Wireless Audio Video Streaming setup for new Home

HTPC- Home theater PC - No, if need to keep continue ON. I am having very old home pc using for common use (mainly for gaming-multimedia, 5.1 Creative wired sound system only). Internet runs on BSNL unlimited home broadband plan. In new home, I am not sure whether I continue with this old PC in new home or not?

NAS - Google says Network attached storage- is it for AV streaming ? not understood properly.

I am thinking to have (1) AVR can send AV signal to 5.1 Home Theater, LED TV, 5 speakers in living room (ground floor) and 2 in upstair (bed room)
or
(2) As above but without AVR (wondering if such advance LED TV or Home Theater available which can connect & stream directly with phone, pc, laptop, ipod, etc...

Still not sure about all this???:sad:

Your existing speaker set might not be readily usable with AVR so you might need to purchase a new speaker set matching with the AVR.

AVRs do have multi zone capability where the unused channels (after 5.1) of a 7.1 / 9.2 AVR can be used as additional stereo zone channels for other rooms but higher the number of channels more the price of the AVR since the amplifier needs to provide the power accordingly.

Regarding media storage and HTPC, what is your primary source of movie playback? Is it downloaded content from USB HDD / Pen Drives or DVD / BD that you have bought?

Yes, even basic smar phones with wifi / android / isos / windows can act as remote controller of other media streaming devices

Yes, good speakers to buy.

Noted that AVR for atleast 2 zone (Living Room -downstairs + bedrooms-upstairs) does meet required setup. No problem to invest here.

Primary source would be HD Dvd player, USB, phone in preference order for both-audio and video. I'm suspicious on my current Philips dvd player (4 years old) to play HD movie and loseless audio format.

Secondary source is net through WiFi or other (not knowing)

Just for info, listing my current (very old) multimedia rig

-PC 2nd gen-2gb, 250gb hdd, connected with Creative sbs with wired 5.1 small speakers and BSNL BROADBAND connection with WiFi router -unlimited data plan
-Philips Dvd player connect with BPL LXR OLD TV
-Samsung Tab
-Sony Xperia ZR
-LG L90
-Blackberry curve 2 phone
-Sony PSP
-HP pavilion Laptop i5 4th gen 1tb HDD 8 GB RAM

Last edited:
Till now, conclude as below, on desired setup. Make me correct if I wrong.

LED TV (with setup box)----->> AVR (with amplifier) ------>>Dvd audio video HD player----->>1 channel speakers 5.1dolby setup in living room (ground floor) ----->> second channel goes to bedrooms-upstairs for 2 speakers in each bedroom and 1 speaker in each bathroom. This is stereo setup only

Last edited:
It will be as below (I have listed the minimum you need to get started with indications on future provisions)

A/V Connections

1. AVR Connected via HDMI out to LED TV

2. AVR connected via various HDMI inputs to the following
a. Blu Ray Player (Trust me, this upgrade will not cost you a ton)
b. Reserved (for connecting to HTPC / Media Player in future)
c. Reserved (remaining HDMI inputs on AVR for future equipments like Gaming Console, etc if you buy in future)

3. Depending on set-top box variant from operator to operator you might also need a Audio (SPDIF / Coaxial) connection from Set Top Box to AVR directly in case the set top box does not support 5.1 over HDMI. I have not mentioned set top box connection via HDMI to AVR since you may utilize the Audio Return Channel feature to send the sound of STB back to AVR via the existing HDMI connection only.

Network Connections
You might want to consider upgrading your router to Gigabit model in future, for now below connections are recommended
1. Internet input to Router
2. LAN ports of router connected to the following
a. LED TV (if you will buy a networked TV)
b. BD Player (even if you do not buy the TV networked yet this can still be bought as networked) in future if you have a Media Player or HTPC then you may switch this one to HTPC / Media Player
c. AVR (assuming this will be networked too)
d. Reserved for carrying the LAN to upper floor or for NAS in future

Let me know first if this is understood, I will then come to the equipment and setup for 1st floor.

attached self made drawing after lots of brain stroming n googling. If I understood correct, then please go ahead.

It will be as below (I have listed the minimum you need to get started with indications on future provisions)
A/V Connections

1. AVR Connected via HDMI out to LED TV

2. AVR connected via various HDMI inputs to the following
a. Blu Ray Player (Trust me, this upgrade will not cost you a ton)
b. Reserved (for connecting to HTPC / Media Player in future)
c. Reserved (remaining HDMI inputs on AVR for future equipments like Gaming Console, etc if you buy in future)

3. Depending on set-top box variant from operator to operator you might also need a Audio (SPDIF / Coaxial) connection from Set Top Box to AVR directly in case the set top box does not support 5.1 over HDMI. I have not mentioned set top box connection via HDMI to AVR since you may utilize the Audio Return Channel feature to send the sound of STB back to AVR via the existing HDMI connection only.

Network Connections
You might want to consider upgrading your router to Gigabit model in future, for now below connections are recommended
1. Internet input to Router
2. LAN ports of router connected to the following
a. LED TV (if you will buy a networked TV)
b. BD Player (even if you do not buy the TV networked yet this can still be bought as networked) in future if you have a Media Player or HTPC then you may switch this one to HTPC / Media Player
c. AVR (assuming this will be networked too)
d. Reserved for carrying the LAN to upper floor or for NAS in future

Let me know first if this is understood, I will then come to the equipment and setup for 1st floor.

Attachments

• DSC_0207.jpg
    DSC_0207.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 53
but using standard media player or HTPC enabled for sound quality 5.1dolby setup, I am suspicious.

Also, no where seen 5.1 speakers connection in AV connection and network suggested i your post

You are correct, so first floor is now settled?

Sound quality difference might not be perceivable in a standard 4 to 8 K costing media player with HTPC. HTPC is for future proofing and options to customize based on needs.

Regarding 5.1 speakers, do you mean your existing 5.1 speaker set or new 5.1 you intend to buy? they will be definitely connected to your AVR.

Sound quality difference might not be perceivable in a standard 4 to 8 K costing media player with HTPC. HTPC is for future proofing and options to customize based on needs.
Then I am sure want to invest for qualitative BD player & wish to sell my old philips player
Regarding 5.1 speakers, do you mean your existing 5.1 speaker set or new 5.1 you intend to buy? they will be definitely connected to your AVR.
Surely, new 5.1 speakers on buy list. Small Creative 5.1 speakers would not serve the purpose.

So, speaker input connected to AVR, right? not understood properly.

Now, pl suggest for ground floor equipment and first floor network and AV connection.

You are correct, Speakers to be connected to AVR. However there would be separate wires for individual speakers / subwoofers to the AVR and so wire tracks for especially the rear surround channel speakers need to be planned suitably, would not be difficult for you since you are building a new house.

Now coming to the equipments for ground floor, is there a reason why you want the upper floor bedroom speakers to be connected to AVR in downstairs? This is because speakers wires over such a distance will be costly and with distance the effective power output also drops. If it is just to save cost from buying another stereo amp then that is different although a 7.1 or 9.2 channel avrs are costlier anyways than 5.1 AVR and the difference can be used for procuring a different setup for upstairs. I think you can check the price difference of 5.1 networked AVR with 7.1/7.2/9.2 and decide accordingly.

Otherwise as far as I remember from your PM if the budget is 1.5 to 2 lakhs then I think it is better to remain with 5.1 around 40K Range or at best 7.1 with some higher prices 55 to 65K.

@Doremonn - Do visit any FM's house, especially if they have a networked setup. It will give you a good idea of how to set things up. Alternate is to check out YouTube videos.

BTW, a wired network does not offer any advantages, not in terms of cost nor speed. Invest in a couple of mid-range routers and you can cover the entire house, connect multiple devices, get same speeds, etc.

Also, going by your requirement...

[3]Upstairs Only Audio

(3.1)Room-1, Master Bed Room
- 2 speakers in Room
- 1 speaker in attached Wash Room

(3.2)Room-2, Child Room
- 2 speakers in Room
- 1 speaker in attached Wash Room

Wireless speakers (WiFi or Bluetooth) are in order. No easy way to drag wires from AVR to speakers and seeing its only for music, I highly recommend wireless or Bluetooth speakers. All you need is a NAS or a PC with a shared drive and you can play/stream music upstairs with a simple mobile app from one central location. That's what I'm doing, I stream to 2 AVRs, a PS3, multiple laptops, smartphones, tablets and even 2 PCs that are on the network via WiFi USB Adapters and everything runs on 2 routers and 1 extender achieving a near 100% wireless network. Only 2 PCs and one external HDD are "wired" to the main router and only because all data is pulled from them and Ethernet speeds are better than USB 3.0.

Anyday, I want wireless network to maximum extent as musicbee suggested. If such setup is not costlier too much, I really need it then.

Even I don't mind to alter first floor network as separate channel if this idea is costly or unfeasible to stream along with ground floor media. Ready to accept ground floor as 5.1 Dolby and first floor as stereo setup, if not possible to club both all together.

Pl suggest accordingly. Thanks.

Last edited:
I agree with musicbee's opinion to have wireless speakers for first floor preferably wifi ones since those are likely to be DLNA compliant and hence you can easily control what plays through which speaker using just a smartphone.

I think its time that you start jotting down the budget for ground floor and then decide how much budget you have for first floor. Is 1.5 to 2 lakhs including TV?

5.1 AVR can be within 50K and 5.1 Speaker package can be another 40K to 50K unless you also want to consider satellite speakers or want to buy your speakers and sub separately. Reserve another 5 to 10 K for wires. What else? The BDP can be 10K and I suggest you add NAS and Media Player later on when you do your upstairs project

Ground floor

#New 42-48"LED TV
#new set top box
#new 5.1 AVR
#new 5.1 speakers
#new BD PLAYER....Since not sure existing old Philips player can play 5.1 sound or not?

First floor
# existing Router BSNL BROADBAND modem having 100 kpbs speed, is it enough to coverage 250 sq yard bunglow peripheral?? No sure...

#new wireless speakers in both bedrooms and in their attached bathrooms.

Assume that above network can be easily streamed by either instrument like phone, laptop, Tablet, ipod through WiFi, DLNA, Bluetooth, nfc, screen mirroring etc technology. Coverages within 250 sqyard bunglow area.

Allocated budget is Rs +/-2.5 lac

Need to finalise urgently now as lining work in final stage.

Last edited:
To be on the safer side you should plan for the path of 5.1 speakers and provisions for front heights in future and as such you can draw your speaker cables for now and can buy after audition the actual equipments. I hope you know the speaker placement guide to determine the location of speakers w.r.t your seating position in the ground floor living room. Apart from that plant two LAN wires (provisions for future) from ground to first floor.

Regarding cost options

#New 42-48"LED TV --> around 30K for Micromax and around 50K for premium brands
#new set top box --> Around 3K
#new 5.1 AVR --> Around 50K (assuming networked versions)
#new 5.1 speakers --> Around 50K
#new BD PLAYER....Since not sure existing old Philips player can play 5.1 sound or not? --> Around 10K (DVD player cannot play HD audio)

You should account cables cost as 10K and interconnects for another 3K

So the total ground floor cost is around 166K and we have cap left for another 80K.

I would advise to buy good routers for two floors which would be another 4K and a NAS for 20K including hard drives

That still leaves with 56K for top floor. However wireless speakers like SONOS Play 1 are costly in the range of 21K each so you might just creep in 4 (2 bedroom + 2 bathrooms) by foregoing the NAS for now or we can also look for some low cost options for the bathrooms like bluetooth speakers or a combination of a wifi DLNA docks and a normal powered speaker. Let me know if this distribution looks good.

Plan looks ok.

Edit- still prefer wireless speakers connectivity even in ground floor without compromising 5.1 audio and HD video quality

Led TV I go for Sony
BD Player to buy new for HD AV QUALITY
Two routers ok but is 100 kpbs broadband ok or not?

First floor wireless speakers which one? Sonos cost is too high
Also, not knowing use of NAS? Pardon me on this. Pl educate.

Pl suggest model brand to finalise

Last edited:
Hi Dear, Sorry I was on away on leave for a couple of days to could not respond earlier.

I would not recommend wireless speakers for the ground floor 5.1 setup since in that case your AVR potential would not be used to the fullest which you are paying for. This is because wireless speakers transmit the signal only over wireless but not the amplified power and hence every wireless speaker needs to be connected with receiver modules that have the amplifier or have in built amplifier to make you hear the sound from the signal. Your AVR on the other hand also has built in amplifier so I would never recommend wireless speakers on ground floor for the 5.1.

For LED TV please also check LG and Samsung since (I know of LG for certain) they might provide extended warranty on additional cost (check with customer care thoroughly). Are you looking for 3D or 2D or 4K?

Regarding the first floor wifi speakers, on low cost there can be a composite solutions. Here you can chose any speaker of your choice that supports 3.5mm / 2 RCA jacks as inputs (you may start with 500 INR computer speakers and later on upgrade to better speakers) like and with that attach a micro-computer board called raspberry pi following this project Raspberry Pi as low-cost audio streaming box - CodeProject which should cost you no more than 4200 INR. You need to club this DIY device with every wireless speaker that you place on 1st floor.

On NAS, for now do not worry and use your laptop or old desktop for centrally storing the media and later on upgrade to a NAS. Off the shelf Home NAS is a Network Attached Storage which is a dedicated device (read computer) that is optimized for low power consumption and adequate cooling solution so that you can use that for long hours (read non-stop run for days / weeks) and can also help with built in features for torrent downloading, acting as music server, add more drives to increase storage in future, backup features with the ability to control some or all of these through a web based UI using any browser on the same network. Some NAS also support installing custom apps and also provide mobile apps for better remote control.

Now the remaining parts, like AVR / 5.1 Speaker/etc do you have any plans for auditioning? Do you know if your city which AV dealers have outlets?

Some equipment suggestion in the budget which you can audition / evaluate

AVR
Denon AVR-X1100W
But please also check similar models from Yamaha and Onkyo depending on what is available locally

5.1 Speakers
This is a bit open area, either you can go for 5.1 speaker package which comes with speakers and subwoofer or you can buy speakers (from Polk, KEF, Dali, etc) and subwoofers (Velodyne, SBS, Polk, KEF, etc) separately which might be more costlier but definitely better potential

NAS
Depending on whether you need 2 bay or 4 bay (number of hard drive provisions) model look at Synology / Netgear / Buffalo / DLink NAS products

For DIY HTPC and NAS using normal desktop PC hardware you can search this forum there are lot of options, this is what I use now.

BDP
Sony BDP-S4200 I suggested Sony since you intend to purchase a Sony TV

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back