am first in the line for it, should he decide to let go !!

Regards.

As far DAC is concerned, again there is a lot of tech talk regarding specs and ratings. 192khz, 24 bit, 110db SNR etc etc...does any of these guarantee better musicality ?? Can you buy a CDP solely based on these specs ?
Unfortunately, I am yet to hear a 24 bit, 192khz oversampled DAC that does not sound analytical:rolleyes:. I dont say its wrong to up/over sample but its the implementation that matters rather than just the DAC chip.

Mouse: "Squeak!" Can I veer the topic a little more? :)

So is the Xonar Essence STX or D2X musical in any sense? Or is it dry and analytical. Like I suspected and mildly anticipated and now Dr. Bass has made me even more suspicious.

I would like an answer from a user of the Xonar has listened closely to a CDP known to be musical or vice versa.

On second thoughts, It may not be completely OT since this will help the OP decide if he wants to spend on the CDP or not ... and I plan on doing the exact reverse of the OP very soon - move from CDP to HDD based setup :lol:

Thanks.

PS: The debate seems to be fueled largely around missing context more than anything else. :lol:

Regards

Mouse: "Squeak!" Can I veer the topic a little more? :)

So is the Xonar Essence STX or D2X musical in any sense? Or is it dry and analytical. Like I suspected and mildly anticipated and now Dr. Bass has made me even more suspicious.

I would like an answer from a user of the Xonar has listened closely to a CDP known to be musical or vice versa.

On second thoughts, It may not be completely OT since this will help the OP decide if he wants to spend on the CDP or not ... and I plan on doing the exact reverse of the OP very soon - move from CDP to HDD based setup :lol:

Thanks.

PS: The debate seems to be fueled largely around missing context more than anything else. :lol:

Regards

Actually I have heard quite a few CD players and none of them came across as very clearly superior to the Xonar D2X based setup that I have. I am talking Arcam, Music Hall, Marantz and Denon CD players. I do not recall exact models but I do know that I have heard and compared many of these over the past few years and found the PC solution with the sound card to be equally good if not better.

@Thevortex- Which SW you use to play song?Foobar OR XMplay?why?

Foobar with ASIO4ALL and the Sox resampler is what gets used most often. Occasionally cPlay when I am wanting to get the utmost out of the listening material and when I am in the mood to do some 'critical listening' - whatever that means :).

xmplay does not get used too often in my main media rig. I use it on my desktop and laptop as it is very cheap on resources. It simply flies and still packs quite a lot of functionality in it.

Personally though, when AIMP2 comes up with an ASIO plugin or native ASIO functionality, I anticipate myself moving to that player. It is amazing - in terms of usability and interface. All subjective, it goes without saying. :)

In my opinion, a lot of people tend to summarily dismiss the PC as a solution anywhere near their media rooms. Understandably so - given the clunkiness and the constant meddling that PCs seem to demand from its users. But times are 'a changin' and with that PCs have too. From being all rounders, they have morphed to become specialists in various fields.

A Music PC can be configured without much trouble to not just match but overwhelm most CD players out there. And lest this be considered empty chatter, I encourage people to visit cplay.sourceforge.net. It is a veritable treasure-trove of information on using a PC as the transport and how it could work out much superior to many CD players out there.

Psychotropic - I dont know if there are many out there who would prefer to listen by albums like you. I love to mix and match and be in control of the whole 'next track' thing. Maybe in my next life I would become a DJ (shudder!). That way, the PC is the only thing that slakes my thirst. But I understand it is different strokes for different folks.

Are you sure about that Venkat?!
Well, if I could afford a Wadia, I would be referring to Stereophile or some such esoteric magazine and taking my cues from there. Or I will hire a expensive consultant to put together stuff for me. In most probability, I will not even have the time nor inclination to surf this site.

Sounds like a plan. But like Venkat mentioned, healthy debates and discussions are always welcome and mostly educational. Unfortunately, often the flow takes that ugly turn where flexing technical muscles to showoff whoz is the biggest intellect is when the interest level goes down. Wonder what happened to the good old KISS principle.

If people dislike gaining knowledge, learning, or making decisions based on a few discussions, there is hardly anything that anyone can do about that. As Cranky is fond of saying, I am out of here.

Cheers

Last edited:
Actually I have heard quite a few CD players and none of them came across as very clearly superior to the Xonar D2X based setup that I have. I am talking Arcam, Music Hall, Marantz and Denon CD players. I do not recall exact models but I do know that I have heard and compared many of these over the past few years and found the PC solution with the sound card to be equally good if not better.

Hi Vortex

I do not doubt that with respect to frequency balance and extension and reproduction etc. My concern is Musicality. Have you done A/B comparison of Xonar with a CDP known for it? For example the Marantz CD6002 is musical compared to CA 640V2 which is more sterile and I can vouch for it having heard both. Yes the CA is better in timing and separation but is thinner sounding. And the Marantz sound has a more rounder body heft and weight, besides musicality - in an A/B comparison with and without a tube preamp I found little difference in the tonality of Marantz<>SS pair and the Marantz<>Tube<>SS setup, except for the way the tubes flesh out the sound and 3-dimensionality. I also recently found a post somewhere in which someone modded the Cd67 to add a more expensive clock and the sound came out sterile compared to earlier. All other improvements were there like detail timing and separation but musicality took a hit!!

Likewise my concern is that while one can write paragraphs about the other superior qualities I see few references to these cards being praised for their Musicality and ability to portray Intimacy for example!!

Hence I am keen on the feedback on these qualities.

TIA
Regards

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back