Wooden rack for hi fidelity equipment

Hi Square_Wave,

Did you finally make the rack or got it done from anybody?

could you share more details if you got one.

Regards, Amit

Hey Amit - If you are looking for a start with Hifi Racks why dont you go the DIY way?

I in-fact wanted a second rack and have already finished the planning phase. Just need to implement the plan. The one I was looking at was with steel rods and MDF planks which will be adjustable and the rest you can customize. Cost effective as well.

Off topic.

How does a rack effect the sound quality?

When I started reading this thread where type of wood vs tonality of sound was being discussed, I thought that speakers are being placed on the rack.

Looks like even placement of amps and players on wooden rack changes the sound signature!!!

Racks can have a major impact on sound. In my opinion, the best rack is one that gives a platform as stable as cemented floor, does not resonate and provides enough ventilation for the equipment.

Contact 'magma' for his wisdom on rack designs.

Hey Amit - If you are looking for a start with Hifi Racks why dont you go the DIY way?

I in-fact wanted a second rack and have already finished the planning phase. Just need to implement the plan. The one I was looking at was with steel rods and MDF planks which will be adjustable and the rest you can customize. Cost effective as well.

i will probably give a call to you to discuss on the same, at the same time i was keen on wooden one. Let us see how it goes.

I have been using a "solid" (IMO) MDF rack for some years now, discovered the other day that it was bent, ever so slightly. However since I have a TT, the effects were very noticeable. So junked it. Now I am looking at a wooden rack, some of the racks here look awesome, however need a carpenter. Also I understand that Mr. Moorthy of Tools and Trades does make customised racks. Need to check it out. The reason I am not very gung-ho of the metal and glass types is the mishandling that happens all the time at home....

Anyone in Bangalore find alternatives please post.

cheers

I have been using a "solid" (IMO) MDF rack for some years now, discovered the other day that it was bent, ever so slightly. However since I have a TT, the effects were very noticeable. So junked it. Now I am looking at a wooden rack, some of the racks here look awesome, however need a carpenter. Also I understand that Mr. Moorthy of Tools and Trades does make customised racks. Need to check it out. The reason I am not very gung-ho of the metal and glass types is the mishandling that happens all the time at home....

Anyone in Bangalore find alternatives please post.

cheers

Hi Gopib

I am also considering getting one wooden hifi rack, please let me know once you find a carpentar to execute the same. if we have 3 or 4 people who want wooden rack then a carpentar might be happy to do it of 3 or 4 people as he gets more money.

But before that we need to zero on the wood we want to use to make the same.

Regards, Amit

Amit,

On the wood my findings (from reading, listening etc.) are that Teak is the best with some caveats. The teak should be well seasoned, if not there is a possibility of warping later on. Sheesham is quite heavy, but traditional carpenters are not very happy with it, I do not know why. Teak has a good feel and can be polished to suit your decor quite easily. It was also suggested to me to get used teak wood, meaning reclaiming from old furniture. The reason being that such wood would be properly seasoned and there is absolutely no chance of warping.

Well all this can happen only if we get a willing carpenter and that my dear sir is the big issue......

cheers,

Guys - I dont think getting a carpenter will be an issue. You need a good quality carpenter who can do the job aptly. Second, for a small project they may come expensive. And if you are looking at a design like Shivams rack, it should not be very difficult for a seasoned carpenter.

Hi Gopib

the side coloumns of the Rack can be made of the teak wood, i have doubt if we can make the shelves with the teak or not as we might not get wide teak wood planks or they may be very costly. alternativly we will need to join smaller teak planks to make bigger planks.

Have you heard anybody making hifirack with rubberwood. It is easily available, Rubco from Kerala sell treated rubberwood panels and wood pieces.

I think you dont get shesham in Bangalore, it is famous in northern part of the country, most of the sheesham wood furniture sold in Bangalore is actually manufactured in Rajasthan.

Let us work on the design and sources of teak wood.

I am confident that we will be able to find a carpentar to do the same.

We can talk to the FMs who have recently got their speaker cabinets assembled by the carpentars.

Regards, Amit

Hi Gopib

I am also considering getting one wooden hifi rack, please let me know once you find a carpentar to execute the same. if we have 3 or 4 people who want wooden rack then a carpentar might be happy to do it of 3 or 4 people as he gets more money.

But before that we need to zero on the wood we want to use to make the same.

Regards, Amit

Mee to looking for a rack to keep the AV stuff in the corner of living room. The rack should have ventilation and should be supported in wall and not on flooring as it will be hanging 1.5feet above ground and will be 6feet tall and 2.5feet wide.

Back