Wireless Streaming of Music from Android (without Bluetooth) ?

Dedicated PC as in? Would I not be able to install the Plex media server in my laptop and cast content stored in my laptop (say MP3s) to a chromecast dongle attached to a HDMI port in my av receiver?
Harsha

Yes, for your use case of streaming audio from laptop, Plex seems good. I will give it a try too, just for fun :)

By dedicated PC I meant, you will always have to have the laptop, which can be inconvenient at times. If your audio content is in cloud, then you can use any basic android device to stream to chromecast. It is just about ease of use.

I tried Plex Media Server with Chromecast. It seems like good option to stream local content to chromecast. Here is what I did..
1. Install Plex Media Server (free)
2. Add media folders to library (audio/video/photos)
3. Make sure "DLNA Server" is enabled in settings->server.
4. Browse your library from any DLNA client. I used LocalCast app on Android which has capability to cast it to Chromecast too.

I tried casting Plex library from within Chrome browser, but I got and error saying "Unable to cast - This media is currently unavailable". A quick google search shows many people face this issue. Didn't find any solution.

But Plex+LocalCast seems good combination for local content.

I tried Plex Media Server with Chromecast. It seems like good option to stream local content to chromecast. Here is what I did..
1. Install Plex Media Server (free)
2. Add media folders to library (audio/video/photos)
3. Make sure "DLNA Server" is enabled in settings->server.
4. Browse your library from any DLNA client. I used LocalCast app on Android which has capability to cast it to Chromecast too.

I tried casting Plex library from within Chrome browser, but I got and error saying "Unable to cast - This media is currently unavailable". A quick google search shows many people face this issue. Didn't find any solution.

But Plex+LocalCast seems good combination for local content.

Thanks. I will try once my setup is ready.

Does Chromecast DLNA? I have this pioneer bdp 160 blu ray player which is DLNA certified but its horrible to say the least..doesn't load most of the videos and takes ages for loading even if it supports them.

So if Chromecast is dlna compliant i won't have to buy any media player to play videos stored on my android.

I use XBMC to stream media from my desktop and tab (Samsung tab2) to my HT setup. But I feel that these software media servers are of no practical use other than wireless transfer with associated loss in quality. I am unable to stream internet media (YouTube, Shoutcast radio, etc). Since all my videos/music are in external HDDs, I can directly play through the USB, instead streaming through these media servers

My TV (panasonic Veira) has USB play back as well as DLNA and internet connectivity. But only facebook and shoutcast apps were available. I was using shoutcast to listen to internet radio.

After installing the HT, I am using the DLNA and USB functionality of the BDP and using the TV as a dumb TV. Now the BDP has no apps and hence can't play internet media. I installed the add-on for Shoutcast and YouTube on XBMC but still couldn't stream these to my TV thro' DLNA. If I can play only stored media, USB is easiest option for me

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back