Will it work ? Sony AVR from USA with Sony TV from India through HDMI ARC

I have a 110 v subwoofer which gets connected by LFE cable to the avr. Will it damage the 110 v sony avr like in ur case ? Also how costly was the repair? Iam assuming damage was to your avr power supply box / motherboard
Once you have a step down you dont need to worry about anything. My issue was due to a poorly designed diy subwoofer. And it costed around 4k to replace the power transformer.

So no worries

Once you have a step down you dont need to worry about anything. My issue was due to a poorly designed diy subwoofer. And it costed around 4k to replace the power transformer.

So no worries
Thank you for patiently replying my queries. Thinking of giving the 110 V avr a try. But my budget does not permit str dn 1080 so maybe I'll compromise with sony str dh 590/ 790 or Yamaha rx v385 / v4a. I am a little tilted towards sony cos I have recently bought sony 4k tv. But thanks to you iam a lot more confident in opting for an avr from usa now.

Thank you for patiently replying my queries. Thinking of giving the 110 V avr a try. But my budget does not permit str dn 1080 so maybe I'll compromise with sony str dh 590/ 790 or Yamaha rx v385 / v4a. I am a little tilted towards sony cos I have recently bought sony 4k tv. But thanks to you iam a lot more confident in opting for an avr from usa now.
You still have other options here in india itself for 220v AVRs. Give a try to them as well.

Well you are connecting two different issues. One the power input is the ac power you give to the components. In us it is 120volts 60hz and in India we have 220volts 50hz. The voltage we can convert with the transformer however to convert the frequency of the power supply is very complicated and costly therefore we do not do the same. Further in general this does not affect much.

Now to the features such as ARC or others these are the functions which do not depend on the power supply and if the same is available the same can be used.

So in short you cannot go wrong by mixing components which have different power supplies.

Thank you for the much needed information. I was actually trying to look for this info online but couldn't get any article addressing this issue.

So just to be clear, ARC or other such functions are independent of the power supply. Power supply is only being used to power up the avr and in my case the usa imported subwoofer also. Once powered up it's only sound signals being transmitted between TV, AVR and the speaker system which is not actually affected by the power source. Hence my TV running on 220v and AVR running on 110v both connected by ARC will not affect the sound / video quality or result in bursting of either expensive gear into flames. I also have a PS4 on 220v , should I connect it to AVR or TV to be safe as 5.1 sound will emerge in either case.

Also, if u can kindly shed some light on what should be the minimum wattage of my step down transformer so that I can connect my AVR and Subwoofer power supply to it.

Well you are connecting two different issues. One the power input is the ac power you give to the components. In us it is 120volts 60hz and in India we have 220volts 50hz. The voltage we can convert with the transformer however to convert the frequency of the power supply is very complicated and costly therefore we do not do the same. Further in general this does not affect much.

Now to the features such as ARC or others these are the functions which do not depend on the power supply and if the same is available the same can be used.

So in short you cannot go wrong by mixing components which have different power supplies.

Thank you for the much needed information. I was actually trying to look for this info online but couldn't get any article addressing this issue.

So just to be clear, ARC or other such functions are independent of the power supply. Power supply is only being used to power up the avr and in my case the usa imported subwoofer also. Once powered up it's only sound signals being transmitted between TV, AVR and the speaker system which is not actually affected by the power source. Hence my TV running on 220v and AVR running on 110v both connected by ARC will not affect the sound / video quality or result in bursting of either expensive gear into flames. I also have a PS4 on 220v , should I connect it to AVR or TV to be safe as 5.1 sound will emerge in either case.

Also, if u can kindly shed some light on what should be the minimum wattage of my step down transformer so that I can connect my AVR and Subwoofer power supply to it.
Sure your understanding is clear the power supply is powering the equipment and is not interfering in the sound signals and will not affect sound output and yes the equipment should not burst into flames. (however if you plug in the 120volt equipment into 220volts you may end up blowing up the fuse or damaging the power supply). Further it does not matter where you plug in the PS4 as 5.1 sound will be there in either case. Generally the step down transformers should be be around 1.5 of the maxuimum wattage you plan to connect to it.

Sure your understanding is clear the power supply is powering the equipment and is not interfering in the sound signals and will not affect sound output and yes the equipment should not burst into flames. (however if you plug in the 120volt equipment into 220volts you may end up blowing up the fuse or damaging the power supply). Further it does not matter where you plug in the PS4 as 5.1 sound will be there in either case. Generally the step down transformers should be be around 1.5 of the maxuimum wattage you plan to connect to it.
Many thanks to you sir for clearing some basic doubts !

My understanding is this. Whenever one mixes and matches different voltage equipment, one is that one has to remember not to mix power connections (230 versus 110). Connection wise it is not a problem. Usually AVR companies are wary of giving international warranty in India. Some companies blank shot refuse it. Look in India for the AVR is my suggestion. It will be costly but you get warranty and some peace of mind.

My understanding is this. Whenever one mixes and matches different voltage equipment, one is that one has to remember not to mix power connections (230 versus 110). Connection wise it is not a problem. Usually AVR companies are wary of giving international warranty in India. Some companies blank shot refuse it. Look in India for the AVR is my suggestion. It will be costly but you get warranty and some peace of mind.
Agreed . As per my experience any electronic equipment u buy from anywhere in world they will not give u warranty in a different country. Even if they say they give worldwide warranty, when u go to authorised service centre in india, they will point blank refuse. Now my pov on this aspect is - if u pay extra and buy in india u will get warranty but how much ...I believe most give for a year but how many electronic equipment go bad in a year. So after a year whether u buy in india or abroad ur at the same status. Now when one is buying from abroad say avr. Buying from USA is roughly 10k + cheaper . So this should take care of the 1 year warranty that ur not getting. In case something goes bad in first year, u still have the 10k u saved to get it repaired and it should suffice hopefully.
If there's no problem in 1 year then u have saved 10k rs and still at same status as someone who bought in India. U might have to deduct around 4k for the step down transformer but still 6k in hand.
That's my two bit....

Agreed . As per my experience any electronic equipment u buy from anywhere in world they will not give u warranty in a different country. Even if they say they give worldwide warranty, when u go to authorised service centre in india, they will point blank refuse. Now my pov on this aspect is - if u pay extra and buy in india u will get warranty but how much ...I believe most give for a year but how many electronic equipment go bad in a year. So after a year whether u buy in india or abroad ur at the same status. Now when one is buying from abroad say avr. Buying from USA is roughly 10k + cheaper . So this should take care of the 1 year warranty that ur not getting. In case something goes bad in first year, u still have the 10k u saved to get it repaired and it should suffice hopefully.
If there's no problem in 1 year then u have saved 10k rs and still at same status as someone who bought in India. U might have to deduct around 4k for the step down transformer but still 6k in hand.
That's my two bit....
Best deal is if u can buy from Middle East. That way u get 220v and still around 7 to 8k cheaper.

Well, then routing your flight through Dubai as quoted above would be a good option. A stay and hunt would be a good option. UAE used to be cheap, now I am not aware. Good bargaining skills a must. :) Some of them even parcel custom courier to India. I don't know if it is available now. Khaleeji used to give great ads for pre loved gear. Like I said don't know the scene now.

Well, then routing your flight through Dubai as quoted above would be a good option. A stay and hunt would be a good option. UAE used to be cheap, now I am not aware. Good bargaining skills a must. :) Some of them even parcel custom courier to India. I don't know if it is available now. Khaleeji used to give great ads for pre loved gear. Like I said don't know the scene now.
Hopefully custom guys should also be in a good mood that day !!:)

I have a US AVR and US Sub woofer - both connected to the same step down transformer. I dont use ARC and all and i am not an audiophile. Its been ten years now and my Pioneer AVR and Polk Subwoofer and the step down transformer...all working fine

I have a US AVR and US Sub woofer - both connected to the same step down transformer. I dont use ARC and all and i am not an audiophile. Its been ten years now and my Pioneer AVR and Polk Subwoofer and the step down transformer...all working fine
But AVR must be connected to TV via HDMI isn't it? What power supply is your TV on?

But AVR must be connected to TV via HDMI isn't it? What power supply is your TV on?
You seem to be confusing between power supply and audio and video out. As has been mentioned already in this thread - you only need to worry about your AVR getting 110V which you will achieve using a step down transformer. After you are able to power on your AVR without destroying your house in a major blast of fire - you are all set. HDMI or RCA or S video or any other output out of AVR has no link to the input power. Once an AVR is powered on, it doesnt matter whether you bought it in US or India - they all work the same.

I hope I didnt misunderstand your question

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back