Wireless Earphones or a BT amp : Need inputs on making a decision

ryanrulez4ever

Hi Guys

So i switched to a oneplus 8 pro recently which doesn't have a 3.5mm jack and im currently using the USB C to 3.5mm jack converter from oneplus, and the music quality is shitty lack of sound-stage or mids or highs

The IEMs i currently use are sennheiser IE8i (ive tested these as i have tried the same IEMs on my friends or relative's phone and they shine there, and they worked fine on my previous phone Galaxy s8+)

im now stuck between below 2 choices
1) Get a wireless bluetooth adapter/DAC like Fiio BTR5 (need suggestions on options )which has support for all high res codecs like LDAC and stuff (this way i get to use my IE8is
2) Go for a completely new bluetooth earphones(need suggestions on options ) (this would make my IEMs redundant and cant use them with my phone)

Budget : 10-12k

Music source :
Tidal Hifi
Spotify
Apple music
FLACs

Requirements :
Good mic for calls as well as i use them while riding and put them under helmet
The genres i listen to are EDM, Classic rock, 80s and i would like them to have tight bass and not muddy

so guys kindly help me pick and suggest me a wireless DAC or earphones

Jabra elite true wireless - great calling etc. Won't match the sennheisers in terms of sound. If you increase your budget, RHA T20. If you go the DAC way, then you have some decent options from FiiO etc, but in terms of the most convenient if you can save up a little more, get the audioquest dragonfly, red, maybe not blue. That should cover you forever

Also I have heard decent things about iBasso, dongle type DACs, check them out they are cheap too, might work for you!!

Jabra elite true wireless - great calling etc. Won't match the sennheisers in terms of sound. If you increase your budget, RHA T20. If you go the DAC way, then you have some decent options from FiiO etc, but in terms of the most convenient if you can save up a little more, get the audioquest dragonfly, red, maybe not blue. That should cover you forever

Hi Chander

Thank you for your reply, with regards to dragonfly that would be a wired solution isnt it ? i want something wireless and portable ease of use while driving too , the T20 seems awesome when it comes to review but its like 20k (ill definitely consider T20 for an option)

Wired yes, but it will be 'similar' to using your 3.5mm jack as you earlier did. Yeah but wireless solution FiiO has decent options in your budget. The choice depends on whether you want to continue using your current earphones or you want to move on.

I personally feel, if you like something, make it work, so the DAC wired or wireless might be the way to go, though they might change the sound of your ie80s for better or worse, depends.

Hi Guys

So i switched to a oneplus 8 pro recently which doesn't have a 3.5mm jack and im currently using the USB C to 3.5mm jack converter from oneplus, and the music quality is shitty lack of sound-stage or mids or highs

The IEMs i currently use are sennheiser IE8i (ive tested these as i have tried the same IEMs on my friends or relative's phone and they shine there, and they worked fine on my previous phone Galaxy s8+)

im now stuck between below 2 choices
1) Get a wireless bluetooth adapter/DAC like Fiio BTR5 (need suggestions on options )which has support for all high res codecs like LDAC and stuff (this way i get to use my IE8is
2) Go for a completely new bluetooth earphones(need suggestions on options ) (this would make my IEMs redundant and cant use them with my phone)

Budget : 10-12k

Music source :
Tidal Hifi
Spotify
Apple music
FLACs

Requirements :
Good mic for calls as well as i use them while riding and put them under helmet
The genres i listen to are EDM, Classic rock, 80s and i would like them to have tight bass and not muddy

so guys kindly help me pick and suggest me a wireless DAC or earphones
Hello if you open for preowned have some good tws for sale including highly acclaimed momentum true wireless

The playback SQ on the Jabra Elite is great but sadly the mic quality is not.
I went through a replacement cycle (assuming the first pair was defective) and a subsequent disposal on olx for the 65t because of that.

The audio quality (if there is even moderate ambient noise) on the other party’s end is not really acceptable for anything other than a casual conversation.
I used to spend a fair amount of time WFH before the current scenario so was rather particular about this aspect - and all the more so now.

The playback SQ on the Jabra Elite is great but sadly the mic quality is not.
I went through a replacement cycle (assuming the first pair was defective) and a subsequent disposal on olx for the 65t because of that.

The audio quality (if there is even moderate ambient noise) on the other party’s end is not really acceptable for anything other than a casual conversation.
I used to spend a fair amount of time WFH before the current scenario so was rather particular about this aspect - and all the more so now.

I have heard the same about jabra elite which is why i was a lil reluctant to go for those , id have picked the xb700s and realized they were quite big and had strong doubts if they would fit in.

I am surprised actually, we run an outfit where a lot.of.people travel a lot for work and they were all given the jabras for work. We have calls all the time. I don't use them.personally, but we never got a complaint. Though maybe because they were for free ;) so no one wanted to complain.

Last edited:
I am surprised actually, we run an outfit where a lot.of.people travel a lot for work and they were all given the jabras for work. We have calls all the time. I don't use them.personally, but we never got a complaint. Though maybe because they were for free ;) so no one wanted to complain.

I use a Jabra for work but that's professional, not audio grade, but these 75ts are touted as audiophile grade, but pack a bad mic, I just got to know a friend owns it and he returned it on amazon

I too upgraded my phone and after trying out a couple of tws and listening to tales from friends, one thing was common, the mic on these are poor.

You could check out btr series of wireless receivers or go in for a Bluetooth headset.

I picked up a JBL 205bt. It's cheap and the earphone are not In Ear which I wanted. They are super comfortable, mids are lovely, highs are clean and the bass is just right. It's not bumped up or bloated in any way. The only issue I see is the battery. In 2 cycles, it lasts for about 4-5 hours against the claimed 6 hrs.

MaSh

I too upgraded my phone and after trying out a couple of tws and listening to tales from friends, one thing was common, the mic on these are poor.

You could check out btr series of wireless receivers or go in for a Bluetooth headset.

I picked up a JBL 205bt. It's cheap and the earphone are not In Ear which I wanted. They are super comfortable, mids are lovely, highs are clean and the bass is just right. It's not bumped up or bloated in any way. The only issue I see is the battery. In 2 cycles, it lasts for about 4-5 hours against the claimed 6 hrs.

MaSh

Hi there mate

How do you find those JBLs, I need LDAC for sure for high bitrate music, for work related zoom/ skype calls I have a dedicated headset from work but this would be used under the helmet while I'm riding bike

Hi there mate

How do you find those JBLs, I need LDAC for sure for high bitrate music, for work related zoom/ skype calls I have a dedicated headset from work but this would be used under the helmet while I'm riding bike
Not sure about ldac, but the sound is clear and no one on the end complained. They should be good under the helmet. Once in the ear they dont slip out and stay snug. Since they are not In Ear, I am still aware of what's happening around me.

MaSh

I have the same dilemma after upgrading to OnePlus 8. I was looking at Sony 1000XM3 which has LDAC but isn't the bitrate limited to around 990kbps. Then my main concern is how do i enjoy HiFi from Tidal and let alone the master quality audio tracks.

Is there a BT amp/DAC that will allow a good BT headphone say like Bose soundsport or Quiet comfort 35 to get the full quality of HiFi bitrate >1000kbps from Tidal or any lossless audio source?

Is there a BT amp/DAC that will allow a good BT headphone say like Bose soundsport or Quiet comfort 35 to get the full quality of HiFi bitrate >1000kbps from Tidal or any lossless audio source?
Sorry that’s a complicated question! Why do you need a Bluetooth amp along with a Bluetooth headphone?

I have tried two opinions : Sony wm 1000X3 and the sennheiser Momentum tws. Sennheiser definitely had a better mic. But Sony’s anc was more useful outdoors. Sennheiser sticked out of the ear a lot. I ended up returning both as I could not live with Sony’s awful mic quality. Weirdly the problem was only outdoors which I never understood why. AirPods are the best if priority of functionality is over the sound quality.

my friend has a galaxy buds plus which to meis the bestbalance of everything. Lower price, good mic, good sound, good passive isolatio And good battery life

I have the same dilemma after upgrading to OnePlus 8. I was looking at Sony 1000XM3 which has LDAC but isn't the bitrate limited to around 990kbps. Then my main concern is how do i enjoy HiFi from Tidal and let alone the master quality audio tracks.

Following is my feedback about SONY WH-1000XM3, using it from past 1.5 yrs
  • Sound Quality - Excellent
  • Compatibility (Win/Mac, IOS/Android, Smart TV) - Excellent
  • Ease of use & shortcuts i.e touch pad on Ear-cups - Excellent
  • Build Quality - Excellent
  • SONY headphone EQ app & Features - Excellent
  • NC during Music playback - Excellent
  • LDAC transmits approximately three times more data (at the maximum transfer rate of 990 kbps) than conventional BLUETOOTH® wireless audio devices likes of QC35 II which is only as 320kbps.
  • DSEE HX function upscale - Excellent
The only area where these headphone misses out (3/5) in effectiveness of NC during conference Calls/meetings which i started observing from past few months due to WFH scenario. For example if NC during music playback is say 100% then during calls it drops down to say 50%. Which sometimes filters in the high frequency like human voice in due to the in-build mic on these headphones. However it cuts down the low / humming frequency beautifully even during on calls like Fan / AC or Aeroplane engine sounds etc. Looks like this is done intentionally as per design of NC features by most of the brands. This has been reported by all the users on SONY community across the globe & SONY support page too.

Been said that, it exceeds expectations overall 11/10 :p in the department of what it's expected to primarily do i.e. Music.
If your looking to buy, i would suggest wait for SONY WH-1000XM4 which was launched on 06th Aug'20, should be available in stores in few weeks. Thats one of the reasons why you must have seen offers on SONY WH-1000XM3 lately.

Reviews on SONY WH-1000XM4 says they have addressed NC for Calls/meetings & they have added new Cool features too, so i guess it will be worth the wait for sure.

Cheers,
:cool:

Following is my feedback about SONY WH-1000XM3, using it from past 1.5 yrs
  • Sound Quality - Excellent
  • Compatibility (Win/Mac, IOS/Android, Smart TV) - Excellent
  • Ease of use & shortcuts i.e touch pad on Ear-cups - Excellent
  • Build Quality - Excellent
  • SONY headphone EQ app & Features - Excellent
  • NC during Music playback - Excellent
  • LDAC transmits approximately three times more data (at the maximum transfer rate of 990 kbps) than conventional BLUETOOTH® wireless audio devices likes of QC35 II which is only as 320kbps.
  • DSEE HX function upscale - Excellent
The only area where these headphone misses out (3/5) in effectiveness of NC during conference Calls/meetings which i started observing from past few months due to WFH scenario. For example if NC during music playback is say 100% then during calls it drops down to say 50%. Which sometimes filters in the high frequency like human voice in due to the in-build mic on these headphones. However it cuts down the low / humming frequency beautifully even during on calls like Fan / AC or Aeroplane engine sounds etc. Looks like this is done intentionally as per design of NC features by most of the brands. This has been reported by all the users on SONY community across the globe & SONY support page too.

Been said that, it exceeds expectations overall 11/10 :p in the department of what it's expected to primarily do i.e. Music.
If your looking to buy, i would suggest wait for SONY WH-1000XM4 which was launched on 06th Aug'20, should be available in stores in few weeks. Thats one of the reasons why you must have seen offers on SONY WH-1000XM3 lately.

Reviews on SONY WH-1000XM4 says they have addressed NC for Calls/meetings & they have added new Cool features too, so i guess it will be worth the wait for sure.

Cheers,
:cool:
Thanks a lot for the detailed input. I was very tempted to buy the 1000XM3 but will see if the XM4 is worth it.

Sorry that’s a complicated question! Why do you need a Bluetooth amp along with a Bluetooth headphone?
Well any BT headphone including the Sony 1000XM3 as indicated but a fellow FM is much better than Bose QC 35 because it has LDAC codec which can support upto 990kbps. However it will not support MQA tracks.
I am wondering if there is a way to use any DAC for BT headphones to support MQA tracks of Tidal or other services which provide that level of audio quality.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back