Will a Rega Brio work with active speakers?

deanashtonsfoot

I'm looking to upgrade my turntable and looking at the Rega Planar 3 with the Rega Brio. Long term, that will be my set up with passive speakers. However my speakers are currently the active Ruark MR1 Mk2. I can't afford to change my speakers as well just yet, so I'm wondering the Rega Brio will work ok with active speakers? Or am I effectively plugging am amp into an amp, which may mess things up? I'm quite new to all this, so any advice would be really useful. Thanks.

I'm looking to upgrade my turntable and looking at the Rega Planar 3 with the Rega Brio. Long term, that will be my set up with passive speakers. However my speakers are currently the active Ruark MR1 Mk2. I can't afford to change my speakers as well just yet, so I'm wondering the Rega Brio will work ok with active speakers? Or am I effectively plugging am amp into an amp, which may mess things up? I'm quite new to all this, so any advice would be really useful. Thanks.
Hi :)

Welcome to the forum. You can use the Rega brio with the Ruark MR1 MK2 speakers without any issues. You can plug it in as under mentioned :

1. Plug your TT into sockets numbered "1" on the Brio, which are its phono inputs.
2. Use RCA cables to take the output from sockets numbered "6" on the brio, which are its "record outputs" to feed the RCA inputs on the ruark's.

When using sockets number 6 outputs, the rega's inbuilt preamp and power amp will be bypassed. And its volume control will not work and you will have to use the volume control on the Ruark speakers.
And which ever source you select on the front, will be output to the Ruark's. If you select source "1" your phono stage will be output to the Ruark's. And if you plug in your dac to line level input2, then selecting that input will go to the Ruark's again bypassing the internal preamp and power amp circuitry, so its volume controls will not work.

Hi :)

Welcome to the forum. You can use the Rega brio with the Ruark MR1 MK2 speakers without any issues. You can plug it in as under mentioned :

1. Plug your TT into sockets numbered "1" on the Brio, which are its phono inputs.
2. Use RCA cables to take the output from sockets numbered "6" on the brio, which are its "record outputs" to feed the RCA inputs on the ruark's.

When using sockets number 6 outputs, the rega's inbuilt preamp and power amp will be bypassed. And its volume control will not work and you will have to use the volume control on the Ruark speakers.
And which ever source you select on the front, will be output to the Ruark's. If you select source "1" your phono stage will be output to the Ruark's. And if you plug in your dac to line level input2, then selecting that input will go to the Ruark's again bypassing the internal preamp and power amp circuitry, so its volume controls will not work.
Thank you very much for elaborating on this great way of connection. As I understand from what you have written any amp that has a "REC OUT" can be used to signal any other active speaker or another integrated amplifier. Please correct me if I have understood it wrong way.

Thank you very much for elaborating on this great way of connection. As I understand from what you have written any amp that has a "REC OUT" can be used to signal any other active speaker or another integrated amplifier. Please correct me if I have understood it wrong way.
Hi shammi ...you are welcome :)

Record output is a feature that was started a few decades ago. And was common on older gear, especially when FM tuners were among the main music sources. Whatever source was plugged into the line level inputs of the preamp or the integrated amp was output to the record outputs, without any changes made. And people used to plug in their cassette recorders or Reel-to-Reel recorders to record the music coming on FM radio, for their local playback later in the house.

As can be understood, record out will output whatever source is input, bypassing the preamp and power amplification stages. This is basically a duplication of the source signal, and can be used to daisy chain another amplifier or active speakers. Hope this explains :)

Hi shammi ...you are welcome :)

Record output is a feature that was started a few decades ago. And was common on older gear, especially when FM tuners were among the main music sources. Whatever source was plugged into the line level inputs of the preamp or the integrated amp was output to the record outputs, without any changes made. And people used to plug in their cassette recorders or Reel-to-Reel recorders to record the music coming on FM radio, for their local playback later in the house.

As can be understood, record out will output whatever source is input, bypassing the preamp and power amplification stages. This is basically a duplication of the source signal, and can be used to daisy chain another amplifier or active speakers. Hope this explains :)
Yes, well understood.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back