will a class AB power amp work well with a pre for Master Audio and True HD

rkumarblr

Hi,

Will the older class AB amps work well to support the dynamic of Master Audio and Dolby True HD ?

I would like to know if a class AB multi channel power amp (example Sherbourn, Anthem or Parasound) will work well with a pre-processor that supports Master Audio and Dolby True HD (example Rotel RSP 1580 or RSP 1582)

Most of the power amps these days are Class D for reasons of efficiency.
Is the class D got anything to do with audio dynamic that comes the above audio formats.

The primary question is of ability to truly reproduce Master Audio and Dolby True HD with class AB
The secondary question of the matching between the above pre and power amps.

Thanks

Why not!
The power amp has nothing to do with audio formats. By the time the signal reaches power amp stage it has been decoded. Class AB is still very good though not at efficiency level of Class D. Reproducing dynamics depends on speakers to a large extant along with the ability of the amp to drive the speakers to full potential.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
From what little I know, Class D is relatively immune to speaker impedance dips. Hence, for some hard to drive speakers, a well designed Class D would do well. And it is very power efficient to boot. Crown XLS series for example.

However, all this is true only when you compare a well designed Class D with a well designed power supply with a relatively poorly designed Class AB with a weaker power supply.

Anthem, Parasound etc. do sufficient justice to the power supply, especially in their power amps. And the bandwidth they support and their other specs are equally good compared to Class D, and quite adequate for high res audio. I really don't think you should have an issue with a Class AB power amp.

If anything, more speakers are designed for Class AB type amps, and not Class D amps. This is why some people complain that they don't like Class D. So generally speaking, Class AB is safer, i.e. will produce better quality sound in most speakers.

Hi

Agree with the views above, Class AB should not be a challenge as most amps over the last decade or more were AB category....recently D category is being introduced and implemented.....

What should be the main concern is the type of speakers being used to deliver the optimal performance expected across all frequencies......(20hz - 20khz)

Thanks for the replies.
Yes by the time the signals reach the power amp its already decoded.
So the clarity I needed was of the circuit being able to handle the speed and the response time required for Master Audio and Dolby True HD.

I gather form the replies that, its not an issue with well designed power amps of class AB.

My speaker are Focal 726 towers.
They have a good spec at 91.5 db sensitivity, so easy to drive.
49 Hz to 28kHz
Recommended Amp for 40 to 250 W
So I suppose the AB will work great.

Thanks again for the replies.
My next area of research will be on how to match pre to power.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back