Wireless kbd/mouse for htpc

doors666

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a good wireless keyboard mouse that has multimedia buttons, and a range of atleast 12 feet. So far I have tried logitech EX90/100/110, but all of them are a waste and cant go beyond 5-6 feet, making them totally unsuitable for htpc applications. I have heard the same thing about the popular microsoft one (not sure of the model, was 700 or something like that probably). I also tried the iball one, that was pure junk. It was using the pen drive kind of a receiver, and needed that every time I boot the PC, I have to bring the kbd to about within 2-3 feet range for it to start working, and it still wouldnt give me the needed 12 ft range.

So what wireless kbd/mouse people are using for their htpc. any pros and cons or other pain points.

My budget is max 2k for this.

Thanx for your help,
doors

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a good wireless keyboard mouse that has multimedia buttons, and a range of atleast 12 feet. So far I have tried logitech EX90/100/110, but all of them are a waste and cant go beyond 5-6 feet, making them totally unsuitable for htpc applications. I have heard the same thing about the popular microsoft one (not sure of the model, was 700 or something like that probably). I also tried the iball one, that was pure junk. It was using the pen drive kind of a receiver, and needed that every time I boot the PC, I have to bring the kbd to about within 2-3 feet range for it to start working, and it still wouldnt give me the needed 12 ft range.

So what wireless kbd/mouse people are using for their htpc. any pros and cons or other pain points.

My budget is max 2k for this.

Thanx for your help,
doors

dude i use the logitech ex100 and it is usable over a distance of 10ft in my case - yes when the placement of the wireless signal is placed well. Try playing around while asking someone to send soe input via mouse/kybd - find the right position for placement that will help save you the 2k.

BTW in a budget of 2k all them them are the same.

dude i use the logitech ex100 and it is usable over a distance of 10ft in my case - yes when the placement of the wireless signal is placed well. Try playing around while asking someone to send soe input via mouse/kybd - find the right position for placement that will help save you the 2k.

BTW in a budget of 2k all them them are the same.

tried in all sorts of positions, couldnt get it to work smoothly, keyboard misses strokes and mouse was jerky. even on a flat surface with nothing in the line of sight, it didnt work for more than some 7-8 feet. i need min 12 feet.

Why don't you try bluetooth technology attach a bluetooth dongle to your HTPC and then buy a media board pro from logitech which includes both keyboard and a trackpad (like laptops) on a single board. This method would be slightly expensive but would give you sure shot coverage upto 10ft.

I use the logitech 710 wireless for wireless (not HTPC) the range and quality is excellent. Esp. the mouse. Make sure to use a pair of rechargable batteries as the mouse is very power hungry. Very happy with preformance though

I use the logitech 710 wireless for wireless (not HTPC) the range and quality is excellent. Esp. the mouse. Make sure to use a pair of rechargable batteries as the mouse is very power hungry. Very happy with preformance though

Thats quite expensive, saw prices close to 60 USD, it will be something like 3-5k easily here. Any other cheaper options?

Another question, can a receiver for wireless keyboard/mouse handle logitech harmony remote control, possibly with a driver update or additional software installation. Or is there a seperate receiver available to handle logitech harmony remote?

Though this may be beyond Doors's budget, this looks to be one of the best options in the world for remote control of an HTPC. To move the curson you just wave it in the air, and, it can operate from 100 feet!!!

Gyration

Cheers

Another question, can a receiver for wireless keyboard/mouse handle logitech harmony remote control, possibly with a driver update or additional software installation. Or is there a seperate receiver available to handle logitech harmony remote?

harmony works with IR whereas the kbd/mouse receiver is a RF. One way to try to see if it indeed works is program the remote to work with "Microsoft Remote Control 1039". Some people have had success with it. Unfortuantely I dont have a media center PC

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back