widescreen broadcasting for tata sky?

It depends on the channel not the broadcaster. Deutsche Welle (DWtv) so far is the only one to adopt this format but it is only for some of the programs not all. So you will see it switch between 16:9 and 4:3 through the day.

Since the HD standard is natively widescreen perhaps we will not see widespread adoption until it arrives.

I am not sure but are the IPL matches broadcasted in widescreen format?

that's what i thought i did notice the intial 2 minutes of a particular ipl match was in widescreen i was wondering if any of these cable providers could manage to get some of these tv channels to provide 4:3 as well as 16:9 broadcasting .

As particleman said, it depends on the broadcaster, not the service provider.

I am using TATA SKY but dont have a widescreen LCD TV. I will ask one of my friends to check out and will post about it.

Any members who has a widescreen and digitcal cable or DTH connection can confirm

As particleman said, it depends on the broadcaster, not the service provider.

I am using TATA SKY but dont have a widescreen LCD TV. I will ask one of my friends to check out and will post about it.

Any members who has a widescreen and digitcal cable or DTH connection can confirm

You don't need a widescreen display to test it. I don't have one either. Do you receive DWtv (http://www.deutsche-welle.com/)? I don't have Tata Sky (we have InDigital here in Mumbai) but in the set-top box configuration you can set the aspect ratio options (I have selected 4:3 letterbox). When you switch to DW, you see the full uncropped picture for a second before it re-adjusts and zooms out to the cropped image -- this is an indication that you're watching a true widescreen (and not letterboxed like BBC, etc.) channel. If you select 16:9 you'll see a horizontally compressed image.

You don't need a widescreen display to test it. I don't have one either. Do you receive DWtv (http://www.deutsche-welle.com/)? I don't have Tata Sky (we have InDigital here in Mumbai) but in the set-top box configuration you can set the aspect ratio options (I have selected 4:3 letterbox). When you switch to DW, you see the full uncropped picture for a second before it re-adjusts and zooms out to the cropped image -- this is an indication that you're watching a true widescreen (and not letterboxed like BBC, etc.) channel. If you select 16:9 you'll see a horizontally compressed image.

Hi
I am also from Mumbai and had INDIGITAL before i switched to TATA SKY. I am sure my INDIGITAL STB did not have that option. Infact i had a doubt that they have given me a very old model. It did have S video out which even the TATA SKY STB does not have. I have to check if TATA SKY box has aspect ratio option.
Infact i was discussing yesterday only with my bro that it would be so good if these STB have aspect ratio options like a DVD
:rolleyes:

Hi
I don??t have so much idea regarding this subject. Just I suggest you to take steps accordingly.

even if you select the wide screen option , nothing changes, most of the content is in 4:3 format and not in wide screen, only few movie channels and other channels are there in wide screen, rest all are letterbox format

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back