Why people like tube gear-interesting thread

Hi Unleash-Me,

Yes.

Since then I have changed the crossover Caps, and done some tube rolling which has improved(I think) the system since the time Bala and S.R.Ramanujam heard it.

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

what tube rolling have you done? in the SET amp? do post details. i have found that our tastes match very closely and i have you to thank for getting onto the garrard and telefunkens so wondering what new tubes you've got other than the national union and rca 45s.

regards

Raghu told me your setup is amazing now. I should come visit you sometime and see how it goes.

And when are you going to move to a HDD based system?

Hi Bala,

You can drop by anytime,just give me a call.I should hopefully not be travelling till after Pongal.

Raghu(Decibel Audio) dropped by a few days ago.He has heard the system before,but he feels that the system after the changes sounds very good and I would be foolish to tweek/try any changes to the present set up.

I am still not fully convinced about a HDD system,and have not had time to seriously audition DAC's or CD players also.Hopefully 2010 will see me finalise my Digtal front end.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
hi rajiv,

what tube rolling have you done? in the SET amp? do post details. i have found that our tastes match very closely and i have you to thank for getting onto the garrard and telefunkens so wondering what new tubes you've got other than the national union and rca 45s.

Hi Steven,

Nothing much,I changed the rectifier in the Phono stage to a Mullard GZ34.

The input valve in the Phono stage is the Tele Ecc83,followed by the Siemens triple mica 5751.This change locked the whole system together.

The SET amp is running the RCA 45's and the rectifier is a fat base Mullard GZ34.

I actually put in a 5U4G rectifier in the SET amp,initial listening impressions are very favourable,but I took it out after only one side of an LP because the filament transformers in the SET amp are not specd to supply the 3amp current for the 5U4G heater.

Regards
Rajiv

That is fantastic pricing for a SET amp..If only a SET wouldn't weigh so much I would have bought a lyrita by now..I will get in touch with Viren about the headphone amp though, hopefully it is lighter comparatively :rolleyes: .

The stacker2 is reputed to have a very SET like sound sans the big expensive iron. Its, funny i find a pair of 10$ tubes to sound better than the pair I paid 80 for..strange this hobby..but soo much fun :eek:hyeah:
But yes, I do love tubes and don't see me going back to anything else unless and until the revelation is like my jump from sand to tubes+sand .

i hav this friend who used to be in Radio, heading a station. owing to this he had first hand impressions of a lot of good singers live singing voices like KK, Kailash Kher, etc. i took him to one of the sessions at Viren's place. to say the least, he was mesmerised. is hooked.

such is the effect of these beauties.

Hi,

Is there anything more affordable? Suprateep was praising the Miniwatt tube amp a lot(costing rs 12000). has anyone other than him heard it?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back