wifi-n xtreamer.. just a marketing gimmick....

theironhorse

here comes the ugly truth....

looks like wifi-n of the xtreamer is just a gimmick..

they advertise it like 300mbps.. now the things is.. after upgrading router and wifi card on desktop to 300mbps... it looks like the xtreamer wifi so called 300mbps is just capable of streaming to 10mbps..... wow what a waste of money.. tramsfer rate of just 1.2 MBPS.. i was able to do this with my old 54g router as well...

i even posted the same query on the xtreamer forum. .looks like mods dint like it.. they dint approve the post and apparantely deleted it and i posted again and the same..

i even emailed xtreamer email support and the funny part is they are giving me solution like ..

place the router at better place and etc etc...

then what's the point of wifi-n. just agimmick.. you can achieve 10mbps with even a 7 year old class - b router.

attached here is the pic from the xtreamer website with a so called condition apply.. my bad part is i din't check it before buying the wifi-n antenna.. else for the same money i spent i would have bought a wifi-n router and added lan from it to the xtreamer...

if they would not have bottlenecked the wifi card it would have adapted mimo and run on 150mbps rx and tx and taking over head it would have been able to reach atleast 13-14MPBS on streaming and tranfer....

atleast 10MBPS.. but it shows the amazing wow effect speed of 1.2 MBPS that too with all settings favourable and good...

Last edited:
What speed did you get with your old 54g router and wifi card ?. You must have got atleast a speed of 6 MB/s (56kbps/8= 7MB/s is max speed) right ?. If you were getting only 1.2 MB/s in a 54g router, didnt you suspect the advertisement of the xtreamer player ??

Last edited:
.. i was so blid running on a upgrade bug that i missed the conditions apply..

wifi is not two way process.. 54mbps is one way so practically the throughput it 27mbps.. now divide that with 8 plus 1% over head plus 1% distortion..

you can get max is 3MBPS on a 54mbps router....

so ideally with 300mbps it will run on 150mbps and divide that by 8 bit + 1bit + 1 bit ( bit + distortion + over head ) you get 15MBPS.. practically i will run at 12-13 MBPS..

but 1.2 is pathetic. .coz the xtreamer wifi -n has been locked at 10mbps so the max you can juice out it is 1.1-1.2 MBPS.. that like just to stream a 700 mb dvd rip and mp3 songs.. nutin beyond that...

ironhorse, from my home setup I have found similar poor reception / throughput on wifi N (2.4 / 5 GHz) but however I have also realized that receiver end wifi capability if improved that improves the throughput to a large extent. An example is that I had WMP600N dual band pci wifi card in one of the desktops and instead if you put a cheap USB connected adapter with a pigtail extension wire so that you move it around then it gives much better reception even far away.

So on similar lines is there a capability to use a thrid party dongle?

i definitely agree to your statement.. but my point here is they sell it naming 300mbps widfi capable dongle.. but its bottlenecked at 10mbps...

so ideally its cheating the customers.. spending 1500 rs..

Sorry to hear your experience with the Xtreamer Wifi antenna. I have already sailed in the same boat long time back so I can really understand your frustration.
To my surprise I was able to wirelessly watch 720P or even 1080P movies onto my Xtreamer by using an Apple airport express as a Wireless Bridge connected to 5 Ghz Band of my linksys WRT610N Router whereas the Xtreamer's Antenna struggled to do the same on 2.4Ghz.
My suggestions to anybody who wants to stream Hi-Def Movies then he should always rely on a Cat 6 Wired Network rather than Wifi as 5 Ghz band has the capability to handle the Bandwidth required for even a Full Blu Ray playback but its hampered due to the poor range performance.

Most of the SoC's used in these media players are not capable of handling true Wireless-N speeds. The dongle may not be the bottleneck, but the SoC and the SW handling the transfer is most probably the culprit.

Yes, this is the usual cheap marketing gimmick Xtreamer is known for. For HD video streaming, it is best to use a wired LAN connection than a wireless connection. Trust me, the wireless connection speeds varies even with the time of the day due to varying temp, moisture content...

yup.. i have seen all those issue and have been using wifi since years...

i thought of lan.. but even on lan.. it shows 100mbps in specs.. it will never go beyond 20 mbps.. trust me.. its slow there as well...

guess the network connectivity hasn't been made for wifi-n yet

I thought of lan.. but even on lan.. it shows 100mbps in specs.. it will never go beyond 20 mbps.. trust me.. its slow there as well...

A 100mbit network is awfully inadequate for uncompressed BluRay quality 1080P Video (more so if HD audio is also streamed) but for 720P streaming with lossy audio codecs, I guess it is sufficient (at least theoretically if nothing else is hogging the pipe). You would really need a Gigabit network to stream Bluray quality 1080P AV content in all its glory which i guess only the newer platform media player supports.

true.. even if we take a specs of 100mbit and lan is rx and tx.. adding over head and distortion..

we should practically get atleast... 8-9MBPS.. but xtreamer is bottlenecked on lan as well.. the max you will be able to get is 3-4MBPS...

Hi,

I found below on XTreamer Support the following if it helps:

"SPEED FIX DRAFT N SPEED

Configure Router to this:
N-draft will not work unless you have WPA2 & AES set for security.
So use of any other security ( or none ) than this will prevent the N-draft mode.

This is the best security anyway on the router so you not losing out on anything.

I get from 54mpbs now 150mpbs"

the link : XTreamer Support System :: Installing Wifi Attena Windows 7/Vista

To get out of all of these headache I moved to wired LAN. Now I can see HD movies are shared from computer to xtreamer jitterfree.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back