Will buying a CD player even make sense for my setup?

I am looking at the option of Blueray player bascially as a transport for more than 90% of their use. Even if they have stunning video quality it may not be of much use to me.

My suggestion if the model is only for analog and digital audio outs.

Check pioneer bdp 180 i am using it for movies and music it does the job
Yeah, already considered the Pioneer. Its similar to Sony S1500, either of them can fit the bill imo. Since i have already invested in a 4k TV couple of years ago, going for the x700 makes a little more sense, though i have no plans to watch movies at home.

Rikhav, isn’t TAD super expensive? I think it costs more than 15 lakhs

Hi prem
Yes, unfortunately it is and most of us can Only dream about it
But I mentioned about it because I feel CD player no way has lost any relevance
If you have say for example 2000 to 3000 odd CDs and don't bother much about latest music then the CDP is the right choice

Thanks for the link. Buying used could be tricky with the transport due to handling issues with the first owner. In my case too, if I am able to source a genuine transport then I can still continue using the Marantz for probably 10 more years Imo the Electronics in a cd player seldom fail as these are very low voltage/ current devices which are never driven beyond their limits. The only failing parts are the transport / laser.

If you are looking to Play Audio CDs, get an Audio CD Player. Nothing else comes close to its quality. After trying out a Philips Bluray, Sony Bluray player, Sony PS3, I have settled for a Marantz CD player. I am feeding its analog output to a NAD Stereo amp. Sounds Fantastic.

MaSh

I still can play through usb pen drive connected to my VU TV and connect to my optical out to the DAC. i like a more traditional method of playing CDs.
This sounded bad in my vutv.Pioneer bdp sounded better than tv transport.
Computer >soundcard digital out can be another good option.

This sounded bad in my vutv.Pioneer bdp sounded better than tv transport.
Computer >soundcard digital out can be another good option.
Mine sound better than my computer sound card though. I am using optical output from my TV connected to my DAC. When connecting my laptop, I pair it through hdmi to my TV & again to the same optical output to DAC. Due to this intermediate stage there is some loss.

After my research and deliberations, i finally ordered the Marantz blu-ray player ud7007 today. Below are my considerations that made me do so,

- Solid built quality vis-a-vis a sony blu-ray player (weighs 7+KG compared to sony of less than 1KG)
- BB PCM1795, 32 bit DAC with good analogue output stage ( i also checked the ckt diagram of this stage before deciding) - Sony kept me guessing what is inside and it matters to me what is inside the machine more than the sound quality. I am not saying that the sony would be sounding bad, but i would not know that unless i bought them)
- USB port which plays MP3( playing MP3 matters for me as even today 80% of my music collections are in MP3 format)
- Good quality transport vis-a-vis a sony (atleast by looking at them)
- Universal blu-ray player plays all CDs/DVDs/BD/SACD.
- Balanced output was an added +
- Good discount offered in hifimart currently which is as high as 42+% ( Better than international pricing - i checked amazon & ebay to confirm)
- SMPS power supply - you dont have to worry if power supply transformer is EI, toroidal or R-core.

Expecting the player to be delivered by tomorrow evening - hopefully.

PS:
Still looking options for the balanced to unbalanced connections - active, transformer , Rane solution.

Congratulations Hari.
It has good analog out too l guess.
Yes I think so. But the opamp used in the analogue stage are basic though OP 295 of analogue device in differential stage and a JRS opamp in LPF stage. Transistors used are KEC. None are audio grade. Coupling capacitors are Electrolytic too as per their service manual. All these can benefit by appropriate audio grade components upgrade.

Yes I think so. But the opamp used in the analogue stage are basic though OP 295 of analogue device in differential stage and a JRS opamp in LPF stage. Transistors used are KEC. None are audio grade. Coupling capacitors are Electrolytic too as per their service manual. All these can benefit by appropriate audio grade components upgrade.
Upgrades Canberra done on amp to replace the differential opamp with an Linear technology opamp, and replacing the JRS with the National semiconductor LM4562. Transistors can be left as it is . Capacitor can be replaced with Nichicon Muse type. All this only after 3 to 4 years now.
Added additional comments.

Finally the Marantz Blu-ray arrived today afternoon. I unboxed carefully and checked the quick install guide. I had already scanned the soft copy of the user manual on the weekend. The supplied power cord, RCA interconnects look solid and quite well made. I used them to connect to my console instead of my DIY IC. The hdmi cable mentioned high speed on the sleeve but could not use them due to short length. So I connected my existing MX HDMI cable to check HD content.

I played my usual know reference CD and I can say that this was one of the finest digital audio I have ever heard in my entire life.PERIOD. I have always heard this reference CD in many AV shows, friends setup and elsewhere and definitely know what I am talking about.

The Marantz don't even sound like playing a digital source. They sound more analogue similar to the Thorens and my Aiwa tape deck. Very holographic, organic, detailed. The voice tone cannot get more accurate than this. The great qualities of this player are in the mids and highs. The bass could have been better. My tape deck and Turntable bass are more realistic.

I have yet to listen other genre of music to fully comprehend this player, but I am already liking what I heard.

Saw some old dvd movies too and found the video quality nice, good contrast and more natural colour that are easy on your eyes. I don't have any bluray disc with me and am expecting them by tomorrow from a friend.

All in all, based on today's listeng session, I can confidently say that this is a excellent player for 2 channel music too. FM considering purchase should have this player on top of their list, till the discount is still on. 5 * from my side.

Last edited:
Currently i have plugged the Marantz to the wall outlet and using it to power them. I am not sure, if this should go to my isolation transformer. This unit already has an SMPS power supply and am uncertain about how much an isolation transformer would be helpful here. Any suggestions?

The player can operate between 100v to 240V 50Hz/60Hz as per the label on the back near the power input. Looking at the schematic of the SMPS, it does not look very basic and has some very sophisticated circuit implementation imo.

Recently my Marantz cd-5400 (used) cd player have gone kaput and trying to replace the transport was not successful. So i am in a look out for a new cd player. Hifimart entry level cd player cost around 22K+ which i believe is very basic. Anyway i shall be using my external DAC and not use the basic in the player. Also buying a high-end cd player cant see any sense for the same reason as then my external DAC goes waste.

So i am thinking of a basic Sony blueray player that can play most of the formats ( i dont have a working DVD player anyway). I will be using them as a transport and connect it to my external DAC for my audio purpose. This entry level Sony Blueray player is available for around 6900/- which is a base model and does most of the job. (It also has a usb port which matters to me and can also play mp3). A expensive 4K blueray player cost me around 27K, but again the fancy features are of no use to me on a day to day basis.

Would like to hear from FMs if my thinking also agree with your thought process.

Hi, the dedicated cd player is a better choice rather than buying a blue ray player or dvd player until its a Oppo or Cambridge audio Universal Disc player. for your cd u can always keep them in a digital format in HDD and play that through the HTPC.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back