Wiring diagram for extension power point

Three core wire is not a must, u can easily get single 4sqmm wires and use three colored wires in red/black/green and braid it properly. For aesthetics you can use teflon covering with heat shrinking tubes.

Where can I get this teflon covering with heat shrinking tubes? How do I apply heat?

PS: So you saying a 4sqmm wire will not fit into the connector of a 6A socket?

Regards

Its not because of the size issue. If the wire cannot handle the load, it will heat and the insulation will melt and can result in a short circuit, a common mistake which leads to a fire breakout. Always use wires\plugs\sockets with capacity higher than the expected load. Another mistake is, using all sockets\plugs\wire with 16amp rating and connect to the 16amp wall socket, but the wall socket is connected to a 6amp rated wire, in this case 16amp wall socket allows the 16amp load, but the main wire cannot handle the heat because of that load. I think if you are not sure what you are doing, consult an electrician to avoid any hazards, this is not like playing with speakers.

Sleeves and heat shrink tubes can be found in any shops which sells insulation materials in SP road. For shrinking, you can use hair dryer.

Last edited:
I think if you are not sure what you are doing, consult an electrician to avoid any hazards, this is not like playing with speakers.

Actually now I am quite sure - that I know nothing about what I started out to do :)

I'll just hobble over to an electrician tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

I have some query...

1. why do we need earth wire for Audio equipment since almost all are having two pins only.

2. Why we need 15Amps plug which they use for electric heaters and motors (where 1000 watt < power usage).
I doubt any normal audio equipment will take that much

Gobble,
Its really fun having u here. Some of the wise cracks from u and Suri have me in splits. For prolonged amusement of all our members i strongly urge u to GO TO AN ELECTRICAN. :D
Its not difficult to make a good power strip at all but would not advice a novice to attempt it un supervised. Once the electrician opens up the wall outlet he will also easily tell u the condition and grade of wire that supplies to the box. He can even replace the 6A with a 15A if possible.
Yes u can make a power strip without switches and only operate from the wall outlet switch. U guys should use schuko plugs for making your power strips. They are easily available in bbay at least, for not much more than the silver anchor (presume the ROMA) that u are using.
Earth wire can easily be one single wire as once the sockets are fixed on to the box the earth pin will be in a straight line.All one does is unscrew all earth pins and run a long enough wire through all and tighten. The L and N u will have to loop with a 2.5 sq.mm decent quality wire.

I have these Anchor Roma switches all over my house and i dont like them. Lots of them have sparked over the years and the regulators are pathetic. They do look neat and are cheaper than some of the current ones in the market though.
Rgds

Hi,

I got an extension box made a few months ago. I have a 3 core (each 4sq mm) cable going into the box from a wall outlet through 16A plug. Inside it's a star configuration. All inside cabling is done with 2.5 sq mm. I am not too sure about the earthing, but it was done by a qualified electrician and he explained but can't quite remember at this point. I just bought all the stuff for him. The box has 6 sockets and no switches. The box , all sockets and plugs are Crabtree and all cabling is Finolex.

Is Crabtree any good? All the plugs make a very good fit in the sockets. So far have had no problem.

Regards.

I have some query...

1. why do we need earth wire for Audio equipment since almost all are having two pins only.

some vintage gears have 3 pin

2. Why we need 15Amps plug which they use for electric heaters and motors (where 1000 watt < power usage).
I doubt any normal audio equipment will take that much

if you plan to connect 2 power amplifiers it could take more than the mentioned. finally it will be a overload at the plug point. hence 16A power plug will be recommended.

Hai Gobble,

Instead of wooden box you can purchase Anchor-ROMA brand , Poly carbonate box to mount the sockets and switches , you will have to purchase the templates, switch and socket seperately and assemble them. It looks good and is also sturdy, and easily wireable. Here is the link :

http://www.vijeshelectricals.com/anchorroma.html

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

Hi,

I got an extension box made a few months ago. I have a 3 core (each 4sq mm) cable going into the box from a wall outlet through 16A plug. Inside it's a star configuration. All inside cabling is done with 2.5 sq mm. I am not too sure about the earthing, but it was done by a qualified electrician and he explained but can't quite remember at this point. I just bought all the stuff for him. The box has 6 sockets and no switches. The box , all sockets and plugs are Crabtree and all cabling is Finolex.

Is Crabtree any good? All the plugs make a very good fit in the sockets. So far have had no problem.

Regards.

Crabtree = very good, better than most ; regards

Hi
Anand, lots of gear requires ground too and its mandatory to provide it. Lots of amps consume power and rather than risk the cable heating, its best to buy a 4 sq.mm or higher and 15A sockets. Most of the new 15A sockets also accomodate the 6A snuggly so where is the problem? Its pointless to put 15A sockets if the wiring is not capable of the current naturally.

Asit crabtree/Finolex extension box is good. U wont have any issues. For the audio set up I have a dedicated line with Finolex wiring and an assortment of British wall outlets connected to a 16A tripper and am satisfied. From what i recall the line tripped only when the Rotel had a fault and a couple of times when I had the Bryston 14BSST on loan.
Rgds

Thanks Venkat and all others. I already got the wooden box and the faceplate made. and purchased Anchor silver sockets.

I thought these MX and Belkin stuff is only good for PC's as they use some circuit/fuse that affects the sine wave. Am I wrong?

TIA
Regards
what is the power lead length u are planning?

@dinyaar,
normally an electric iron which got some 1000watt load has got 6A plug socket with it. And if my total load which will not go beyond 500watt in AV setup, should I go for 16Amp plug?
And if my AV load goes beyond 500Watt I better stop listening (the power bill will say):)

Last edited:

@dinyaar,
normally an electric iron which got some 1000watt load has got 6A plug socket with it. And if my total load which will not go beyond 500watt in AV setup, should I go for 16Amp plug?
And if my AV load goes beyond 500Watt I better stop listening (the power bill will say):)

One meter. Yeah I would'nt buy a system that consumed so many watts !!

Regards

@dinyaar,

U are right anand it is ok to use 6A for devices that use less current. U know most steam irons that i have used have schuko type plugs that are rated @ 16A and my kitchen has 16A sockets/4 sq.mm wiring for it.
Point to note here is that the amp will not consume the consumption figure menioned as that is at full load and one is never going to go there!!!
I used a Bryston Power amp for years now and even the 4B consumes a lot of power and more if the load is 4 Ohm, so my wiring is done to accomodate such amps. U need not if u dont see yourself going that way in the near future.
Rgds

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back