Why REL t9i, why not Definitive Technology Supercube 4000??....Please help me to decide....

The REl t9i is a good sub but the KEF's R400B is also a very musical sub. with its dual opposed 9" drivers, it will be very tight and clean. Its MRP or Rs.1.15k is very reasonable considering the international price.
However, if you also watch movies then you have a wide collection of other brands to look at too.

The REl t9i is a good sub but the KEF's R400B is also a very musical sub. with its dual opposed 9" drivers, it will be very tight and clean. Its MRP or Rs.1.15k is very reasonable considering the international price.
However, if you also watch movies then you have a wide collection of other brands to look at too.
Are the KEFs better or comparable to the RELs as per your experience?

Last edited:
But these are not technically bookshelf speakers
Let's call them standmounts ;)
REL subs, if connected via recommended high level speakon, enable the mains to equally receive the same full range signal without any limitation. So, we get the natural bass extension of the mains + REL's support to uplift the low end but not overpowering it.

If one can take measurement, I suspect REL subwoofers optimally work in the mid bass and upper bass frequencies, 60hz to 250hz. Has anyone tried adding a 15inch low distortion sub equiped with high power amp? Along with a REL, just to cover the lowest 20hz - 50hz? We will see interesting results.

Are the KEFs better or comparable to the RELs as per your experience?
The KEF subs are not very famous because their prices are much higher in US compared to ID brand subs, however, its not the case in India. Thr R400b retails for USD1700, for which they can get a Rythmik FV18, which will destroy the KEF, but when it comes to India, we can only get a Rythmik LVX12F for the price of KEF R400B. So that totally changes the definition of which has better price to performance in India.
To answer your question; Yes the KEF R400B is a very good sub for music and is comparable to the equally priced Rel subs.

The KEF subs are not very famous because their prices are much higher in US compared to ID brand subs, however, its not the case in India. Thr R400b retails for USD1700, for which they can get a Rythmik FV18, which will destroy the KEF, but when it comes to India, we can only get a Rythmik LVX12F for the price of KEF R400B. So that totally changes the definition of which has better price to performance in India.
Hmmmm... Its not an unreasonable presumption to make.

From what Sean from Zerofidelity says, the market leverages itself really well so it'd be reasonable to expect it to perform as well as other similarly priced subs :)

From what Sean from Zerofidelity says, the market leverages itself really well so it'd be reasonable to expect it to perform as well as other similarly priced subs :)
Hmmm... not an unreasonable assumption to make... :)
However, the market (subwoofers in India) may not have the size and numbers for it to have reached the desired state yet... "Purchasing power (dis)parity" and "ease of purchase" should play a major role here.

A little against the tide would be an old Wharfedale sw 150

It's ported...but supposed to be good for music..

REL is not the only option...SVS SB 1000 can be looked at too..or Sunfire

Don't overlook JL Audio.. I think there is a Chennai/ Cbe distributor..

Generally a sealed sub does better for music

To answer your question; Yes the KEF R400B is a very good sub for music and is comparable to the equally priced Rel subs.
I've heard that R400B sounds quite good and matches with R300s.
I had pinged for this but it was out of stock as the line was discontinued.
Price wise it is similar to REL T9i. But try before buy, specially this config.
Opposing drivers seemed to work best when placed between speakers.
Firing perpendicular to mains driver plane. This placement may not be practical in a living room.
I had used an older similar config Onkyo in the expt.

The MRP of T9i has gone up from 99K to 109K :( Corona supply chain disruption, maybe?
But it is still sanely priced in Indian market (on par with US/UK MRP, almost).
Weirdly REL HT series is marked up quite a bit.

Cheers,
Raghu

I've heard that R400B sounds quite good and matches with R300s.
I had pinged for this but it was out of stock as the line was discontinued.
Price wise it is similar to REL T9i. But try before buy, specially this config.
Opposing drivers seemed to work best when placed between speakers.
Firing perpendicular to mains driver plane. This placement may not be practical in a living room.
I had used an older similar config Onkyo in the expt.

The MRP of T9i has gone up from 99K to 109K :( Corona supply chain disruption, maybe?
But it is still sanely priced in Indian market (on par with US/UK MRP, almost).
Weirdly REL HT series is marked up quite a bit.

Cheers,
Raghu
While shopping for the REL T9i, i was also given the option for the HT1208 for the exact same asking price as the T9i o_O

Choosing between them was a complete no brainer!

Also, prices of all products have gone up across the board. Earlier today, I was informed that the MRP of the Planar 1 is going to be increased by 5K.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back