wooden rack for diy

amit11

Hi friends,

i was looking out for audio rack. but it seems like the cost of ready-made racks is very high and they are as such not made in India.

I was thinking if possible to build a wooden rack with three shelves, at home. The idea is something like this. Also pics for diagram attached.

Number of shelves = 3
4 strong pillars made of teak wood. Pillar size would be 1.5 inch X 1.5 inch thickness.
The shelves would be of ply of thickness 18mm. Or i have heard that MDF is also used for racks. I would prefer wooden shelves but not sure if they are available in the size required.
Instead of putting sunmica/laminate on each shelf, i think a wooden feel is better for look and from audio perspective aswell. So thinking each ply is covered with vineer sheet on all sides. After that i can do some polish on each of the shelves to give the wooden look and feel.
The pillars would be attached from the left side and the right side to the shelves. That would free up the in-between area of shelf for complete use.
(see diagram attached)

any suggestions welcome. the above is just a thought so not sure if it would ever materialize. either i diy at home or explain to a carpenter.

regards,
amit11.

Attachments

• amit_rack_wood.PNG
    amit_rack_wood.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 100
Hi friends,

i was looking out for audio rack. but it seems like the cost of ready-made racks is very high and they are as such not made in India.

I was thinking if possible to build a wooden rack with three shelves, at home. The idea is something like this. Also pics for diagram attached.

Number of shelves = 3
4 strong pillars made of teak wood. Pillar size would be 1.5 inch X 1.5 inch thickness.
The shelves would be of ply of thickness 18mm. Or i have heard that MDF is also used for racks. I would prefer wooden shelves but not sure if they are available in the size required.
Instead of putting sunmica/laminate on each shelf, i think a wooden feel is better for look and from audio perspective aswell. So thinking each ply is covered with vineer sheet on all sides. After that i can do some polish on each of the shelves to give the wooden look and feel.
The pillars would be attached from the left side and the right side to the shelves. That would free up the in-between area of shelf for complete use.
(see diagram attached)

any suggestions welcome. the above is just a thought so not sure if it would ever materialize. either i diy at home or explain to a carpenter.

regards,
amit11.
I recently built a custom rack using a local carpenter. Just gave him the design and dimensions. Look at the below thread for reference. Materials used was plywood. My requirements was to have a rack which can be closed with wheels and open in the back.

if you can make stackable and also have some isolation between would be good. For example, below is just reference, you can still use plywood for shelf and teak wood for legs

hifi-racks-podium-reference-8603-p.png

if you can make stackable and also have some isolation between would be good. For example, below is just reference, you can still use plywood for shelf and teak wood for legs

View attachment 50099
Trying to understand.
How are the spikes at the bottom of each leg fitted to below? is it just kept by gravity?

Check out hifi racks. UK based manufacturer of wooden racks. Easy to get it made by a local carpenter

I recently got an expensive audiophile rack made from a wood worker in Bangalore. Process - find a design you like ( my reference also had measurements on the website), I got the.legs made of 2" oak and shelves of 2" Russia berch plywood. Picked-up spikes from soundfoundation. PM if you want contact info of the woodworker he is a smartguy, kinda helps if you want to avoid all the explaining you probably will have to do to local wood worker.

Last week I made two audio rack with teakwood pillars,plywood covered by teak veneer (cost me approx ₹16k) including TT stand.yet to polish

Attachments

• C2540F3D-CE91-45F6-8461-924ABBDC866F.jpeg
    C2540F3D-CE91-45F6-8461-924ABBDC866F.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 798F824F-DEA3-4747-A689-89836A4406AE.jpeg
    798F824F-DEA3-4747-A689-89836A4406AE.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 219
If the shelves are modular and we stack them one upon another, it means that there are chances that particular shelf can slided away by mistake if someone applies a little force to move it side ways?

If the shelves are modular and we stack them one upon another, it means that there are chances that particular shelf can slided away by mistake if someone applies a little force to move it side ways?
It depends on how heavy the shelves and feet are. My two shelf rack weighs 35+ kilos, I doubt they would move or slide away.

I recently got an expensive audiophile rack made from a wood worker in Bangalore. Process - find a design you like ( my reference also had measurements on the website), I got the.legs made of 2" oak and shelves of 2" Russia berch plywood. Picked-up spikes from soundfoundation. PM if you want contact info of the woodworker he is a smartguy, kinda helps if you want to avoid all the explaining you probably will have to do to local wood worker.
Hi @Kapeel

If possible please share some pics of the rack you got made yourself.

Thanks.

Thats exactly my fear about staked racks.

I was initially thinking of total 3 shelves. Then i thought it might become crowded eventually after putting power stripes, and any other item which can be added in future. So is it good to have extra 1 shelf for future? But i also heard that less the height of rack, the better. So whether increasing the height can have negative impact on the sound?

How wide can you host in the room?
Try side-by-side double decker
Can easily fit 4/6 components

If you do 3 in a row, double decker even HT can be hosted

Cheers,
Raghu

I finally decided of building at home, instead of asking carpenter to do the whole thing.
To start with I along with my father visited a plywood shop. We checked wood strips availability of 2inch X 2inch. normal ply of 18mm is being considered. And also some side strips to attach to ply.
In advance we also bought "electronic screw driver" and a metal kind of thing so that we can cut slots into the wood. Normal drill machine, hammer etc we already have at home as usual.
Next step is to finalize and purchase the wood and ply and side stripes. We will not cut the ply at home but rather ask the shop keeper to cut the ply in the required measurements and he is kind of ok for that. (ofcourse for some extra money). Also to cut the wood strips in required measurements (the pillars of the audio rack).
After that the idea is to assemble everything at home by cutting slots, attaching them with screws using the machine recently bought. Then doing some finishing/sanding and then some polishing. this is the plan as of now... will keep updated. excited for this diy.. :)

If you haven't started yet, here is one other option.

I built my HT stand on which my center speaker rests on top, with my receiver on left and 2 amps on right.

The structure is built using Aluminum T20 slots. The slabs is out of wood. Came out very well. Very easy to build. Got the wooden slabs done by someone else. IMG_20201012_001901969_HDR~01.jpg

If you haven't started yet, here is one other option.

I built my HT stand on which my center speaker rests on top, with my receiver on left and 2 amps on right.

The structure is built using Aluminum T20 slots. The slabs is out of wood. Came out very well. Very easy to build. Got the wooden slabs done by someone else. View attachment 50793
It looks great. Can you indicate the cost and specifications of Aluminum T20 slots?

Regards
Sachin

Almost a year since I made it. So might be a bit off.
I had planned to create a thread here, unfortunately my phone conked and lost 3 months of photos.

I used 30x30 instead of 20x20 TSlots. 20x20 is less expensive.
Got it painted black, came in silver. Factory itself got it done.
Got it directly from factory in Bangalore a few kms from Rajkumar samadhi towards mysore road on the ring road.

Cost me about 10k + GST for the aluminum framing, TNuts, washers, etc. About 3-5k for the wooden slabs, could have been more

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back