Will blu ray work on 1080i plasma TV ?

Since the Pioneer plasma TV cannot display 1080p will there be any image at all from a blu ray player output?

yes you can make the output froma BD player set to 720p if the TV is HD ready or feed the TV 1080p content - if its HD ready it will scale it to 720p

that depends, interlaced pictures are inferior to progressively scanned pictures, so i've seen many instances where 720p looks better than 1080i, but the reverse is also possible.

Why should it scale down to 720P when it can also display 1080I ? Assume 1080i is the better image quality.

Typically, LCDs (and should be the case with Plasmas too) have an optimum resolution and a maximum resolution. My Samsung HD-Ready LCD has these at 720p and 1080i respectively. In most cases, you will be getting the best display at optimum and NOT maximum resolution. Try out and decide for yourselves.

Typically, LCDs (and should be the case with Plasmas too) have an optimum resolution and a maximum resolution. My Samsung HD-Ready LCD has these at 720p and 1080i respectively. In most cases, you will be getting the best display at optimum and NOT maximum resolution. Try out and decide for yourselves.

Thanks ! Now I just got bowled by a new issue - 24fps - Since I have an older Pionneer plasma 1080i and not 1080p how will it handle the 24fps blu-ray output issue issue ? After reading various reviews I have decided to buy the Pioneer BDP51FD as it is ahead in CD+DVD audio conversion. Video is excellent in most BPPs.

I understand the 1080p/i conversion issue. It is a separate issue.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back