Why Single ended

Rajiv

Hi,

Interesting discussion on AA on why some prefer SET amps.

SET Asylum

Paul Joppa put it best ....." But I want my system to help communicate the musical emotion from the composer and performer to my head. And feet! SETs still do that better than anything else."

Regards
Rajiv

very true. and i think more guys here on the forum itself are discovering the power of SET amps.

Someday I wish I could experience the pleasures of push pull valve amplifiers too to compare and contrast. Right now, I can only compare my SET experience (that too only 2A3 based) with solid state amplifiers.

Someday I wish I could experience the pleasures of push pull valve amplifiers too to compare and contrast. Right now, I can only compare my SET experience (that too only 2A3 based) with solid state amplifiers.

After liking the 2A3's, I guess you may not like the push-pull.:cool:

I would like to keep my mind open on this regard and listen to a push pull valve amplifier afresh - if such an opportunity presents itself.

After reading many reviews over the last year, I suspect that PPs may sound more energetic and alive with a sense of momentum about their sound.

<Adding ghee to the fire> ... :D

Cheers

After reading many reviews over the last year, I suspect that PPs may sound more energetic and alive with a sense of momentum about their sound.

<Adding ghee to the fire> ... :D

Cheers

That is true Gobble but then in that process the additinal thrust it gives, you'll lose out in the harmonics.

If you take away life from the music you get a SS!

HAHAHA
U are so totally over that poor old bryston u inherited :D
Anyway am glad u are happy with the swap.

I personally would not agree with the above statement. But as we all know its all a personal preference. Just a few days ago I was introduced to a guy who has an ESOTERIC X01/ACCUPHASE Pre power (class A/B) and B&W 803D and i thought the set up was tremendous. A well balanced and well set up system built around an SS amp can do a lot for you too.
Rgds

Last edited:
Yes Dinyaar I really wanted to keep it and tried hard with so many different permutations and combinations fortunately the 2A3's bested it for me. But then in the process I meet a whole lot of wonderful people...

That is true Gobble but then in that process the additinal thrust it gives, you'll lose out in the harmonics.

Well its not the case that a PP will make the music "Besoor" due to some low volume 3rd order harmonics. Speed, attack and liveliness are more important than syrupy sweet but sluggish sound.

<More ghee ....> :)

Well its not the case that a PP will make the music "Besoor" due to some low volume 3rd order harmonics. Speed, attack and liveliness are more important than syrupy sweet but sluggish sound.

This is what happened to me, the 2A3's will involve (compelled) you into the music and you will forget these terms...;)

Gobble, I know you did not have a great positive experience with SET amps. But really, I think it is about system matching more than anything else. And I can assure you that SET amps are anything but sluggish or slow.

Have you gone and listened to some other SET system and did you still arrive at the same conclusions? Just curious.

Gobble, I know you did not have a great positive experience with SET amps. But really, I think it is about system matching more than anything else. And I can assure you that SET amps are anything but sluggish or slow.

Have you gone and listened to some other SET system and did you still arrive at the same conclusions? Just curious.

I have no conclusions yet, just a list of things to call out and watch for when evaluating SETs vs PP. And I did hear Stevie's system once ... :eek:hyeah:

The intent of my posts was only to prepare the ground for a fiery debate ... by adding a few spoonfuls of of ghee ... :lol:

cheers

sluggish? how dare you sir! a glove slap and i challenge you to a duel!

though seriously you might hear the relatively lesser control over the bass. sluggish? ummmm am surprised that you heard that. the preamp that you tried out was that but am sure that was more cos of the output voltage mismatch with your power amp section which you didnt have a chance/didnt dare fiddle around to rectify.

vortex the number of people discovering and switching over to SET amps speaks for itself. if one does a poll of which amplifier people own on the forum you'll see just how many of viren's SET amps are in circulation ;)

there's olive oil to yer ghee gobble! (am health conscious hence the olive oil.)

edit for typo

Last edited:
SET designs if done right are fast, musical and vibrant.

Gobble, IMHO you need to look at a complete design (tubes) for your speakers. An integrated or a pre/power. All tubes. You will be surprised what your single driver speaker can do.
It is criminal to use those speakers with a nad amp.
Low level micro dynamics and vibrancy is never a Nad's forte. If you have a speaker which needs only a few watts to perform, you should be looking at high quality / low power designs. It is a different world.

When auditioning the amps, you need to setup your speakers with some 3 odd feet space behind and at the sides of your speakers. Your current setup can give you confusing results. I am assuming you have it setup the way I saw tham last time I had visited.

Last edited:
square buddy why weren't you there on sunday? would have been nice to catch up after.... well its been years now!

square buddy why weren't you there on sunday? would have been nice to catch up after.... well its been years now!

Yes Stevie, it has been a long time. We need to catch up.

I had ran into the HFV Bangalore meet thread last week and was planning to follow up by the weekend. One of my folks met with an accident and I got into one of those loops and the meeting completely missed my mind. I am sure you guys had a good time. Knowing George, I am sure you were all entertained well.

ah sorry to hear. hope all is well now. saw your post on the meet thread just after i posted. next meet then... :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back